Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tarheel region BMWCCA www.tarheelbmwcca.org is having a drivers school on March 9 & 10. Anyone interested will need to send in an application in as soon as it's posted on the website. It should be available on the wesite on January 22nd. BMWCCA members get first priority and will be able to send in thier applications on January 2nd so the school will fill up very very fast. The cost is $315 for non-members for two full days of track time (usually about 175 miles on the track).

This is a great track www.virclub.com 3.27 miles with elevation changes and everything. BPU Supra's will hit over 150mph on the back straight, over 140mph on the front straight and over 135mph going into the climbing esses. This is one of the few tracks where you will be able to exceed 135mph three times in one lap. :) Hopefully I can break 160mph on the back straight with my new SP63. :D

If your intereseted and plan on sending in an application, let me know and we will all try to pit together.

Right now I believe my friend in the Viper GTS (with smooth intake tubes, exhaust, and intake manifold) will be there. I also have a friend with a T78 RX7 that was also planning on attending. Of course his RX7 isn't running right (possible hurt motor) so I don't know if he will make it or not. Of course you never know whether an RX7 will make it or not. :) My wife will also be attending in her Audi S4.

Later, Steve

·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I should have said I have a long straight road where you can use tons of hp, but don't have to drive. Maybe this would have gotten the interest of Supra owners. The Supra gets no respect at the roadcourses because no one (well almost no one) uses them. Supra owners tend to give BMW owners a bunch of crap, but go to an event and see how many M3 owners are actually using their car. Most Supra owners talk about how much better the Supra is than a Mustang or Camaro because of the world class brakes and suspension. Yet they would be better off buying the cheaper Mustang or Camaro considering they only think they are using their world class brakes and suspension. Please someone prove me wrong and put your Supra on the track where it belongs.

Later, Steve

PS I just needed to vent.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Steve,

I'll sign up for the event but I don't own a Supra. I just ran VIR full with SpeedTrialUSA Dec 8, 9th and there was a guy in a black Supra running on Sunday. I didn't get a chance to talk to him and find out his name or anything though. It truly was an amazing sight seeing a Supra TT and more than one TTZ at the track. I've never seen another TTZ or a Supra at the track. Can't bash the BMW guys, they show up in force and usually drive the cars hard. maybe I'll see you there.

Scott

·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are correct, I used to have a black 95 TT. Someone pulled out in front of my wife and it was totalled. I bought the red one shortly after. I have a lot more done to the new Supra and can't wait to get it to the track. The last time I was at VIR there was a 300ZX TT. It would be nice to see more Japanese super cars at the events. The RX7's have gained some respect and hopefully the Supra will also. At least at VIR. This will be my 3rd time to VIR and it is a great track. I'm sure you would agree. Are you a member of BMWCCA? If not, let me know if you get accepted to the event.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
513 Posts
Steve Jarvis said:
I guess I should have said I have a long straight road where you can use tons of hp, but don't have to drive. Maybe this would have gotten the interest of Supra owners. The Supra gets no respect at the roadcourses because no one (well almost no one) uses them. Supra owners tend to give BMW owners a bunch of crap, but go to an event and see how many M3 owners are actually using their car. Most Supra owners talk about how much better the Supra is than a Mustang or Camaro because of the world class brakes and suspension. Yet they would be better off buying the cheaper Mustang or Camaro considering they only think they are using their world class brakes and suspension. Please someone prove me wrong and put your Supra on the track where it belongs.

LOL. Vent on Steve! Maybe you should have said it was a street race, where you can stand around in a parking lot somewhere and lie about your car for hours, then drive around for several hours trying to find races that either never happen or get broken up right after they start. How could driving on a real racetrack compare to that? :)

It really is a shame that more people don't make use of the world class suspension and brakes that mkivs come with. You see loads of cars that are a lot less track capable out here on racetracks while mkiv owners are too busy buying body kits and louder BOVs to spend time on a racetrack. I'm doing my part. I got about 1500 track miles in last year.

F

·
0 Posts
Steve Jarvis said:

Later, Steve

PS I just needed to vent.
Preach on brother!

-mike

J

·
0 Posts
You gentleman may soon have another preacher amidst your ranks...and I think I may have found my mentors!

I am currently considering purchasing an MKIV Supra, and after extensive research, I am completely shocked at how little discussion there is about road racing or autoX within the Supra community. Reading all of the magazine articles, etc at MKIV.com, the editors have done nothing but heap praise on the handling, braking, and overall ability of the car on a circuit. When I come to the boards however, all I hear about is drag racing on the street or strip. I am somewhat apprehensive about purchasing the car for this very reason. On one hand, professionals praise the car and rate it among the very best on a road course, while the average owner apparently never uses it on one in the US! Therefore, I'm a bit unsure of what exactly the car is capable of, and how it will hold up under track use. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there about using it for this purpose.

The one shining star is Andi's boostaholic site, which I'm enjoying thoroughly. Watching the videos on that site really makes me smile when I consider the potential of this car. I have never seen a supra TT at an autoX or drivers ed event in the northeast, and frankly it's a bit baffling.

Now is the part where I ask the experts for advice... :) I currently drive an integra Type R, which is a great track car (regardless of what everyone on these forums will say). The only problem is, I need more power and RWD, while at the same time retaining the same level of reliability and ease of driving. The supra seems to fit the bill nicely. I am also considering the new 350Z, EVO VII, or WRX STi (if they make it here unspoiled). I've also considered an E36 M3, but honestly, I want more than 240 hp.
However, I have located a 93.5 in showroom condition with 20,000 miles on it. It has never seen rain, etc. I would be able to get this car at a substantially lower price than I would pay for any of my other potential candidates...but I'm having a hard time considering a car that is nearly 10 years old.
Also, here is a more specific list of concerns I have about leaving my current car, and relative to the other cars I mentioned above:

1. weight: Going from a 2500lb car to a 3500lb car is going to be a very big change for me. I'm very concerned about how the car will feel at autoX and on the track. I love how tossable my car is, and how nimble it is in transitions. How does the supra fare on lower speed autoX transitions, etc? The weight concern leads me to...
2. brakes: From the sounds of it, the brakes are top notch...how do they hold up on the track though? My current car only needs some track pads (I use porterfields), and its good to go...basically no fade and it stops all day with a firm pedal. Does the supra need special car in this area?
3. steering feel/road contact: I read a few reviews that said the steering on the MKIV can be a little numb, and that the cabin is very subdued. My car is the exact opposite...you hear every tick of the engine...completely stripped of soundproofing. I'm concerned that the supra will not be as involving to drive, and that the engine note will not stir me. How involving would you consider the car relative to others on the track that you have driven or ridden in?
4. Turbo: Power is something I'm really looking for. My car is basically anemic anywhere but on the track, and even then, it has absolutely no TQ. I want power, but I'm concerned about the life span of the turbos under hard use (at stock boost levels). From what I gather, the system is about as reliable as any turbo car is going to be, even at power levels way beyond stock, but I want to hear about firsthand experiences...how are yours holding up?
5. Maintenence: Tied to the turbos...I don't want to have to pour money into the car to keep it running strong. Sure it will need all of the maintainence, etc. I just worry that other more expensive items will bleed my wallet. Have you had any other specific mechanical problems that needed repaired or replaced. Were they able to be prevented if you knew what you know now?
6. Weight: Yes, I know I already said it...I just don't want the car to feel like a pig. I know its not much heavier than other big power cars like a 996 turbo, but the others I'm looking at are all around 3100 or less.

I think that's about all I can think of for now. I'm also worried about resale value if I don't like the car. I know after all the craze from that ridiculous movie dies down, prices will drop. I'm just not sure I'll be able to find a pristine example of this car again, since so many are being bought up and ripped apart.

What do you guys think? Could you please address some of my issues? Should I just buy the supra?

Other uses of the car would be general driving duties, backroad twisties, and if lucky an occasional quick shag with the top off!

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
1. Transitions do suck... I have been beaten by an ITR at an autocross, as I have stock suspension. 97s and 98s (like mine) have softer suspension than the previous years. But you will probaby end up getting coilovers anyways. I typically beat most car w/o race tires at autocrosses, but if you are looking for a car thats great at autocrossing you might want to look elsewhere (note: my tone might change when I put Teins in).

2. See the Carbotech Pather + thread in this section. Supras are heavier and reach much higher speeds than ITRs, so yes you will need better brake pads.

3. It is a little numb, I don't really notice it though. The car is very easy and predictable to drive at the limit. Honestly, I don't see how any of that matters when your driving. I can't hear anything through the helmet anyways.

4. If you run the turbos in TTC, you probably won't have any problems, short of the turbo's oil seals wearing down over time, which causes them to puff blue smoke. This isn't really a problem unless it gets real bad, which should take a while. If you run stock boost they might last forever - no one runs stock boost. You can't run high boost on the road course with stock twins anyways. Trust me, you WANT a single.

5. I haven't had any problems I haven't caused myself. Eric Typpo should be able to give you a better.

6. I don't know, my car seems to do as well as a local rx7, and hes got A032Rs, suspension and much more experience. In an autocross he'd hand me my ass (until I put these Teins on at least :)) but road racing he barely edges me out. With aftermarket suspension it does fell much more nimble, but its not a light car.

I'd get a hardtop if possible, frame flex with the top off sucks.

Oh, and don't buy a Supra thinking you'll be happy with stock boost and stock turbos, we both know you won't. Stop fooling yourself now and buget upgrades :)

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Steve--

If I lived anywhere near NC I'd come to that road course event, it sounds like a LOT of fun! :( BTW i got my rear CCW's on this evening. They're NICE. :) Can't wait for the fronts to get built and on my car... :)

J Ritt--

First thanks for your kind words. Sorry I haven't updated the site in a while; haven't had time.... I'll try to make an update in the near future.

I'm going to answer your questions in the quote below:

J Ritt said:
You gentleman may soon have another preacher amidst your ranks...and I think I may have found my mentors!

I am currently considering purchasing an MKIV Supra, and after extensive research, I am completely shocked at how little discussion there is about road racing or autoX within the Supra community. Reading all of the magazine articles, etc at MKIV.com, the editors have done nothing but heap praise on the handling, braking, and overall ability of the car on a circuit. When I come to the boards however, all I hear about is drag racing on the street or strip. I am somewhat apprehensive about purchasing the car for this very reason. On one hand, professionals praise the car and rate it among the very best on a road course, while the average owner apparently never uses it on one in the US! Therefore, I'm a bit unsure of what exactly the car is capable of, and how it will hold up under track use. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there about using it for this purpose.

The one shining star is Andi's boostaholic site, which I'm enjoying thoroughly. Watching the videos on that site really makes me smile when I consider the potential of this car. I have never seen a supra TT at an autoX or drivers ed event in the northeast, and frankly it's a bit baffling.

Now is the part where I ask the experts for advice... :) I currently drive an integra Type R, which is a great track car (regardless of what everyone on these forums will say). The only problem is, I need more power and RWD, while at the same time retaining the same level of reliability and ease of driving. The supra seems to fit the bill nicely. I am also considering the new 350Z, EVO VII, or WRX STi (if they make it here unspoiled). I've also considered an E36 M3, but honestly, I want more than 240 hp.
However, I have located a 93.5 in showroom condition with 20,000 miles on it. It has never seen rain, etc. I would be able to get this car at a substantially lower price than I would pay for any of my other potential candidates...but I'm having a hard time considering a car that is nearly 10 years old.
Also, here is a more specific list of concerns I have about leaving my current car, and relative to the other cars I mentioned above:

1. weight: Going from a 2500lb car to a 3500lb car is going to be a very big change for me. I'm very concerned about how the car will feel at autoX and on the track. I love how tossable my car is, and how nimble it is in transitions. How does the supra fare on lower speed autoX transitions, etc? The weight concern leads me to...
Get some Tein Coilovers and TRD (or bigger) swaybars and you won't notice the weight anymore except in tire wear. Heh.

The Supra is great in autocross transitions, especially if you have a stiffer reear swaybar than front ;).

2. brakes: From the sounds of it, the brakes are top notch...how do they hold up on the track though? My current car only needs some track pads (I use porterfields), and its good to go...basically no fade and it stops all day with a firm pedal. Does the supra need special car in this area?
Hawk Blues in front and you won't be able to fade them.. Don't forget the SS lines and Motul 600.

3. steering feel/road contact: I read a few reviews that said the steering on the MKIV can be a little numb, and that the cabin is very subdued. My car is the exact opposite...you hear every tick of the engine...completely stripped of soundproofing. I'm concerned that the supra will not be as involving to drive, and that the engine note will not stir me. How involving would you consider the car relative to others on the track that you have driven or ridden in?
100x more involving than, say, a Porsche 996TT.... if that means anything to you.... AJ was kind enough to let me drive his 996TT so that's why I have a point of reference. :)

4. Turbo: Power is something I'm really looking for. My car is basically anemic anywhere but on the track, and even then, it has absolutely no TQ. I want power, but I'm concerned about the life span of the turbos under hard use (at stock boost levels). From what I gather, the system is about as reliable as any turbo car is going to be, even at power levels way beyond stock, but I want to hear about firsthand experiences...how are yours holding up?
I can't seem to be able to kill my stock twins... even with road racing at 15-17psi and occasional street racing at 20psi on race gas.... ;)

5. Maintenence: Tied to the turbos...I don't want to have to pour money into the car to keep it running strong. Sure it will need all of the maintainence, etc. I just worry that other more expensive items will bleed my wallet. Have you had any other specific mechanical problems that needed repaired or replaced. Were they able to be prevented if you knew what you know now?
Get a good clutch from the start.... like an RPS Stage 3 all carbon with a stock flywheel.. will cost $1100 in parts alone... other than that... ther'es other little stuff I'm forgetting but it shouldn't be too bad....

6. Weight: Yes, I know I already said it...I just don't want the car to feel like a pig. I know its not much heavier than other big power cars like a 996 turbo, but the others I'm looking at are all around 3100 or less.

I think that's about all I can think of for now. I'm also worried about resale value if I don't like the car. I know after all the craze from that ridiculous movie dies down, prices will drop. I'm just not sure I'll be able to find a pristine example of this car again, since so many are being bought up and ripped apart.

What do you guys think? Could you please address some of my issues? Should I just buy the supra?

Other uses of the car would be general driving duties, backroad twisties, and if lucky an occasional quick shag with the top off!

Thank you so much in advance for your help.
Tein Coilovers and you won't feel the weight. AMHIK. :)

Andi

J

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the info!

Hi guys,

Thanks for all of the info. Andi actually touched on a point that made me a bit concerned...tire wear. How bad is this car on tires? For example, how many autox's or track events could one get from a set of Kumho Victoracers? ....holds his breath....:)

As for modifying the car...I would most likely 'try' to keep the car stock until next winter. The dynamics of my car are completely different than the supra, so I want to ease into it and get used to having all that weight and power to throw around. If I spend more on top of the price of the car initially, my girlfriend might just bring harm to me as well (i'm sure we all know this story).

Down the line though, yes I will definitely upgrade the car. If I wanted to keep it completely stock for good, I would possibly consider something else. I just have yet to see something with so much potential at a reasonable price (even at inflated F&F prices). So do you think a pristine 93.5 with 20K miles is a good buy at $25k?

I figure, even if I hold out for one of these new cars, they are all going to be in the $30k range. Drive them off the lot, and they are only worth $25k. I just wonder how the market prices will shape up when these cars are released. Would my newly purchased supra be worth $15K next year...worries me a bit....hmmmm...decisions, decisions.

Thanks again for all of the help! :D

·
Registered
513 Posts
J Ritt said:

I quit autoxing about the same time I bought my Supra, but I did autox it a couple of times. It would be a fun car to autox on an open flowing course, but you definitely feels it's size and weight on a tight course. It probably wouldn't be my first choice for an autox car.

Nope, the brakes are one of the best aspects of the car. Short of newer Porsches, you won't find a better set of brakes for track use from the factory. A good set of race pads, and a fresh fluid change with decent fluid (I use Valvoline Synthetic) is all you need.

