Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Video:

I have this annoying whine coming out of my tranny, the sound disappears when i press in my clutch, i can hear it wind down as if a rotating mass is slowly coming to a stop. the sound reappears as soon as i start letting go of the clutch.

Car has been a 4 year slow restoration project, part of the build was replacing 3rd and 4th gear synchros and 3-4 sleeve due to a grinding third gear - this is the first time ive run the car. fresh tranny rebuild, fresh V160 Toyota fluid.

Any help would be appreciated, I was very happy to finally start the car after 4 years, the whine really put me down.

-Sam

·
Registered
82 Posts
If it is there when the clutch isn't pressed and it's in neutral, maybe it's the input shaft bearing? Always hard to tell through video. Video isn't a Supra but you get the idea :p. If it's while in gear and it happens maybe throw-out bearing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it is there when the clutch isn't pressed and it's in neutral, maybe it's the input shaft bearing? Always hard to tell through video. Video isn't a Supra but you get the idea :p. If it's while in gear and it happens maybe throw-out bearing.

turn up the volume! :LOL:

happens when the car is in neutral with the clutch out (not pressed in) and goes away with the clutch in (pressed in). havent tried driving the car.. and wont try.

hope its an input shaft bearing, at least i know that part is available.

any more input will really be appreciated!

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
498 Posts
If the sound is present when foot off the clutch that eliminates the input shaft bearing(in the crank) and clutch release bearing.
Since the clutch locks the input shaft speed to the engine flywheel speed = no bearing spinning there.

I would say you have an issue inside the trans, bearing or gear.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Damnit I have the same issue, albeit a lot quieter in my Supra and S15. Always thought it was the throwout bearing.

·
Boost Junkie
12,689 Posts
Throwout bearing sounds more like marbles inside a metal pipe. That sounds like a bearing inside the trans to me.

Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you figure out the issue? I'm having the exact same sound with a w58 setup right now after doing a manual conversion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts