Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine just got his 95 (I think) Mitsu 3000gt VR4 twin turb back from the transmission shop... so we decided to run em....
To my suprize we ended up in a dead tie!
He has stock turbs, with the only other mods being a 6 puck racing clutch, a straight exhaust, and a cold air intake.
Not a kill, but had damn fun keeping up NOSE TO NOSE with a $30k car. :D
WOO WOO for the MK3 crowd.
www.MDCMotorsports.com/supra.htm

·
A Happy Dad
2,321 Posts
I did the same thing when mine was stock except intake/exhaust, we didn't really race but just kinda played leapfrog, it was equally fast

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I was amazed I even kept up with the damn thing. They are soooo quick off the line and I was right there with him. WOW. Not bad for... a what... 14 year old car? (Don't wanna do the math right now my head hurts... but hey its an 89 and has rust so who cares) My Mk3 is just now really turning my head since I have had my boost problems recently fixed.....

B

·
0 Posts
'95 vr4 is not a 30 grand car. vr4s arent really in different leagues than mk3s in general, as far as the 1st gen ones go.

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looks....loooks.... oh yes.... I totally agree.... but I must teach all the little ricers around here.... if looks were every thing... then I would be the slowest thing around and stickers and the color yellow would run 8 second 1/4 miles alone......

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
romer said:
i love the way those 3000gt looks.
:barf:

No thanks, I'll take my supra any day. As for the 3kgt... not to take anything away from you MDC, but they are heavy pigs and like bdekoning said they aren't 30k cars.

In 95 3000gt vr-4 were 43 grand, roughly and often sold for much less. Take our cars... which were right at 30 grand during their day and you have a similar price... if not a similar market.

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hawkeye and every one else thanks for the info... I figured the way this thing looked and sounded that it was at least a $30k car. Hmm... still suprized my rust o' bucket kept up.... jk! I know it could but never experienced it.

B

·
0 Posts
all i can say, is, believe it or not, yes, i can sell my '92 Supra and buy a '92 3000GT twin turbo for about the same money.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
bdekoning said:
all i can say, is, believe it or not, yes, i can sell my '92 Supra and buy a '92 3000GT twin turbo for about the same money.
i'll call bullshit. i was torn between the two cars (i was afraid of getting RWD for the winters here in northern Ohio) and i couldn't find a single vr-4 priced anywhere near the supras. i paid $5,500 for a 92 supra turbo, 81K miles. for a comparable 92 vr-4 i only saw prices at the lowest of $9,000. not a scientific study, but i looked in a 250 mile radius.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Where the hell did you find a 92 supra for 5500?? I paid 8 grand for my 87t with 78k miles on it.

Either way a mkiii turbo is twice the car a 3000gt will ever be.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
hawkeye said:
Where the hell did you find a 92 supra for 5500?? I paid 8 grand for my 87t with 78k miles on it.

$8000 US?? damn u got ripped off, i paid $5000 CDN for my 89T and i thought I got ripped off....

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
hawkeye said:

dayton, ohio

·
I've been here forever.
2,555 Posts
mdcmotorsports said:
Not to destroy my own post.... but I only paid $1200 for my 89t manual with a BHG and turbo.... with 195k miles
Me too, aint it great to rebuild...I couldn't help it...once I saw it I wanted it. It was like...take me away from this BMW drivers house and build be back! :cry:

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Getting back to the original subject, a VR4 with exhaust, intake, and upped boost is good for high 12 to low 13 second 1/4 mile times at about 105-106mph. Like most high powered all wheel drive cars, they are extremely hard to beat off the line.

·
anti-hardtopper#1
407 Posts
Hey i only paid 3100 for my 88' turbo with leather and targa :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts