5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i'm getting one of the two. there's pros and cons with both:

Porsche 944
Good
-fast
-comfortable
-can be a total beater and still look cool
-great for drifting(very tail-happy car)
Bad
-high maitenance
-I4(i want a V6, dammit)
-sub-par mileage
-parts are hard to find/engine bay not big enough for the engine i'd put in.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Volvo 240
Good
-safe
-indestructable
-mucho comfortable
-great mileage
Bad
-a tad bit slow
-speedy versions are waaaaaaay too hard to find
-has the aerodynamics of a lego brick(8x2)
-again the I4(can take a V8, but takes a lot of modifying to get one to fit.)

--EDIT--
which one should i get? i'm really into both, but i can only ge one at this point in time. once i get nough cash, i'll get both, but which should i buy first?

·
Reppin' da 902
145 Posts
volvo, can't be killed and the 2.3 4 in them are pretty much bullet proof and easy to turbo if it isn't already ......however they handle like shit plain and simple and the brakes are garbage. But upgrade the brakes and suspension some other smalls things and you'll have a fun car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Given the choice between the two I'd go with the Porsche. You only live once and the 944 has a lot more potential than the 240.

Check these guys out if you decide to go with the 944:

powerhaus.com
lindseyracing.com

They both have all you need for a fast and reliable 944.

It's still gonna be pricey though.

S.

·
Registered
693 Posts
^Powerhaus isn't around anymore. Dave closed up shop a few years ago and had just been selling off remaining inventory.

Vitesse Racing is a VERY good option as well for bolt-on kits for 951's. I used his Stage 3 setup (don't ask turbo specifics...all I know is they are Garrett-based hybrids). 400+ whp and a bit more in rwtq with 50/50 weight distribution, great balance, and under 2900lbs with minimal weight redux makes for a FUN car on the cheap.

The only 944 you should be interested in is a turbo(aka: 951).

Great cars but be aware they are the better side of 20 yrs old, so make sure you update EVERYTHING you can wear item-wise before you start tacking on the mods. Most of the time, the performance mods actually do serve as the updates.

Best Porsche bang-for-the-buck this side of the 996TT, and can be pretty lethal when new-age tech is put into this platform.

I'd write more, short on time.

Christian

·
Registered
261 Posts

It was my first car and I loved the thing. Maintanance is not as bad as people say... just hope its not a clutch job. If you can work at all on your own cars then 944 is the way to go. In 3 years of owning mine all I had to do was replace the clutch and regular oil changes.

·
Registered
169 Posts
you'll be paying up the ass for any mods that you do to that porsche, whether it be the turbo model or not.

If you're going to get the porsche though get the turbo model at least. 944 n/a are guteless and not very fun to drive.

In regards to the 240 you can get 300whp out of that car for a fraction of the cost of modding the porsche 944. Alot of people in sweden are achieving close to 400whp on stock motors, chip, and accumulator mod on the automatics

and the 240s have a pretty decent aftermarket for suspension parts for em.

·
Administrator
17,234 Posts
Honest question...how in the bloody hell did you end up comparing these two particular cars? They have essentially nothing in common except for the fact they both have 4 wheels and an engine. :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Lol, I didn't even know what the 240 looked like and had to Google it. I'm guessing the 944 he meant to compare with it would be an N/A...which IMO would make the Volvo win by a landslide.

+2 on vote for "Weirdest Car Comparison" thread of '09.

·
Registered
74 Posts
^Powerhaus isn't around anymore. Dave closed up shop a few years ago and had just been selling off remaining inventory.

Vitesse Racing is a VERY good option as well for bolt-on kits for 951's. I used his Stage 3 setup (don't ask turbo specifics...all I know is they are Garrett-based hybrids). 400+ whp and a bit more in rwtq with 50/50 weight distribution, great balance, and under 2900lbs with minimal weight redux makes for a FUN car on the cheap.

The only 944 you should be interested in is a turbo(aka: 951).

Great cars but be aware they are the better side of 20 yrs old, so make sure you update EVERYTHING you can wear item-wise before you start tacking on the mods. Most of the time, the performance mods actually do serve as the updates.

Best Porsche bang-for-the-buck this side of the 996TT, and can be pretty lethal when new-age tech is put into this platform.

I'd write more, short on time.

Christian

That blows!! I remember when they auctioned off that 580 hp 951 some years back. Actually that's how I discovered them. I was in the market for a 928 S4 and stumbled across the raffle they had going for the 951.

S.

·
Registered
693 Posts
That blows!! I remember when they auctioned off that 580 hp 951 some years back. Actually that's how I discovered them. I was in the market for a 928 S4 and stumbled across the raffle they had going for the 951.

S.
Ah yes, Joe's black 951 in Sin City. It is still in his garage and never got auctioned, AFAIK. Waiting on custom gears for a 6 speed tranny out of a 968 the last I've talked to him. Been a year or so...

I remember getting a ride in that thing a few years ago. Built 3.0L, 16 valve car.
Was a fucking beast.

His car was one of the reasons I decided to stick with 951s for a while. The 'Special Tool' white 951 at 2.5L and 605 rwhp was the other reason.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts