Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the sticky born an auto swap in manual. The one question I have is, do I need to do any cutting for the slave cylinder or cutting for the shifter to line up?

·
Blue Thunder
3,496 Posts
No cutting is needed. I did the swap in 2016 to my 86.5 using everything from an 88. It all bolts up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice .. Just putting a team together and choosing a day to get it done now. Thank you for the info because I am trying to do as much research as I can before I tackle this swap.

·
7M Fanatic
3,257 Posts
Throw your flexplate in the pile of 'no longer needed' parts, you need a flywheel, and probably bolts, since the flywheel is thicker than the sheet metal flexplate.

I highly recommend an aftermarket light weight flywheel instead of the OEM boat anchor.

·
7M Fanatic
3,257 Posts
I had picked up the iron plate W58, and a kit, but then started looking at the problem I was walking into with ratios being too wide on either of them for my application, and tracked down an ultra-rare close ratio 5th gear cluster only offered for 6 months in 1986, and not in the US......
(standard ratio would drop me off the power band when shifting from 4th to 5th)
Finally found the cluster in Bulgaria of all places, from a MkII guy going 2JZ, and wanting the taller ratio.
And that is where it sat in my shop....

Then stumbled into an aftermarket J160 (S15 Nissan 6-speed) made by HPI good for over 400ps, and an Ikeya sequential shifter, cut the bell housing off, made a weld-on adaptor plate so it will bolt to any Toyota auto bell housing.
Using a QuarterMaster hydraulic throw-out, and have picked up clutch plates with the Nissan splines to fit my AP Group-A twin plate clutch/flywheel set.
Nice thing about this, is that rpm drop is only 1500 per shift, a really nice ratio set for an all motor build.

Just needs assembly, and a custom drive shaft, but I am working 12 hour days now, and haven't found the time.....

DSC08743.JPG DSC09149.JPG DSC09129.JPG DSC09156.JPG AP-TwinPlate1.JPG

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had picked up the iron plate W58, and a kit, but then started looking at the problem I was walking into with ratios being too wide on either of them for my application, and tracked down an ultra-rare close ratio 5th gear cluster only offered for 6 months in 1986, and not in the US......
(standard ratio would drop me off the power band when shifting from 4th to 5th)
Finally found the cluster in Bulgaria of all places, from a MkII guy going 2JZ, and wanting the taller ratio.
And that is where it sat in my shop....

Then stumbled into an aftermarket J160 (S15 Nissan 6-speed) made by HPI good for over 400ps, and an Ikeya sequential shifter, cut the bell housing off, made a weld-on adaptor plate so it will bolt to any Toyota auto bell housing.
Using a QuarterMaster hydraulic throw-out, and have picked up clutch plates with the Nissan splines to fit my AP Group-A twin plate clutch/flywheel set.
Nice thing about this, is that rpm drop is only 1500 per shift, a really nice ratio set for an all motor build.

Just needs assembly, and a custom drive shaft, but I am working 12 hour days now, and haven't found the time.....

View attachment 249279 View attachment 249285 View attachment 249287 View attachment 249286 View attachment 249289
Oh wow that's crazy .that took a lot of hunting I bet!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
when swapping out the auto trans i have heard that i have to add a pilot bearing. is that true? do i have to swap out the crank so i can insert the bering? again thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
looking for a wiring diagram for the auto to w58. just tryiing to see what wires i am going to be splicing. thank you guys so much for the help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts