Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My W58 has had this whirring noise ever since I bought it. The transmission is fine, shifts every gear no issues... no grinding or anything.

But every gear but 4th makes a whirring noise. And when the tranny is in nuetral, it whirs but has a slight clacking noise. 4th is whisper quiet (since its a 1:1 it might mean something).

I was wondering if anyone knows if its a bearing or something so I can replace it.

Matt

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got some good leads on CL... Input shaft bearing or any of the 3 carrier bearings.

·
Registered
601 Posts
a lot of toyota trans make some gear noise when in operation. if it's not too loud then it may be normal. have you been i anyone else's car with the same tranny? I think the is300 is a w series transmission as well.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The answer to your question is in the ratios.

4th gear in the w58 tranny does not use the countershaft but is instead locked straight through.

So the trouble in your tranny will most likely exist in the countershaft hardware (bearings....gears...etc).

There is a lesser possibility that the mainshaft bearings are making the noise since any gear that uses the countershaft (all but 4th) will obviously put load on both countershaft and mainshaft bearings.

If it were just input shaft bearings, you would usually hear a whirring noise in neutral that goes away when you push in the clutch.

·
Hardtop Crew
6,399 Posts
man knows his shit^ mine sometimes in neutral wines but goes away in gear. i haven't heard it whine in awile

·
Registered
790 Posts
Howlermoney is correct, start with the countershaft components and go from there, thats all it can really be based off you descriptions. Ive dealt with the same complaint on some Tacomas which basically have the same tranny.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The answer to your question is in the ratios.

4th gear in the w58 tranny does not use the countershaft but is instead locked straight through.

So the trouble in your tranny will most likely exist in the countershaft hardware (bearings....gears...etc).

There is a lesser possibility that the mainshaft bearings are making the noise since any gear that uses the countershaft (all but 4th) will obviously put load on both countershaft and mainshaft bearings.

If it were just input shaft bearings, you would usually hear a whirring noise in neutral that goes away when you push in the clutch.

Howler: Sounds like you really know your stuff. I have a W58 tranny. Makes sort of a gear meshing whirring sound while the cars in neutral, clutch out. Clutch in, gear sound goes away. I'm thinking input shaft bearing? You? Also am I doing bad things/wrecking the tranny by driving it? I'dike to drive it for the rest of the summer before I pull it out and fix it in the Winter. Thx. Matt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts