Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the event is full. It looks like Frank Ward and I will be the only Supra's at the event. It does look like there could be some fun competition attending the school. Of course there will be a lot of M3's and 911's but some of the other cars worth metioning are as follows.

1991 911 Turbo, 1976 Ferrari 308 GTB (slow but cool), 2 BMW M5's (new model), 1996 911 Turbo (993), 1996 Dodge Viper, and a ZO6 Corvette. Hopefully some of these will be in the same group Frank and I will be in. :)

G

·
0 Posts
yeah when is it? id love to come out and check everything out and meet some of you guys!

Rusty R.

·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the big event is this weekend. Any of you guys going to be there to see the festivities?

It will be me (95 Supra TT BPU), Frank Ward (97 Supra TT BPU++), my wife (97 BMW 540i 6-speed), and a friend (94 RX7 TT intake, M2 downpipe, HKS exhaust, Apexi Power FC, M2 medium intercooler, 12psi).

The RX7 TT that's going may have a blown engine (imagine that). At this point it seems to run fine but he had some detonation yesterday and has had a strange miss at idle since then. He is bringing the car anyway since he isn't worried about the apex seals taking out the turbo since he has a T78 (fuel pump, injectors, HKS BOV, etc.) on the way.

Later, Steve

R

·
0 Posts
Steve,
I'm still planning on being there Saturday with Alexs brother. He knows some of the Bimmer guys that will be there, so it should be pretty fun even though I'm not in the actual event.

Peace

·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will see you there.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
506 Posts
Damn i really wish my dad and I could have gone. Maybe i'll see you guys at Kershaw or Roebling. Do you guys do a lot of the BMW driving schools?

·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eric, thats great. People still don't realize that $$$'s don't make you a better driver.

RCGsupra, we try to do more Porsche schools, because as a whole the BMW's tend to get in the way even more than the Porsche's. :D

Later, Steve

·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't have any of the "hot" cars that I mentioned earlier in my run group, so no great kills (Frank Ward did smoke the Viper in his group, even though it came in on a trailer) :) . I did have a lot of fun with a Dinan M3 (supercharged). This car had the full Dinan package with R compound tires. He was faster, but I could have taken him if I had R compound tires instead of Kumho 712's. :) I also had my car detuned (stock muffler and 15 psi).

My best lap time was a 2:23.81 which was while lifting to let the Supercharged M3 pass. :( This was an average speed of approx. 82 mph (3.27 mile track). I feel pretty good about this considering I was on street tires and stock brake pads. There is definitely 2:19's in the car on a clean lap.

Here is some of the info I posted about the weekend at VIR on the General forum. The speeds metioned below are pretty much correct after reveiwing the video.

VIR is a very, very, very, did I say very busy track. Here are some of the things happening on the three sections of the track where you would be hitting your highest speed.

1. The Front Straight. The Front straight is basically one large diameter turn. Your track out point is the beginning of the braking markers for turn 1. If you miss your apex you will go off track. I hit between 135 and 145 mph here.

2. The area between the Snake and the Climbing Esses. You hit your highest speed while in the Climbing Esses flat out in 5th gear. Needless to say, you don't want to miss an apex here. Just ask the instructor who got out of shape in the Climbing Esses and missed his line for turn 10. He went off track, into the tire barrier, and rolled his car 3 times. I hit between 125 and 135 mph at the top of the Climbing Esses.

3. The Back Straight. On the Back Straight you crest a blind hill at around 140 mph (thank goodness for corner workers). On the other side of this hill you go down hill into the braking zone for the Roller Coaster. You have enough space between the blind hill and the braking zone to look at your speedometer, but I never did. The Roller Coaster is a series of turns much like the Cork Screw at Leguna Seca. You don't want to miss you braking zone here. It would get very ugly. I probably hit between 145 and 155 mph in this section.

This is a great track and I will definitely return (you know I still need to figure out that turn 1-2 combo, turn 11, turn 15) Well you get the idea. I did manage to get into 5th gear in all three of the above sections.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
513 Posts
Originally posted by Steve Jarvis:
My best lap time was a 2:23.81 which was while lifting to let the Supercharged M3 pass. :( This was an average speed of approx. 82 mph (3.27 mile track). I feel pretty good about this considering I was on street tires and stock brake pads. There is definitely 2:19's in the car on a clean lap.
M3s are surprisingly fast on a track. Their biggest problem is a lack of power, which the supercharger addresses. There was a supercharged M3 at an event I did a couple of years ago that was really fast. Oh, and get some R compound tires! :)

VIR is a very, very, very, did I say very busy track. Here are some of the things happening on the three sections of the track where you would be hitting your highest speed.

1. The Front Straight. The Front straight is basically one large diameter turn. Your track out point is the beginning of the braking markers for turn 1. If you miss your apex you will go off track. I hit between 135 and 145 mph here.

2. The area between the Snake and the Climbing Esses. You hit your highest speed while in the Climbing Esses flat out in 5th gear. Needless to say, you don't want to miss an apex here. Just ask the instructor who got out of shape in the Climbing Esses and missed his line for turn 10. He went off track, into the tire barrier, and rolled his car 3 times. I hit between 125 and 135 mph at the top of the Climbing Esses.

3. The Back Straight. On the Back Straight you crest a blind hill at around 140 mph (thank goodness for corner workers). On the other side of this hill you go down hill into the braking zone for the Roller Coaster. You have enough space between the blind hill and the braking zone to look at your speedometer, but I never did. The Roller Coaster is a series of turns much like the Cork Screw at Leguna Seca. You don't want to miss you braking zone here. It would get very ugly. I probably hit between 145 and 155 mph in this section.

Later, Steve
Sounds like a fast track. I only use fifth on a couple of tracks out here. I think I'd want at least a rollbar in the car before I would push hard on a track like that.

I finally did Laguna Seca last month. The Corkscrew is pretty amazing. It's so steep that you can't even see 8A (the right hander at the bottom) when you're at the apex of 8 (the left hander at the top). You have to wait until the car has rotated the appropriate amount, then turn back the other way. The games I've seen don't represent how steep and abrubt it is very accurately. It's really not that hard of a turn once you get it down, but it's pretty intimidating the first time, especially in the wet, which is how I did it. I got the car seriously sideways at the bottom when I got back on the gas because I didn't realize how slippery the track was. It took a few laps for the crease in my driver's seat to go away. :)

·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
R compound tires take all the fun out of it. It is a lot more fun for guys to find out that you just passed them on street tires. :) Even worse when they find out it's cheap Kumho's. :D It's amazing how many times you catch cars in the turns and all they have to say is "it's just that top end turbo power". Oh well I guess it's better for their ego.

Later, Steve

PS To be truthful, I can't justify the extra cost of R compound tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts