Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
"DANNY TANNER!!!"
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any VW owners here??? i'm looking at like a 2001+ model, either jetta or golf. Preferably the golf. Also does anyone know if the 2.8L V6 is faster then the 1.8T??? i like the 1.8T because it's turbo and more expandible in terms of modding.

My parents owned a 98 golf and the thing had horrible electrical and rusting issues. Has the problems been resolved with the newer models??

Derek

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
I would sooner buy a horse and ride around like fucking zorro then buy a Dubber with no comprehensive warranty. Just keep that in mind. And the 1.8 is my choice if you do go with it.

·
Super Moderator
11,152 Posts
PhoeniXDownVII said:
Older VW > Newer VW

Anything by Toyota, Mazda, Nissan, or Honda > Anything by VW

:ugh2:
QFT

·
!black
4,622 Posts
What is the older hot-hatch VW? It actually looked kinda good, oldschool...

I wouldn't touch a new VW. I wish the quality was better for Audi, the old TT's are still pretty cool looking and unique (but apparently, are shit).

·
"DANNY TANNER!!!"
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if they are so bad, then how come so many people buy them??? like what exactly goes wrong with these cars??? i know electrical WAS an issue with the older models, what about the new ones?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
1.8t ftw...i wouldnt own a vw but that would be my choice. A 1.8t in like an A2 chassis Vdub would be cool.

Oddly enough the worlds fastest 4cylinder vw is my friends garage right now. Search "Orange Crush" on vwvortex if intrested.

·
6,137 Posts
derK said:
if they are so bad, then how come so many people buy them??? like what exactly goes wrong with these cars??? i know electrical WAS an issue with the older models, what about the new ones?

why did people buy the focus, the pinto, the gremlin, various GM products, land rovers, early 90's chryslers etc?

It satisfies a want. MB's and BMW's have pretty crappy quality especially for the quality, but people buy what they want. Dubber makes some good looking cars and used to be pretty good cars way back... its also a house hold name.

There are a lot of electrical gremlins still with VW. I like a lot of other pieces of them, interior, exterior, and some suspension, but they are really arent reliable. I would consider one if I had free time and a big warranty, other then that, its not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
143 Posts
to answer your question the 2.8 is faster than the 1.8t if they are both stock. however there is zero aftermarket for the 2.8. the 1.8t responds decently to mods, but it is by no means fast. so if you want a peppy little car get the 1.8t equipped model. on a side note my 2000 a4 has been perfectly reliable, no gremlins whatsoever....knock on wood...

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
Mr. Wob said:
There are a lot of electrical gremlins still with VW. I like a lot of other pieces of them, interior, exterior, and some suspension, but they are really arent reliable. I would consider one if I had free time and a big warranty, other then that, its not worth the hassle.
The interiors are absolute crap. Ask anyone in a detail shop what some of the worst interiors are and I guarantee newish VW's are at/near the top of the shit-list. The carpet and upolstery (sp) are thin and near impossible to get sand, hair and stains out of. The materials seems thick and solid to the initial touch, but for some reason everything wears out at 3X's any other manufacturer's rate. Eg, you'll have a heel-hole through the floor mat and floor in 40,000kms that would take 150,000 in an Accord. The plastic stratches very easily and all the accessory stuff (ash trays, power outlet covers, center console pieces) falls apart if you look at it too hard....let alone actually use it.

Ehn, those cars just make my head hurt whenever I see one on the road. But hey, if someone wants a vehicle that breaks down all the time, depreciates faster than a creamsicle falling in shit and takes an unnessasary/unreasonable amount of time/effort/money to care for, all for the sake of being "cute," fly at er.

·
6,137 Posts
I dont think I ever noticed increased wear on the interiors. Then again most new Dubbers I have driven were just that - new.

·
6,137 Posts
it was not - nor where the other zillion cars in Wolfsburg, Germany - there are Wob plates all over !!! :run:

·
Heja BvB
240 Posts
Hahah, yeah we were in Wolfsburg - f'n 90% VW population. I wanted to line up a shot in a parking lot to get like 10 WOB's in a row but there was always one straggler screwing it up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My sister's 2000 VW Cabrio has only 58k miles and is ready to die... VWs are crap nowadays. Same problem with my dad's Audi A6.

I would stick to something Japanese.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
My Mammy's 2005 Passat with the turbo engine has been problem free for a good part of a year now. It has great heated seats , or as she calls them, the Beaver Heaters.

Her last car was an Altima 3.5 and it frequented the shop quite often. Talk about a shitty interior, the shift boot on the manual tranny was replaced 3 or four times, plus other little things went wrong.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I bought my wife a 2004.5 GLI and it has been problem free since day 1. 25,000 miles of problem free driving. VW's are hit or miss, you either get a great one or a terrible one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts