Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a used pair of volks, but they don't have hubcentric rings. They're the gt-p's. My friend, however, bought new volk gram-lites, which came with hubcentric rings.

Should my gt-ps have come with the rings, or are many of you volk guys running without them? LMK please, so I know if I have to get some.

·
11,219 Posts
Yes, I have the same question. I'm considering getting some Volks too. What happen if you don't run the hub centrics? Will the rim like wooble or something?

The hub centrics go on the inside of the rim so it fits snuggly around the hub of the rotors.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mustang wheels are of a larger center bore. If you run any type of Mustang wheel, you need concentric hub adapters for example. It is just basically a custom fit spacer sort of deal. It is cone shaped to allow the wheel to rest on the "hub" and not the 5 actual mounting studs. You don't want the wheel weight and stress on the 5 bolts, so yes, if your bore on your volks does not match the bore of the Supra stock, then you should get concentric hub rings. Most places can supply them for pretty cheap. You need the hub size, and the bore of the wheel size and get a concentric ring with both those sizes and that is all!

You can, and many people do, mount wheels on the 5 studs, and do not utilize concentric hub adapter rings. I would advise against this, but it does work. To each their own.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep. Michael's got it. The ADR's DID NOT come with rings from the factory, but I bought those ones that he has pictured and they fit perfectly. However, I hear all volks come with rings.

·
Banned
5,064 Posts
Mark,

Prior to me selling my Volk LE-37T, which did not have hubcentric rings worked fine on my supra. I believe the older volks are lug centric and the newer ones aren't. But I never had an issue with wobble or shimmy in the wheel.

vnt ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^^ Glad you chimed in Val, thanks bud. I had thought myself that perhaps the old ones were more specific to our set-up, and the newer ones (for manufacturing ease) now utilize hubcentric rings rather than a SPECIFIC design to the wheel per model of car. It makes sense, so that they could put the same wheel on several different hubs that way.

My gt-ps are year 2000, so I'll assume they're the older set. ;) Thanks Val.

·
looking for another Supra
1,890 Posts
thats good you brought this up. i just got done fightin with my hubcentric rings. they basically center the wheel. without them it will be almost impossible to put the wheel on. They slide on and hold the wheel in place before you tignten them basically. but since the standard ones are metal they sometimes get stuck on the wheel and you have to use a crow bar or some crap to yank them out. I hate them but can't go without them.

can us to have them allready swap to a rubber or plastic one like the ones mike pictured.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
You can run without them... but why would you if they're available? Why add more stress to your lug bolts?

Hubcentric rings reduce stress on your lugs. It will reduce most if not all of hte vibration issues on a properly balanced round wheel.

All Volks had hubcentric rings.. even the older ones. We've never installed one without.

Regards,
James R

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^^^ Then why are people chiming in thnat some of their sets that they bought new awhile back didn't have them.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
Chucky Doll said:
You need the rings. They're aren't cheap either. Without them you will have a nasty vibration, plain and simple. Good luck.

they are cheap as hell - what are yours platinum coated??

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^^^^ Haha no, Chucky just always thinks everything for the MKIV has to be expensive, he's always like that.

·
11,219 Posts
Let's say I have a set of Volks without the hub centric rings, where can I get some? I found a vendor online, but they require measurements (inner diameter & outter diameter).

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When I put mine on, I'm gonna test and see if my common hubcentric rings will fit the volks. If they do, I'll order another set and let everyone know.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts