Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Na-T
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So long story short, I have a NA-T Supra. I just did a rebuild of the motor, upgraded fuel system components, head-gasket, and went with an AEM standalone.

I have a W58 transmission now but in the future I will be upgrading to a V160 or a R154, its only a matter of time. I really do not plan on upgrading anything else power related. I'm going to focus my future focus towards redoing the suspension, paint, seats, and transmission.

Would it be too risky to get 2 boost settings tuned for so when I upgrade my transmission I can take advantage of the cars potential?

I was thinking 2 tunes, 1 being a safe tune for the w58, the other being a tune that lets the car get closer to its power potential. However never run the more aggressive tune until upgrading my transmission.

The more aggressive tune I'm expecting in the range of 450-500 whp. My turbo is a Precision 6165 if you guys want to predict tq expectations (I'm really not sure what to expect there)

Do you guys think It'd be too risky to do this due to how fragile this transmission is? Or do you think i'd be safe just for the tune and just turn down the boost setting for normal use?

I know people have handled and ran a decent amount of power through the transmission. I do not want to run that much through the trans on a normal basis, but thinking it'd be much smarter financially to go ahead and get both tunes on the car during 1 dyno session instead of having to bring Alpha to NC again to re-tune when I have the upgraded transmission.

Thanks guys for the thoughts and input!

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,106 Posts
I'd like to believe the trans will be stressed less on the rollers than the road. thats my guess because ive had cars "road tuned" and also dyno tuned, both in 4th gear pulls, and i hit higher load cells when on the road. ymmv.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Alpha tuned mine and I did a little less then 550 to the wheels. Held up fine. Transmission has 44k miles and I baby it. Had it like this for 3 years and no issues. I do not launch the car though. Just 2nd gear pulls and higher.

·
powered down
1,497 Posts
Alpha tuned mine and I did a little less then 550 to the wheels. Held up fine. Transmission has 44k miles and I baby it. Had it like this for 3 years and no issues. I do not launch the car though. Just 2nd gear pulls and higher.
Wow, that's some serious power of a W58. Are still on the stock open diff? I am making 415whp on my W58 with the stock open diff for about 7,000 miles now and I have made many pulls on it with no problem (yet)

I have made a few 2nd - 4th hard pulls banging gears and it has held up. I did just buy a big boy diff USDM 3.13 with a TRD LSD tempted to install it with it and just shorten up the stock driveshaft, the V160 is just outrageous and the R154 seems to be such a finicky trans also.

·
Na-T
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome guys, thanks fro your input. Makes me feel better about my plan for the two tune maps for the car.

My transmission is a little old, but I baby the crap out of it. I drive it like a grandmother on a Sunday morning.

·
From the land down under
4,235 Posts
If your oil is old, I would suggest changing it out to Redline MT-90 before strapping it on the dyno :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
from experience with w58 in my na-tt the trans held well into the 400's but what killed my w58 was a low gear pull stock turbos on 18psi. I then swapped to an r154 and I hate it, yes it's strong but the gearing sucks on the stock na rear. I lost a lot of torque and now I wish I had just went with the 6speed swap.

·
I turn my own wrenches!
5,282 Posts
Condition of transmission obviously will determine what happens (Few stories of those with 400hp and popping) but in most cases as long as you stay under 550hp you should be fine. I personally have had multiple supra's running w58's that I launched hard and made 500-550hp and never had an issue.

·
Registered
494 Posts
So long story short, I have a NA-T Supra. I just did a rebuild of the motor, upgraded fuel system components, head-gasket, and went with an AEM standalone.

I have a W58 transmission now but in the future I will be upgrading to a V160 or a R154, its only a matter of time. I really do not plan on upgrading anything else power related. I'm going to focus my future focus towards redoing the suspension, paint, seats, and transmission.

Would it be too risky to get 2 boost settings tuned for so when I upgrade my transmission I can take advantage of the cars potential?

I was thinking 2 tunes, 1 being a safe tune for the w58, the other being a tune that lets the car get closer to its power potential. However never run the more aggressive tune until upgrading my transmission.

The more aggressive tune I'm expecting in the range of 450-500 whp. My turbo is a Precision 6165 if you guys want to predict tq expectations (I'm really not sure what to expect there)

Do you guys think It'd be too risky to do this due to how fragile this transmission is? Or do you think i'd be safe just for the tune and just turn down the boost setting for normal use?

I know people have handled and ran a decent amount of power through the transmission. I do not want to run that much through the trans on a normal basis, but thinking it'd be much smarter financially to go ahead and get both tunes on the car during 1 dyno session instead of having to bring Alpha to NC again to re-tune when I have the upgraded transmission.

Thanks guys for the thoughts and input!
You ever get a log or dyno done? I was looking to get a few reference points to see how this tranny pulls in 4th gear with that setup

·
Registered
7 Posts
very informative, I am interested in the w58 as well power and tq goals are around 375 and focus much attention elsewhere. would anyone know of someone building the w58 like marlin crawler? I didnt see the 58 listed but I think the 58/55 share a lot in common, if anyone can clear that up, thanks in advance.

-im also a sunday driver at best. I like a good pull but I really want usability and reliability from the car on the factory twins

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just broke a W58 on 184 WHP in my SC300. Literally a halfassed BFI w/ K&N filter, axle backs, and a fluidampr crank pulley. Shredded the drive and driven gear behind the input shaft. I don't put much trust in the W58.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Brent, how many miles did your trans have?
TJ I'm only at 148K miles. I'm back up and running now though. Put the new trans in tonight :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts