Votes: 11 47.8%
  • VPC

Votes: 10 43.5%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was wondering what you all think is better the VPC or the AEM I would like to know what you all think and what you would rather have please feel free to post anything you heard or would like to hear and some people could answer ??? for you I am only wondering what one is better cause Im having a debate with a fellow supra owner whom thinks otherwise ...

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
Well this debate is not really a debate. Its fairly easy to answer this.
VPC has excellent results, yields great gains, VERY easy to use and for your average/above average user, very suitable to 450+ rwhp.
Disadvantage - No control over timing, limited tuning, somewhat dated.

Aem . Complete control over everything! Awesome. tuning, timing, everything. Yields best possble results your car can preform with proper tuning.

Disadvantage - Costly, for above average knowledgable owners, not your basic 5 wire install.:)

·
Mr. 2JZUL8R
6,024 Posts
LOL!!!

i just got a call from John Reaume tonite! and he explained how he cant stand the VPC anymore! hes going nuts! AEM time! :cool:

·
Asshole MKIV owner.
1,011 Posts
First of all why does it matter... you don't even have a car... second... VPC has been proven to 700+. I have run 30+psi on a vpc and it works fine even though it only has a 2 bar map sensor. Take advice from people who have made the power first hand. Disregard the second hand bullshit. VPC all the way...

·
AEM SP63
1,459 Posts
Agreed, VPC all the way. Car idle's perfect, no trouble at all. Sure wish they made the VPC stock on the MK3, soo much better than that AFM.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
I'm not really sure what you're comparing here :scratch: The VPC and AEM EMS are really two very different things. The EMS doesn't replace the AFM out of the box, you need to buy a couple additional sensors to replace it.

The VPC doesn't really do any tuning without an additional alphabet soup of electronics. The AEM has many more features, but has a greater entry price and requires significantly more time/money to tune (unless you are exceptionally knowledgeable about electronic fuel injection).

Can you make almost as much power with a piggy-back as a standalone? you can probably come pretty dam close. Will has definitely showed us that. So why get the AEM? you get a standalone with room to grow. Plugs into your factory wiring harness so there isn't any wiring needed from the get-go. Want to get rid of the AFM? Wire in a MAP sensor and IAT sensor and re-tune. Want to use LS1 coils? Wire them in and change a few settings with your laptop and off you go. Want to run leaner than 14.7:1 at cruise load while advancing the timing? You can. Want to set it up so that if your car exceeds a certain temperature (coolant, Exhaust gas, or oil) the ecu will richen the mixture and detune the timing to prevent damage? You can. Want to set up traction control? You can. Want to rev over the factory rev limit? you can. Want to have speed dependent boost control? you can. Do you want to run nitrous, alcohol, or water injection and have it controlled by the ECU? you can.

So basically you are comparing apples to oranges. They'll both fill yer belly and keep you from having scurvy for a while -- but they taste completely different and go about their jobs in a whole different manner.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The biggest difference here is the ability to improve transient response and off-boost power characteristics of the car with the AEM. Any standalone system tuned correctly will realize a much broader powerband. That said, the VPC is cheap, and it's beyond easy to deal with. I'm still not sure I want to give up the VPC yet...

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Lol Jeff with the scurvy.

Pitch AFM in trash or take complete control over every input and output that runs your engine. Like I already said there is no comparison. If you are trying to compare the two you want the VPC.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
My VPC/ S-AFC/680 combo runs smoother than my Lexus/550 did through the rpm range. That and with people like Will and Genna putting close too and over 700 rwhp out with them it's a hard combo to beat for the money.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you are asking which is better... then the AEM is out of your league.

·
Boost Creep.
432 Posts
Hello, people!!! Nobody yet really has any experience with the MK3 AEM. My car is the only one on the street with one...

I'm certain in a year or more a similar discussion will provide more useful information, as more people begins using the AEM EMS. There really are some wicked features that advanced tuners will probably love (the boost and traction control fuctions, among others). Plus I can tell you that the logging facilities are exceptionally useful.

Of course I'm biased, but here's something that's plain fact... HKS no longer produces the MA70 VPC. Most people that want one probably will be able to find one, but the fact remains that the availablility will become increasingly scarcer as the years go on.

Another thing I can tell you is for beginning mods, your money is far better spent elsewhere than a VPC or AEM EMS.

HTH,
Brendan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts