Original Owner
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the situation....

bought a vpc with a 720 chip.

ordered a stock injector chip 6 spd

hardwired the sucker in.

installed chip in reverse and possibly fried the chip

pulling code 31 now and idling very rich and the car wants to die.

i installed teh 720 chip just to diagnose the problem furthermore and the car would not pull any codes but it wouldn't start either. im assuming since it was a 720 chip.

btw i installed the 1.2k resistor into the ecu

i soldered all the wires and the resistor...

vpc is getting power

can somebody reaffirm that the chip can be fried if installed backwards?
and if so would installing a 720 chip not start the car if i have stock injectors?

thanks

-Curtis

thanks guys :hug:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Dunno about frying it but I do know that if you put the chip in backward it usually don't work afterward so I guess you can say it does mess it up... make sure you put the chip in with the notch on the chip towards the front... good luck... get a new chip again...

G

·
Yes, you'll fry it if you put it in backwards.

Do you have a fuel controller? I know you are suppose it wire it differently if you have a fuel controller. The previous owner did the vpc with a fields sfc install and he cut the MAF 66pin wire on my car. After I took out the fuel controller it ran like crap with the vpc alone and the engine gets flooded with fuel, causing it to not start on occasions. I had to pull the sparkplugs and let the gas vaporize and reconnect the 66 wire.

You should see if engine is maybe flooded with fuel. Pull out a sparkplug and see if
its wet, causing it not to start.

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boosted&Confused said:
Yes, you'll fry it if you put it in backwards.

Do you have a fuel controller? I know you are suppose it wire it differently if you have a fuel controller. The previous owner did the vpc with a fields sfc install and he cut the MAF 66pin wire on my car. After I took out the fuel controller it ran like crap with the vpc alone and the engine gets flooded with fuel, causing it to not start on occasions. I had to pull the sparkplugs and let the gas vaporize and reconnect the 66 wire.

You should see if engine is maybe flooded with fuel. Pull out a sparkplug and see if
its wet, causing it not to start.

no fuel controller but the car was running really rich i think i may have fouled my plugs... but i wonder why its still throwing code 31 ...

do you think it will throw code 31 *mass air flow meter* with a fried chip and nothing else?

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
You fried the chip. I did the samething a few years back. The car would start but idle like complete shit(rich). Get a new chip before investing anymore time trouble shooting.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You said it doesn't throw a code when the working 720cc chip is installed so it must be the chip causing the code. Get a new chip and it should fix that part.

Also, even if you disconnect the MAF the car should start but it'll be in limp mode.

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the help guys,

it was the chip!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts