Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently installed my vpc, and ever since then the car would only start after 5 or 6 times after trying to crank it. Is my ignition just getting weak?

this only happens if i dont drive the car hard after 2-3 days but usually i have to try to turn it on a few times before it actually catches i guess.

i turn it to the on position and try cranking and all i hear is a single click...

any idea whats going on with it?

·
Registered
9,810 Posts
It sounds like a battery problem, and nothing to do with the VPC.

Jason

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was thinking it was something with the ignition,

the only reason why i thought it might be related to the vpc was because it was the last thing i installed.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
ditch the POS VPC and get a MAP ecu... they are nothing but problems...

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I say it's the starter or the battery is weak. Nothing to do with the vpc if all you're getting is a click sometimes. If the car was turning over strong and failing to start then I'd look at the vpc. But that doesn't sound like the case here.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yeah, I agree. Maybe the timing was just a coincidence. It could be that the contacts in your starting are wearing thin. Why don't you try either uninstalling the VPC to see what happens or just changing the contacts. It's cheap and pretty easy to do.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
** nevermind ** I should READ before I hit "Reply" haha

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
It sounds to me like a starter problem. I had the same problem with my car, when it was cold it wouldnt start just click-click after a few tries it would start. It got worse over time and eventually would to this when it was warm and then just quit one day. Replaced the starter and no problems since.

lawrence

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
93 twintrbo said:
It sounds to me like a starter problem. I had the same problem with my car, when it was cold it wouldnt start just click-click after a few tries it would start. It got worse over time and eventually would to this when it was warm and then just quit one day. Replaced the starter and no problems since.

lawrence
i know i'm a few days late and you may have already fixed your problem... but I wanted to add here that there's no need to replace the starter. The starter rebuild kit is quite cheap and it's very simple to replace the worn parts. Works just as if i was new - without the price tag.

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea im thinking im going to replace the starter contacts first =)

Reactions: Digital Tripod

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
94Silver said:
ditch the POS VPC and get a MAP ecu... they are nothing but problems...
Ditch the POS VPC and ditch the MAP ECU also. Both are nothing but problems. Stick with the TOYOTA DESIGNED airflow meter.

·
Registered
885 Posts
well one way to tell and rule out that its not the ignition, is have a friend help you push start the car. if the car starts, your ignition is fine, its just the starter not doing its job efficiently and needs to be replaced.

G

·
Yep....i agree....try replacing the positive contact in the starter solenoid. I had the same problem and fixed it for about $10. Worth a shot if it save buying a new starter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts