Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Wholesome creamy goodness
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I just got my car back from the body shop and now I seem to be having problems. Well first of all, yesterday, the check engine light came on twice. Both times I reset the ECU thinking the ECU was freaking out considering my Supra's a 97 with the OBDII ECU. So far it hasn't come back on. However, I just got back and from a little joy ride but in the process, it died on my twice...both times when I came to a stop at a stop light. I don't have a aftermarket BOV so it's not that. I'm not quite sure if there is something wrong with the VPC. I had the car baking in the sun all day so that it'll help cure the new paint on the car, so I'm not sure if it's due to that, but in either case it's bugging the crap out of me. Please let me know if anyone has a clue to what's going on and how I may fix it. Thanks...Darshana S...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Undo the ECU harness and reseat it. Sometimes the VPC harness is very funny. I you do not have the harness check your MAF wire.
I doubt it is the VPC itself. ALso check your intercooler hoses.

·
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keller,
Thanks for the advise...I do have the harness so I'll see if the harness is the cause of the problem. I was starting to wonder, do you think it could be do to the spark plugs?? I currently have the NGK 3330's...the car dies after letting off the throttle and sometimes while idling so I'm thinking the gap is too small (around 0.035 currently) or it's about time I changed the plugs. Plus there's that little fact that we in CA are stuck with crappy 91 Octane fuel, but I don't think that's that big of a factor...Darshana S...

·
Registered
182 Posts
If it where your plugs and they are that bad, you would have alot of missing under boost. I would not think the gas would make the car die at idle either. Are your VPC knobs all set at 12 oclock?

Try adjusting your idle knob when you notice your idle is bad.
Do you have any splices in your factory harness? If so check those. I had idle problems and it was a wiring issue, now my idle is perfect once the car warms up.

F

·
0 Posts
When I changed out stock-gapped plugs to NGK6097s gapped to .035 couple weeks back, my car idled low and choppy for the first day, and stalled out several times at a stop. Thereafter I didnt have any stalling issues, though it still idles choppy on occasion.

Maybe you should drive for a few days without re-setting the ECU, allowing it to "re-learn" everything.

·
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason I keep reseting the ECU is because the freaken Check Engine Light keeps comming on. This is my main concern because this did not happen before when I changed my plugs and this is the reason that I suspect that there is something amiss with the VPC.

In regards to my VPC settings, it was dyno tuned by UPRD about 4 months ago. The fine tuning is being taken care of by SAFC. The current settings on the VPC are:
Response: +2 Clicks
Gain: -2 Clicks
Idle: +5 Clicks

Yesterday I added another click the gain, so now its -1 on the Gain and so far the car has been running fine and no check engine light. I guess we'll see in a day or two if that cured the problem or not...Darshana S...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts