Supra Forums banner

Vvti dbw question

6K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  KrisOK 
#1 ·
Ok so
My question is .. with the 2jzgte vvti with the DBW , I take it the cable is what moves the side of throttle body and it tells the dbw system to open the plate according to how much the cable pulls . Correct ? It’s not like the 350z where the sensor on the gas pedal tells the TB to open up with no cable .. I hope this makes sense and appreciate any info

#6 ·
I’ve got my Infinity working the stock DBW on my IS300 with a vvti GTE (Aristo) swap. I don’t think you could get rid of the mechanical cable. It would be an experiment by swapping to a pedal that is 100% electronic. The thing here is that originally, it’s about 0-25% mechanical and 26-100% electronic. They made it that way so if you had a DBW error, you’d theoretically still have enough partial throttle to limp home.So I don’t know if an all electronic pedal will actually control that low 0-25% throttle that was originally mechanical. I’ve not seen it done before, so I don’t know for sure. The wiring is pretty much exactly like any modern DBW with the exception of the “clutch”. It requires a switched 12V and a pwm ground to activate. If you want my wiring notes on it, I’d be glad to share.

#7 ·
Yea I’m planning on doing a 2jz brz build at some point next year and I was researching the throttle body. The wiring specialties harness supports either options but I learned it was dbw with a cable and got confused and I haven’t seen anyone delete the cable, only the DBW delete. So I might find a pedal that supports the 2jz throttle body or just delete the DBW and get a DBC pedal. Thanks for the input!

#15 ·
@KrisOK Sadly I didn't have the foresight to pick up the 2500 and went with the 2000. I have no idea if it's possible to rely on the stock ECU to continue to operate the DBW with the transmission missing. I feel it highly unlikely I can solve that equation - even with the stock transmission I see strange behavior - such as the car closing the throttle half way during initial WOT conditions, etc. I think I'm going to have to trade up to the 2500. Even if I could get the car's stock ECU to run the DBW, features such as rev matching and traction control wouldn't be available without controlling the throttle body. Thanks again for the notes. I recognize those pin names, so I do believe they're the same (indeed location may differ).

#16 ·
Yeah, I don’t believe the 2000 Haltech will control DBW. When I first set up my infiinity (using stock ecu dbw) it wouldn’t idle great. Was like the stock ecu was trying to wrest control from the infinity. For me it was one of the big reasons to give dbw control to the infinity. As far as traction control, you should be able to cut ignition/injection with traction loss, and not even have to get dbw involved ( but you totally could if you wanted to).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.