Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Sometimes I see dead ppl
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm asking this for a friend, as I know nothing about transmissions.

Here's the deal: Friend called me up last night saying his W58 was grinding in first and reverse. He said that he just replaced the clutch with an ACT NA one. He said it was making the noise before he installed the clutch.

I asked him if the noise goes away when he pushes in the clutch-no,

Asked him if he remembered to put gear oil back in-yes, he said he added 3 quarts-I told him to add another??

He said the only time that the grinding goes away was when the car wasn't in first or reverse. I haven't checked the car out yet, but I may try to take a look at it today after work. If someone could give me any ideas of what to look for or what may possibly be causing this problems, it would be greatly appreciated. The insight would help out alot.

thanks alot

Josh

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,150 Posts
he needs to adjust the clutch. there is an adjustment screw on the clutch peddle....

He needs to adjust it outwards meaning that when he presses the peddle it pushes the clutch in further..

that should fix it.

·
Be original, not a copy
861 Posts
Sounds like his intermediate shaft is dying. First and reverse have the deepest ratio and the most multiplication. Because of the way the power flow is routed through the trans that's what it sounds like is dying.

·
greasemonkey
3,123 Posts
also,reverse doesnt have a synchro and the 1st gear synchro could be going out. id drain it and add some redline mtl. got rid of the 2nd gear grind in my buddies w58.
william

1 - 4 of 4 Posts