Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Listen to my hands...
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tried to install a VPC 2835 D chip in my car. This setup is for more fuel and a car with cams(I'm still running stock cams). The chip I had before was just a basic VPC chip....not setup for bigger turbos and more fuel. Don't know how HKS gave me this chip when I bought the whole kit, but they did.

The problem. I put the chip in...and for some reason now, I get a check engine light, and the car will stall if I don't give it some throttle. I tried to take some fuel out down low but it didn't help. It also caused my car to to pull too much from the battery? The lights got dim and I had to jump the car to get it started again. I have a Optima Red.

I reset the ecu before I put the chip in. The good news(somewhat) is that the car will run rich now that this chip is in. I was never able to get any kind of black smoke when I gave the car a little rev. Now I get a nice puff when I give it some good revs.

I put the old chip back in and the the problem(and check engine light) went away. I run 43-45 psi FP at idle. Is this chip too aggresssive? Or should I try the C chip? I'll be getting cams soon anyway once my lean problems are solved.

Thanks for any advice.

Scott

Peace

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well its good to see that you are making progress I guess. You sure the chip was for a 6spd vs an Auto etc? just a thought. Hope you continue making progress and get that car to where it needs to be.

S

·
0 Posts
Scott,
I would def try the C chip.
My car idled horribly w/D chip. Even with cams, you only need the C chip. You can compensate w/a GCC or SAFC for the cams when you get them. I can't believe in all this time, no one ever opened the VPC to check which chip was in there.
That was one of the first things I did, when I had a fuel problem.
I solved mine by redoing my fuel system completely though. Now it's 11.5 to 1 ice smooth to redline...

Good luck

·
Listen to my hands...
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stage7 said:
Scott,
My car idled horribly w/D chip. Even with cams, you only need the C chip. You can compensate w/a GCC or SAFC for the cams when you get them. I can't believe in all this time, no one ever opened the VPC to check which chip was in there.
I solved mine by redoing my fuel system completely though. Now it's 11.5 to 1 ice smooth to redline...

Good luck
Thanks for the response Roberto and Kevin. I think it was Dusty at the Vegas meet who suggested I check which chip I had...and sure enough, it was the basic chip in there. This D chip is way too much. I don't know why I'm getting a check engine light...especially since it's a G=force. I don't have a scan tool.

Hopefully I can get the C chip by next week and the Supra Gods will finally shine my way:)

Scott

Peace

W

·
0 Posts
Stage7 said:
Scott,

Good luck
Roberto

Someone told me that HKS does not offer any upfraded VPC chips for automatic tranny. whats up with that?

Wayne

S

·
0 Posts
It doesn't matter w/VPC chip. It's only marketing. It makes no difference. I'm running a "6spd" 720cc "C" chip right now. The VPC has no control of anything the tranny does, and controls my fuel system just fine...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts