Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Anyplace, Anytime
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PEOPLE running either one of these...

I am getting all sorts of mixed reviews on which way to go. I would like some current and up to date opinions. ( stand alone is not an option)

I am running a T78 greddy, 540RWHP Supra, stock fuel, with MAFS and Meth kit... Car has a brand new shortblock. And in a few thousand miles I will be upgrading fuel systems. Should i go with a VPC? or a MAP ECU?

I know VPC is out of date but i hear it still runs very well. I hear the map ECU is a one time tune, but will constantly reset itself under different driving conditions. And is almost as bad as a stand alone..

I drive my car everyday and run it fast and hard. I plan to boost 20-22 on average 93 octane, but will also run straight waste gate sometimes ( 1 bar ) in cold or rain. Ill occasionaly dump some c16 race fuel in there and turn that boost up to hi 20's . Its gonna be a daily driver Which will be subject to all different kinds of driving/weather/street conditions.

In your opinions, whats gonna be my best route? one things for sure the MAFS has got to go...

·
Custom LED Tail Lights
3,315 Posts
I had the MAP ECU and then upgraded if you will to the MAP ECU 2 and with both of them I havent had a problem with needing a new tune .. once tuned it kept the same A/F's throughout the year. Well I dont drive it in the snow or rain but on every good day it is out .. its the same..

·
Anyplace, Anytime
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how is it holding up JTS? and do you run your car in different serttings/octane/weather conditions?

thats my main concern, if VPC will be more a of a generic tune for all conditions and octane. I don't plan on pushing more than 600RWHP...

·
Registered
872 Posts
yes, more input will be great!
I'm in the same boat, Pt 67 stock fuel, auto ,MAF,will do fuel soon.I have SAFC now, if I go with used VPC will cost the same as new MAP ECU ( the older one) plus I can sell the AFC. but How easy to tune the MAP ECU myself? I know I can handle the VPC+AFC meself. plus my laptop only have the USB port, is it gonna be a problem?

·
The Good Doctor
1,884 Posts
well, i cant say how it is as its not installed yet!! i didn't choose the vpc/gcc due to it being an older product and that you needed specific chip to run it. my main concern was if the chip died that i would have to get a new one, and being an older product i don't want to take the chance of not finding that chip again. i also chose the map-ecu b/c i have a friend that is running the same kit i bought and he has had no issues. good luck and i hope i shed some light for you.

BTW in the FS section i saw a map-ecu for $300 shipped...i say grab it!!

·
Registered
872 Posts
yes , I think am gonna go with MAP ECU, but do you think my USB sonnection on my laptop going to be a problem? also ,I've talk to a lot of people here (oklahoma) nobody know too much ( if any)about MAP ECU. that's why I asked if its easy to tune.

·
The Good Doctor
1,884 Posts
what about finding someone in Dallas or Houston TX? i used to live in Dallas and i am sure there is someone there that can tune it for you

·
Anyplace, Anytime
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cmon supraforums members. We need some input from people that have run these mods.

·
Super Moderator
10,663 Posts
Having spent a good ammount of time messing with VPC's and having been around a few cars on the MAP-ECU, here's my take -
The VPC is proven, hands down proven.
You plug it in, install the IAT and MAP sensors, and go. The only downside is that the MAP sensors for the VPC are discontinued and getting scarce.
But there's no laptop or wizardry required, just the VPC & a SAFC (or GCC) and a few dyno pulls and you're done. For a street car this side of 700whp I think the VPC is the best readily available unit for the Supra, and it works well and has proven itself to be reliable in the long term with many Supra owners.

The MAP ECU is great when setup and tuned by a professional that is familiar with the MAP ECU, which negates its price advantage considerably. But the countless hiccups and issues associated with the MAP ECU can't be denied. For a true turn-key street car on the stock ECU, I firmly believe the VPC is the way to go in that price range. If you're made of money, go HKS FCON V PRO or Motec ;)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
My old Supra ran very well with the VPC/SFC set up. Proved itself time and time again.

MAP ECU no experience with it. From what I have read and learned about it though, tuning is not to intricate and can be done pretty easily.
If you want spot on reliability go VPC set up.
Wants some of the fancier stuff go MAP ECU.

Ultimately comes down to your power goals that you want.

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
My opinions as to why I went with the MAP ECU:
I have the MAP ECU, never had a VPC/GCC, but I've seen plenty of those and when tuned right they work just fine. I don't plan on over low 600whp range for a while so the MAP ECU was more than adequate for my plans.
I don't think the VPC alone is equivalent to the MAP ECU since all the VPC does is replace the MAF with a MAP based airflow metering. You still need a GCC or other add on fuel computer to adjust the a/f. The MAP ECU does both, it replaces the MAF and it has built in a/f tuning. I haven't had my MAP ECU long, just a few months running. In that time I've run boost from minimum on 93 pump to max at 30psi on C16, and as long as you have the fuel map tuned for the a/f across the board, it holds it just fine. I have never heard of anything like constantly retuning itself or changing settings on its own. I think some people are mixing up the facts with wrong impressions: if you don't have a full EMS and still retain the stock ECU, to my knowledge you cannot reliably adjust the a/f at idle or at low throttle settings, only above the conditions where the stock ECU goes open loop; as long as it's in closed loop nothing, no VPC or AFC or anything will change what it wants to do; IMO this is not bad because the stock ECU wants a/f at idle to be about 14.5 to 14.7 which is perfect, and then as you go full throttle or heavy throttle, the fuel computer takes over and you can tune to 11.5 or whatever you like.

I have my USB port on my laptop connected to the MAP ECU and have never had a problem communicating with it.

I played with the MAP ECU tuning and it seems pretty easy and straight forward, but I wanted it fine tuned on a dyno looking at all the points in the full a/f map and making sure it was correct and smooth, so I paid to have a dyno tune.

Maybe somebody more familiar with the VPC/GCC can comment how this compares with the MAP ECU: is there is significant difference in how many map points you can tune with one or the other?

As for reliability, the MAP ECU is built by Performance Motor Research and I have never heard one bad thing about them, they build a top quality, reliable product.

·
Anyplace, Anytime
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do have a SAFC running ATM FYI... Perhaps should of mentioned that

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Ive had both and still have the vpc/gcc. I wouldnt recommend the map ecu to my worst enemy. The vpc is easier, simpler, hell anyone can tune one in about 3 pulls LOL

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
MAP ECU or MAP ECU 2.

Its pretty much set it and forget it. I have never had a problem running it. Now with Map ECU 2 out you can even control timming and have 2 step. MAP ecu can even control NOS/Meth if you want as well, more features and benefits with MAP ECU than VPC/GCC (my opinion of course).

You also dont need a PRO tuner to tune the Map Ecu at all.

Plus i dont like having all those guages in the car.

·
A zone of danger.
1,175 Posts
...I think some people are mixing up the facts with wrong impressions: if you don't have a full EMS and still retain the stock ECU, to my knowledge you cannot reliably adjust the a/f at idle or at low throttle settings, only above the conditions where the stock ECU goes open loop; as long as it's in closed loop nothing, no VPC or AFC or anything will change what it wants to do...
With the original MAP ECU, that's correct. However, the MAP ECU 2 can now alter AFR in closed loop by "intercepting and redirecting", if you will, the factory O2 signal and can also alter timing in closed loop. The thread(s) in the PHR forum exhibit a lot of what the ME2 is capable of.

When considering the amount of control, price, and still being able to fall back on the factory ECU, I was sold. Looking forward to the next two weeks when my car is finished...

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
VPC and SFC for me. On a T64 and 720cc injectors with B Chip in the VPC, the engine started, idled, responded, and generally exhibited drivability EXACTLY like a 100% stock Supra. Are you looking for something better than that?

I think your motor won't last too long at 22 PSI on 93 octane unless the ECU is doing a great job of pulliing timing to prevent knock. Perhaps I'm too safety minded, but I wouldn't go beyond 18 PSI on 93 octane.

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
With the original MAP ECU, that's correct. However, the MAP ECU 2 can now alter AFR in closed loop by "intercepting and redirecting", if you will, the factory O2 signal and can also alter timing in closed loop. The thread(s) in the PHR forum exhibit a lot of what the ME2 is capable of.

When considering the amount of control, price, and still being able to fall back on the factory ECU, I was sold. Looking forward to the next two weeks when my car is finished...
Thanks, I didn't know this since I'm not reading the latest info. That sure makes it even more interesting! Motec is on my radar if I need full stand-alone but here's another reason to still consider MAPECU2.

...Perhaps I'm too safety minded, but I wouldn't go beyond 18 PSI on 93 octane.
me too.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts