Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:madfawk: I went to toyota today to get a few parts and they wouldnt even look up the parts w/o a VIN. What the fuck. I had to drive all the home to get it and now i dont want to go back cuz im afraid theyll send me away for not wearing a tie. the parts are for a 92 manual shifter, ok so its for the car. But i was going to order a vpc valve and hose off a 93-98 TT too, i wonder what kind of shit im going to catch for that. Has anyone else ran in to this problem.

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
Its a common thing to need the vin. Although it was very "assholish" to send you home they probably had enough of looking up specific cars without the vin. its time consuming to look up cars asking the customer "is it turbo?", "hardtop or targa?" etc etc. the vin tells them all that instantly and puts all the specifics in for them. They are probably a busy dealer with no time for BS

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i understand tring to be efficient but what an ass, if he asks for a vin on the 93 tt that i dont have im going to poke his eyes out

·
RIP 86.5 N/A, Hello 90T
2,293 Posts
Who give a FLYING F*** if their busy. I know my buddy Jeff Watson would NEVER do that. Champion Toyota here in Houston (give him a call he'll ship them, as well as give you good deals). I have dealt with Jeff Watson and the parts team at Champion for a couple years now and have NEVER ran into ANY problems, let alone something absurd as this. I mean they are getting a rediculous ammount of money for their parts so why not be nice and give a person a damn cookie before you ram the 10 ft. pole up thei A**. Seems your dealer likes to ram ya with no lube.

D
0 Posts
Ive had my local dealership do that to me too. Their excuse was that each car came in different options and in order to find certain parts they needed the vin. Its annoying, but just keep a copy of your vin in your wallet, problem solved.

·
Registered
689 Posts
just keep a copy of your vin in your wallet, problem solved.
but that doesnt solve his problem of wanting parts off a car he doesnt have a VIN for

but yah thats dumb, who cares if theyre busy. i get busy at work too but i still have to take time to cut lunchmeat for some annoying customer.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Jeff Watson. great guy. Curt Aigner doesnt carry 1jz parts, so i never order from him.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i would order from those guys if i didnt have to have them today, all i need is the shifter bushing and a clutch salve cyd. bushing. For future parts how do i get a hold of jeff or curt?

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I'd find another Toyota dealer for sure.

That and I always walk in with the part number I want - snag it from the EPC that I have a copy of ahead of time. Then I don't need to worry about them looking up the part.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,347 Posts

·
92 TURBO
999 Posts
LST-SOL said:
:madfawk: I went to toyota today to get a few parts and they wouldnt even look up the parts w/o a VIN. What the fuck. I had to drive all the home to get it and now i dont want to go back cuz im afraid theyll send me away for not wearing a tie. the parts are for a 92 manual shifter, ok so its for the car. But i was going to order a vpc valve and hose off a 93-98 TT too, i wonder what kind of shit im going to catch for that. Has anyone else ran in to this problem.

^ Not defending your dealer, but sometimes the vin # is needed to tell the dealer the cut off dates for a change that might have been made on a part. The last 6 digits of the vin # is the consecutive unit # off the line. It identifies the month of manufacture and auto manufacturers sometimes make running changes thru the model year on their vendor sourced parts.
My vin #'s are on my insurance card which I have in my wallet so I always have them.
~ mike

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,347 Posts
If you're well informed you can let them know that before you even ask for the part though.

Just say you need X part, for an 88 Supra, made in 02/88, colour is blue, or whatever. It's still pretty easy if they have the VIN, then they know all about the car, colours, options, manufacturing date, helps get the right part the first time.

Sometimes I order stuff that was from a different year/month/model, though, in which case my VIN would be useless to them.

·
92 TURBO
999 Posts
^ Jeff, I recently ordered a timing belt for my '92 which was built in May of '92. According to the Cygnus site ( Jay Marks/ Champion) and my Toyota dealer it could be either part # 13568-42011 @ $19.32 with usage dates of 9004-9205 OR # 13568-49015 @ $25.45 with dates 9205-9305. Since my car was built in May and there was overlap in the part #'s, which # would I give him to order? It turned out to be the 2nd one. My vin # told my dealer which one to order as his parts application guide broke down the cut off date by the last 6 #'s in the vin which in my case was 161672. This also happened once before with a front brake part that I had to order, but I can't remember the specific part.
BTW, I always do the same as you by looking up and giving him the part #'s over the phone. I've noticed that when there is a choose on part #'s on the site, my car always requires the more expensive one. LOL
~ mike

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,347 Posts
Usually because the cheaper one gets updated to the more expensive one. (Even if they'd both fit, they only have the more expensive one anyways). Happens all the time with Toyota parts. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts