Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit of an odd question, but I'm in the market for a new engine, and I came across an engine for sale (in Australia where I am) and apparently it was removed from a 98 Supra.
The problem is that the photo's I've been suplied with are not exactly that great in quality, and some of the details about it seem to not add up (such as the lack of VVTi).

What I'm trying to work out is which one.

So far the differences I do know are that the plugs on the US spec ECU seem to have stagerred pins, where as the Jap spec have matrix style pins.

Another thing I've also noticed is that one of the pictures of a close up on the ECU, I can't make out but I'm sure it says 95 if I read it in the way Australians would write it, but it says 97 in the way US and Jap would write it. ~_~ I don't know.

I've attached ECU close up.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ah, never mind. Just worked it out. ^_^
For those who're interested, it is a Jap spec ecu.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i dont know if yr expecting turbos, but thats an n/a ecu?

D

·
0 Posts
VVTi was on all j-spec's after july 97... so thats not an indication of expecting a turbo... actually, i thought all US spec 97.5+ were vvti... but the US spec turbos never got vvti... ?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, from what I know, the US spec NA's only got the NA, but the TT didn't.

That ECU is definantly a GTE ecu.

If you look at the three plugs there, the first two (left and centre) have a clip over type clamping system, where as the third (the right) has an insert pressure clamp type system (what ever their official names are).
The US spec was different. I managed to work this out from a set of diagrams I found on the mkiv.co.nz website.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Drake said:
VVTi was on all j-spec's after july 97... so thats not an indication of expecting a turbo
i was just asking if he was expecting turbos, i wasnt making any assumptions based on vvti. he hadnt stated GE or GTE in the initial post.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^_^' No worries. Yeah, It's a GTE engine, apparently taken from a 98 J Spec supra.

Except it's not VVTi, and from what I can tell, it never was, so I think it was transplanted in there.

·
Registered
171 Posts
could b.

maybe the non vvti engine still made it into a few early 98 cars? it was released in sept 97. just guessing [shrug]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts