Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey again guys,

I think I have a problem :dunno: Here it goes...

First some background; I have in my Supra today, mounted 7 Apexi gauges, one FJO WB, one HKS EZ V EBC, a big and hefty stereo with 2 amps and 2 12" subs and a headunit with GPS/DVD, AEM, HKS DLI and all the extra stuff that a singled Supra should have :D

Now for the problem, when I crank the stereo up 6 of the gauges that are mounted in the passenger airbag and are connected to the same place in the dashboard (I think it's connected to the stock clock cables) starts "flickering", they almost light up and flow with the bass in the music :)

The WB also reads a bit higher when I turn the volume up and this is what scares me!

At first I thought it was some kind of bad grounding cable to the 6 gauges by the passenger airbag, but now that I know that the WB reads a bit leaner while turning the stereo up I never boost the car with the volume up :( This is very annoying and also frightening, I really do want to be able to enjoy my car to the fullest without having to worry about turning the stereo down each time I want to boost it :(

Can it just be a bad ground for 6 of the gauges because the rest never "flickers" when I turn the stereo up, once again, I would think it was a grounding problem as well IF the WB hadn't changed and read about 0,2 - 0,5 leaner during high stereo volume :dunno:

Is it a bad idea to have 6 gauges connected to the same cable for example, the stock clock? Or should I spread them out to different cables instead to get rid of the flickering problem? Or is that caused by something else?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
this has been discussed on the aem forum. You need to run a dedicated ground from the FJO to the battery terminal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mad TKD said:
this has been discussed on the aem forum. You need to run a dedicated ground from the FJO to the battery terminal.
I see, what does "dedicated" mean? I'm from Sweden so my english pretty much sucks :(

Will this solve the FJO reading problem So it has nothing to do with the actual reading going lean? It's just a error that makes the gauge to "seem" it reads leaner?

What about the flickering of the 6 gauges, bad ground? So theese 2 problems are not connected with eachother?

Lots of questions I know, please bare with me, season is comming up and I need to have the car 100% before :D

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
It means the Ground wire that comes with the FJO needs to be run all the way to the Negative side of the battery. So you will need to get some good wire and do that. It will only take 10-20mins

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mad TKD said:
It means the Ground wire that comes with the FJO needs to be run all the way to the Negative side of the battery. So you will need to get some good wire and do that. It will only take 10-20mins
I see, that doesn't sound that hard :D I'm going to have to see how the current ground is wired, never leave your car to people who doesnät do everything right the first time and 110% :(

Any ideas on the other questions I asked? :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Since you have so many other gauges I would probably do that with those too since you are there. That would help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mad TKD said:
Since you have so many other gauges I would probably do that with those too since you are there. That would help.
So one separate ground for each gauge to the negative terminal on the battery? Lots of wires :)

Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, I need to *drive* the car and turn the stereo up for theese problems to occur, that's not possible for the moment :(

But I am going to see how the stuff are wired today since it isn't me who have done the job in the first place. And if it isn't grounded as you have told me to do I will fix it ASAP! Is some special kind of wire needed?

But IF it's not the grounding, what else could it be? I have no electric fans and stuff neither so?

Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
chupacabra said:
I am no stereo expert, but if you are running big amps, dont you need to install a capacitor or something?
Capacitor? Do you mean like a small looking thing that "power up" the battery?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts