Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed(well sort of ) my VPC and harness. The car on startup is in "limp mode" it won't hold a idle, super rich exhaust, and the knobs don't seem to be controling anything.

The unit has power(it lights up) and the harness is plugged in all the way. Just for kicks I unplugged the VPC from it's harness and the car still retained the bad ilde and stalling habit, nothing changed . I mean really bad idle(you can't drive it) . The sensors are hooked up properly and I double checked the plugs for them also. The only other thing that i have hooked up to the ECU now is a BCC on the stock harness.

Any ideas?

someone please help!!!

-TY

B

·
0 Posts
Did you put the chip in correctly? The notches have to be lined up on the board and with the chip.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scott,

I double checked the chip was installed in the right way.
Notches lined up. I fouund the problem though.

A BAD VPC CHIP. !!!!!!!!!!

I had a friend come over and help look for possible bad wiring etc.
We decided to switch chips and see if it was that. The car ran great
with his chip. My chip was brand new(got it in the mail yesterday)
only to find that it is bad!!!

Thanks for help out though.

-TY

·
Moved to the dark side
989 Posts
Second bad chip in two weeks! We had the same, only last week. Bad chip. It sucks. The VPC is a dated system anyways. Too bad there are no good replacements, yet

B

·
0 Posts
TYWRAP said:
Scott,

I double checked the chip was installed in the right way.
Notches lined up. I fouund the problem though.

A BAD VPC CHIP. !!!!!!!!!!

I had a friend come over and help look for possible bad wiring etc.
We decided to switch chips and see if it was that. The car ran great
with his chip. My chip was brand new(got it in the mail yesterday)
only to find that it is bad!!!

Thanks for help out though.

-TY
Yep a bad chip happens from time to time. I know you have to be careful to avoid static electricity. Glad you found the problem though.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AZmongoose,

The shop that I got it from is sending me a new replacement chip , but thanks anyway. :)

Baltic TT,

Yeah I'm find more and more people that have had this problem with the VPC chip being bad. As for the static elec. I used a static armband ground that prevents you frying computer boards/ chips when building them. Your totally right though, you can never be too careful.

Arnout

Well wiht the AEM computer coming out the VPC prices are getting cheaper, but I hope we will have some more options in the future.

Anyone know if the 550cc auto chip will work in a 550cc 6spd car? I'm getting the correct chip for my car, but many people have said they are the same chip just a HKS marketing ploy. I have also heard there are 4 different chip(a,b,c,d) that correspond to injector size , but not trans type. Just curious

Thanks,

-TY

1 - 7 of 7 Posts