Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Lag = Foreplay
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have been searching on the web for a while now trying to find out just how much power a W58 tranny can handle. I have comeback with some crazy different numbers some people saying its only good for 300 others saying it can hold up to 500. So what is it guys i need to know because i am about to put my 87 turbo back together and i need to know if i will be ok with my good ol W58 5spd. I am looking to make 400-450 HP.

·
Stormcock approves
1,859 Posts
Like nearly all transmissions, it'll hold up forever unless you actually launch or shift hard... a constant torque load never broke a thrust washer :).

·
WhorE
504 Posts
well if you goto spec clutches, they have a clutch for a w-58 that can handle 500 ft lbs :ugh2: I wouldnt go too much hp with the w-58. I have a gte matted with a w-58 and a spec stage 2 clutch. No problems here so far, but Im only running intake and exhaust. If I plan on doing any more mods Im really thinking of swapping the w-58 for an r154. just my 2 cents. You abuse something enough it will break.

Wayne

·
BoostAddict4Life
2,012 Posts
tell a constant torque shears the all the teeth off of third gear because the shear force of load is much MUCH greater then that glass transmition can handel.

just like mine failed...

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
i'd be interested to put my car on a dyno now, but i'm running 15psi on my 7mge w/ the w58. No clue as to power, but she gets up and goes...

·
7MGTE CRESSIDA PWR!!!
780 Posts
w58= fine for daily driving.... after you start abusing it or launching it...... Say goodbye w-58.... its good for about 450 hp....

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
basicaly, if you dont want to deal with a broken tranny, opt for a r154 to begine with it will take motre abuse...

i had a w58 laying around i picked up for 50 bucks to replace the one in my Celica..

i already have a few mods done to my car.. so i figured why bother buying a clutch for a 58, then to have to purchase another when i went r154..

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,222 Posts
jawsgear said:
W58 = Weak Sauce
R154 = Lesser Weak Sauce @ 400hp
TH400 = Baller Status :bowdown:
hahah i agree!!!!!

how about you start making some goodies for the r154 so we can ball on a 5spd.

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
"basicaly, if you dont want to deal with a broken tranny, opt for a r154 to begine with it will take motre abuse..."

Not true by a long shot. The W58 is just as strong as the R154 and shifts much better.

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
i believe i'm hovering around 300rwhp as of right now. (i'll find out on sunday, at the dyno) i'm on the w58 and it's holding like a champ. just make sure that sucker has gear oil in it, and you should be good to go. by the way, i have a lead foot. ;)

-shaeff

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
jong said:
i'd be interested to put my car on a dyno now, but i'm running 15psi on my 7mge w/ the w58. No clue as to power, but she gets up and goes...
ditto....for almost 27k now. But, I don't abuse/race mine, just DD with an occasional leadfoot moment :p

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
i surely will. i've also got a 57mm turbo on the way, and i'll be boosting it to 400rwhp. :) so, if this sucker holds up, i'm going to buy another, for shits and giggles. :)

-shaeff

·
239RWHP @ 9PSI
1,882 Posts
jong said:
how long have you ran your 1/2na-t with the w58? i was reading dr jones page and his blew not long before he did the conversion.

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
i've got about 2k on this tranny. here's my info from the dyno today:

back from the dyno. i couldn't get the profec B to function properly, and couldn't find my dr. jonez MBC either. i have the wastegate shimmed to hold boost until redline. i was running 10psi, creeping to 15psi. i dyno'd in fourth gear, open downpipe. stock CT-26 with mild shaft play and 3 chipped impeller blades. :)

it was a mustang dyno, and it was calibrated by putting the car in (i forget) gear and holding it steady at 3k rpm.

i'll post the sheets tomorrow, as i have to get my dad to scan them for me at his job.

here are the numbers:

1st pull:

AFR: dropped to 10.9
torque: 280
HP: 275

i then dropped the fuel pressure about 6-7psi and got:

AFR: 11
torque: 292
HP: 287

then dropped the fuel pressure a tiny bit more and got a best of:

AFR: 12.2
Torque: 295
HP: 289

remember, this is boosting 10psi, then creeping slowly to about 15. (closer to 14)

i know i could have hit 300 if i had more time to prepare. too bad it's been raining for the past week and a half!

MODS:

1986.5 chassis, still on the w58 with my own custom SOGI short shift rethreaded for stock knob, '89 7MGTE, Clutchmasters Stage III, Fidanza Lighweight Flywheel, Lexus AFM, RC 550cc Injectors, Boost Reference Aeromotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator with Fuel Pressure gauge and stainless steel braided lines, pulsatoin damper removal kit and j-tube bypass, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Megan Racing Boost Gauge, Becauseican Divorced Wastegate Downpipe, 3" RS*R Concept Cat-back with resonator removed, Cometic 1.4mm MHG, ARP Headstuds, 1mm Oversized Valves, Dr. Jonez Manual Boost Controller, Eibach Pro Kit, Koni Yellows, Upper Hardpipe/BOV, B&M 11x8 oil cooler, B&M 180* thermostat, oilfilter relocation kit, Greddy oil catch can, MKIV TT rims. 3400lbs with driver *not installed yet...* MAFTpro- speed density

·
WhorE
504 Posts
^^^ not too shabby

With the new turbo and more time to screw around what do you think youll be closer to?? Let us know how she goes. Hopefully the w58 wont blow up with the new stuff.

Wayne

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
i'm looking for 420-450rwhp out of the new turbo setup. :) i think my CM stage III will let go before the transmission will...

-shaeff

1 - 20 of 21 Posts