I'd rate steering feel as ok, but not great. It is without a doubt the best handling car I've ever driven. It is very predictable, easy to steer with the throttle and very easy to gather back up if you push things a little too hard. Engine sounds are pretty subjective, but few things sound as good to me as an inline 6. No 4 cylinder I've ever heard VTEC or not comes close. :)

Once you drive a BPU Supra, you'll wonder how you ever lived without torque. :)

5. Maintenence: Tied to the turbos...I don't want to have to pour money into the car to keep it running strong. Sure it will need all of the maintainence, etc. I just worry that other more expensive items will bleed my wallet. Have you had any other specific mechanical problems that needed repaired or replaced.
Were they able to be prevented if you knew what you know now?
The only things I've had to fix in a little over 2 years of ownership, and about 2500 track miles are a clutch, which was the result of about 40 passes at the dragstrip on drag radials, and a rear wheel bearing, which does seem to wear a little fast on these cars. Probably a function of the weight and power of the car. It's almost a cliche, but everything on these cars is really overbuilt. I've run mine at BPU power levels on a 110F day for as long as I was able to stay in the car on a racetrack, and the temperature gauge didn't even wiggle.

You'll have to drive and and make the call on that one. I love driving mine. They definitely don't feel as light and tossible as a 2600 lbs. car, but it's not a big pig as some people would have you believe. The car really seems to shrink after you drive it for a little while. It seemed a little big to me at first, but doesn't feel that way at all now. The only light RWD car with decent power in the same price range I can think of is the third generation RX7, and they just don't hold up with hard use.

I can't recommend the cars highly enough, and can't think of a better platform under 30K to start with for a track car. They handle great, have great brakes, make a lot of power with minimal mods, and are deadnuts reliable. You could start with another platform and build it up to the same level of performance, but you'd end up spending a lot of time and effort modifying it, and probably have a lot less reliable package when you're done.

I woudln't worry about prices plunging. They were high before the movie came out. The cars really haven't depreciated much since I started looking for one about 3.5 years ago.

J

·
0 Posts
Supra and Autox

J Ritt

The Supra is a very competitive autox car. Kent Rafferty and his wife have both won recent SCCA National Championships in their Supra, running in Street Modified. The setup the fast autox Supras are using appears to be high spring rates and big wheels/tires, with soft to moderate stiffness anti-roll bars. Ground Control, Tein, and HKS are probably your best bets for coilovers having sufficient spring rates for racing, with Ground Control being the highest rates. I recently began Solo2 in my '97 and found my Koni/Eibach combination to be too soft to control roll, even with TRD bars. For a road race setup, which is probably not too different than an autox setup, Andi, Eric and Jeff Watson at Jay Marks Toyota are your best sources of information. The beauty of the Supra is that it can do everything well. For autox brake pads, I've been using Hawk HP +, which is a marginal pad for road racing. It is a compromise pad, in that it doesn't take time to heat up before creating friction (good for autox), yet it doesn't have the temperature capability to stand up to extended track runnning. I think it is a very good autocross pad. It is noticeably better than the stock pads, friction wise, in autox. The stock brakes on the TT are quite sufficient for autox or road racing.

Jeff

J

·
0 Posts
Thanks again for all of the help guys. :)

I'll let you know if the deal works out for me...hopefully it will.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I will admit that you see more people talkng about drag racing on this forum and MKIV. I am trying to do my part here in Alabama to carry the Supra torch in sports car events. I do the Solo 2 events in super stock, soon to be A Stock. I am going to street mod anyhow. I also do track events most recently at a Shelby club event where I got invited and spanked the supercharged Saleen Mustang by a few seconds a lap. Took out all but two of the Cobra replica cars too. They are pretty cars though and fast in the right hands. So Supras are getting put through the paces in road racing . Hmmm, VIR sounds pretty tempting. Congrats me by the way (or call me a glutton for punishment) but I was appointed the SCCA club racing chairman for the Alabama region last week. By the way Steve you will have to come to Birmingham when our new 16 turn, 2.3 mile 30 million dollar FIA and FIM approved road course gets completed (2003)http://www.barbermuseum.org/project_update.htm
check it out. Good things are happening in the road racing world. I hear VIR is outstanding.
Barry H.

·
966 Posts
Hey! I was there, I was with the guy with the Miata with the shark teeth in front. He was in the intermediate run group. I didn't bring my car because I didn't get off my ass and prep my car in time for the event. '94Z32TT, you had the green Z correct? I was gonna talk to you but I wasn't sure if you were the one from the forums or not.

I spoke to the guy with the 93.5 hardtop Supra TT. He lives fairly close to me. Really cool guy. We were thinking about planning a meet for the NoVa Supras and maybe Zs . . . interested?

I think I will be attending an event at VIR at the end of February. All I can say is that the track is very nice, very fast, and the facilities are top-notch. One thing that kind of concerned me: on Saturday, there were sixty (60) offs! Not all of the offs can be blamed on the beginners either as the Archer Viper went off in the last session on Saturday and one of the FFR Cobras got hurt pretty bad.

On a side note, I was talking to a guy with an '01 Z-06 and he went through three quarts of Mobil One in two track days. He says it's going in to get re-ringed soon. :p

Later

'94Z32TT said:
Steve,

I'll sign up for the event but I don't own a Supra. I just ran VIR full with SpeedTrialUSA Dec 8, 9th and there was a guy in a black Supra running on Sunday. I didn't get a chance to talk to him and find out his name or anything though. It truly was an amazing sight seeing a Supra TT and more than one TTZ at the track. I've never seen another TTZ or a Supra at the track. Can't bash the BMW guys, they show up in force and usually drive the cars hard. maybe I'll see you there.

Scott

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yup, that was me in the dark green Z. I don't remember your friend's miata offhand but I didn't get a chance to see much of the intermediate groups run so I probably missed it. I'm surprised anyone would've remembered me from this forum since I hadn't posted here in so long but next time come say hi, it's always cool meeting people from the forums. I'm planning on signing up for the SpeedTrial VIR event at the end of February also. I had run the VIR North course before, which is nice, but the full course is incredible. I was pretty bothered by the 80+ offs as well but hopefully they can work on whatever it takes to bring that # down. I didn't have any offs that weekend but I was still getting used to some new suspension work so I wasn't pushing the car near it's limits which probably helped. I didn't get a chance to talk to the Supra owner but my friends running with him in the advanced group said the car/driver was pretty quick. Either way, I'd definately be up for a NoVa meet sometime even if I was the only Z there but I'm sure a few more would show up. I usually hang out with track guys, none of who own Z's so I don't know any of the NoVa Z owners but I'm sure a few would be interested in coming if it was posted on-line somewhere. I've seen a bunch of nice Supra's around here so I'm sure there'd be a bunch of Supra owners willing to do a meet. Hopefully I'll see you at VIR in Feb.
Later
Scott

·
Registered
346 Posts
By the way, did you happen to see the white '83 Lotus Esprit Turbo on the track? I passed him on the back straight and noticed when I went by that it didn't sound like a turbo 4 cyl. I looked at the car later and the guy was running a Ford V8 from an SHO linked to a Porshce 911 gearbox. The swap was really well done and the car was sweet.

Also, www.Trakcam.com has a bunch of the pictures from the event up already.

Scott

·
966 Posts
Hehe, I did see the white Esprit, but I had no idea it was that extensively modded. I wish I would have known and taken some pictures of the engine bay. I took exterior shots, but no engine shots. Yeah, the TrackCam pictures are nice, but pretty pricey.

My friend with a blue 944 turbo was there on Saturday too, not sure if you remember that car or not. I went on the parade laps on Saturday and it looks like a really fun track. I wish I had brought a G-Tech, because the owner of the black Supra took me out on the skidpad . . . we maintained around 40 mph and ended with a nice smoky donut! Yum :D

I hope to see you there in February too, hope the weather cooperates like it did for the Dec 8-9th event.

Here's a pic of your car:

·
966 Posts
And another . . .

1 - 20 of 33 Posts