Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going t78 pretty soon and i was wondering what would be the alternatives to going VPC vs. 2 mass air flow sensors.
By reading many vpc questions on this list, it seems like some people have some problems with the VPC.
Would getting 2 mass air flow sensors be a better alternative?

thanks again

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Same situation here. I'm planning on a single in Feb, probably the T-78. I guy I know just took his VPC out after having lots of problems getting good times at the track and now says his car is runnning a lot better in all respects. I think I'm going with dual MAFs and the SAFC. Should be a lot cheaper than the VPC also. I only know of one guy using dual MAFs but haven't seen him run at the track yet.

·
462 Posts
I thought that 90%+ of the singled supras are running a VPC??

Is this not true?????

If it is, then there must be a good reason why.

Any singled supra owners care to elaborate on this?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
No one thought to do dual MAFs until recently, and even then most people would rather do something thats proven.

Problem with dual MAFs is fabrcating the pipes, or maybe finding some pre-made ones that will fit? The circuit should be cake. Also the BOV must vent back to the intake.

What I'm wondering is how is low speed drivability and idle with the dual MAFs? I know some MAF sensors have a minimum range they can read in. But I remember Clint saying drivability and idle are perfect.

·
OCC
897 Posts
I really like the idea of the dual MAF/S-AFC combo... unfortunately, it's been very difficult to get a straight answer regarding the connection of the wires. Fabricating a Y-pipe out of aluminum won't be any problem for me... I'm just worried about the electrical part. Those of you who already have this setup... your input will be greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
could you run 2 maf's right after each other? instead of running a Y pipe?

M

·
0 Posts
I saw a sweet setup today. The guy did really good job. Check the picture out. This is a SP63 setup by the way.

·
Registered
330 Posts
KansaiSupra said:
could you run 2 maf's right after each other? instead of running a Y pipe?
That would defeat the purpose. The reason for going VPC is because at a certain HP level the stock MAF becomes a restriction. This two MAF in theory allow twice as much flow. The VPC works a bit differently, but acheives the same result.. removing the offending restriction.

Since the VPC is so expensive, I see the twin MAF become a more popular modification for single turbo Supras.

Howard

M

·
0 Posts
Oh yeah, I was with these guys all day yesterday. They're doing some lung transplants on the 2 cars in the picture below. The dual MAF car runs like a raped ape, very fast, ya know....typical SP63 equipped Supra :). This has got to be one of the cleanest Supra's I've seen, in particular in the execution/implementation of the mods, awesome paint job and the 5Z___ (can't spell it or say it. What are the wheels? 5Zigen?) wheels just really set this beast off, oh yeah, shaved antenna too (antenna replaced with a smooth looking fixed position/angled antenna on the hatch right above the rear hatch window washer sprayer). All this plus more on the black dual MAF car.

The green car actually have 18" Kenesis wheels with 315's on the rear, this is another clean dawg :). The RPO's are spares.

Melvin

Q

·
0 Posts
How do you control the larger injectors in combination with the 2 MAF's? Can the SAFC manipulate the data to make the 2 MAF's with the larger injectors work properly?

·
462 Posts
So is the main reason to implement dual MAF's is to save money??? Because MAFS are still a restriction and they meter air causing problems with BOV venting, boost leaks, etc..

I went the proven VPC route that works with the stock twins and with the single I slap on in a couple months.

The Dual Stock IC is also very interesting. From what I understand, the stock IC can only flow 440CFM!!! If you turn up the boost, it will POP!! So with 2 of them, youll probably blow the front bumper off the car....COOL!!!! j/k Good luck with the mods.

BTW - The Greddy 3-row can flow 1100CFM...for killer power, flow, and superior cooling compared to dual stock IC!!

I have a MAF for sale $95 OBO

I also have a stock IC for sale $125 OBO

M

·
0 Posts
Hboostn97TT said:
So is the main reason to implement dual MAF's is to save money??? Because MAFS are still a restriction and they meter air causing problems with BOV venting, boost leaks, etc..

I went the proven VPC route that works with the stock twins and with the single I slap on in a couple months.

The Dual Stock IC is also very interesting. From what I understand, the stock IC can only flow 440CFM!!! If you turn up the boost, it will POP!! So with 2 of them, youll probably blow the front bumper off the car....COOL!!!! j/k Good luck with the mods.

BTW - The Greddy 3-row can flow 1100CFM...for killer power, flow, and superior cooling compared to dual stock IC!!

I have a MAF for sale $95 OBO

I also have a stock IC for sale $125 OBO
Cool, but this car runs pretty strong...isn't America great?, we all can pretty much do what we want to do :)

Again, this setup is proven too...his car is working fine.

I would like to see proof of this "POP". Who's doing the testing? We know the stockers are limited, but for whatever reason my friend decided to go the route he went and it's working just fine for his application. Bet he doen't have any over heating problems on a road course.

Someone here in Connecticut actually dyno'd over 600 ponies with the HKS type S. Car didn't run hot, EGT's were fine. I say this because I heard the HKS type S is for cars with stock turbos.

I donated my MAF to our local Supra community...I care :D
I also donated my stock IC.....

See...America is great. I didn't want to make money off of something that was no good to me, why would I sell it to someone else? My wife was even happy, we got that crap out of my basement. :)

I hope you don't take my replies the wrong way, we all are intitled to our opinions. My friends car is awesome. For you or anyone else to look down on it because of the way it's setup is not right. If you know someone in this area then maybe we can all get together and see which methods are superior :).

Talk has always been over rated in my book.

Melvin

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Who did that dual IC setup? If he managed to get both ICs hooked up in parrallel I would be VERY interested in his piping (twice the flow and twice the cooling).

The stock IC flows well (about 50% less than the Blitz according to Reg), but the plastic end tanks can't take the boost a single puts out on race gas. Doesn't matter to me, I don't run race gas.

Testing by Dave Buschur has show that the stock MAF is not a restriction until high RPMs in the 400rwhp range. And a VERY small restriction at that. So the dual MAFs should flow 750rwhp with no problem, just ask Clint :)

M

·
0 Posts
Hey Grant,

I'll find out if it's series or parallel. I looked at the setup but so much had been done to the car until I was really in awe of the results. Pictures or words are hard to describe this car.

Melvin

·
462 Posts
mello2 said:

Talk has always been over rated in my book.

Melvin
Why are you talking so much about America?? Where are you from? It's true that many countries have less freedom but C'mon, working on a car...not too many countries that you can't bolt on whatever you want!!!

Why don't you just throw another set of stock twins on the car and have a QUAD turbo!!! :D

It's AMERICA and I'll donate my stockers to you!!!

J/K

Selling parts offset the cost of new parts...supply and demand...marketing 101.

But IMHO dual MAF's and Dual stock IC's are NOT optimal and I'm not sure if anyone would dissagree.

There are soo many opinions out there and I guess mine is just another one.

I'll try to be a bit more helpful.

Another criteria to judge a big 3-row is cold IC charge! With the stockers, it's a big issue since they are spinning so fast. So not only does it flow more than double but the air is much cooler and there is no threat to popping. I noticed a BIG difference with the 3-row and yet another increase with the VPC.

And I defnintely applaud you and your experimentation...that's where innovation is born or not!

I think Jarrett or Dusty have seen a Stock IC pop under high boost...I guess Grant knows this too.

Later.

M

·
0 Posts
Didn't know I talked soooo much about America. I was born in Washington, DC, so I guess that makes me American :).

The car in the picture as I said in my post is a friends car. The picture below is my car until yesterday (I've decided I do not want any RPS parts on my car, but I couldn't donate those parts $4400 worth of parts is a little too much to give away).

I'm using the VPC and Apexi S/AFC on my car. While I appreciate your offer of the stock turbo, the T66 (soon to be SP63) is what I prefer.

Opinions are just that, we all have them, among other things :), it's all good.

Melvin

·
462 Posts
Mello:

Your car is sweet!!!! Must feel good getting it all done and running well. Do you have a web page with a list of your mods, Dynos, etc.

And it's true about opinions. Some are just a bit wiser from experience...that's all.

And regarding your friends car...I do think it's cool that he's experiementing...don't get me wrong!!!:p

I didn't have the time, energy, or patience...so that's why I think you and me both went the way we did on the modifications. I work too hard not to have fun while I'm off work. And trying these experiements isn't worth the hassle when I have the money for the proven parts. I think you understand?!?

BTW - What are the problems with the RPS kits? I was considering a T-66 kit from them but I've seen soooo many kits for sale second had lately. Can you share any thoughts?? You can email me privately if you don't want to post on a public forum.

I'll keep in touch with you!!!

Later.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts