Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I finally towed my other car down from Maryland last weekend and decided to take it for a drive today. The car had been sitting for approx 6 months and had not been driven regularly in a couple of years other than a few spins around the block and some start ups every couple of weeks.

I was on empty so I stopped to get gas. I noticed my fuel pump was really loud, it has always been noisy, but it seemed louder than normal although it could be my imagination.

Well, I decided to try and get some boost going and when I stepped on the gas the car stuttered very badly. I figured I may have some water or trash left over in the tank from sitting. I continue to drive a few more miles and I notice my fuel pressure gauge is going beserk jumping from 32 to below 10. I pull off the highway and the gauge drops to zero and the car dies.

I let it sit for a while and it started back up and idled for a few minutes and then did the same thing.

So, I am guessing I either have a fuel pump issue, a fuel filter issue or a water/trash issue? It seems as if there is a clog because when I stomp the gas the fuel pressure will not jump above 20ish. I can't get any boost on the supercharger.

The car is a 98 Mustang GT with a Procharger P1-SC. I don't need any Mustang haters commenting on what a POS Mustangs are either so if you can't help, please reserve your comments.

BTW, I love my Haggerty insurance! Free flatbed towing and very courteous to deal with!

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
One of a couple things:

A: Fuel pump is shot
B: Dry rotted rubber on the pump is causing a pressure leak
C: Clogged fuel filter
D: Debris on the fuel pump mesh

In order of my likely hood. A used fuel pump isnt much money.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know, I don't even remember when it happened. What were you thinking though?

It has rained all weekend and I haven't been able to do anything with it since my Supra is in the garage.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
it's most likely the pump, but a bad connector can be the cause too. i would check the power to the pump as well as the connectors first. if you got 12v+ there, replace the pump as well as the filter.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured I would end up replacing both as both Mr. Wob and yourself have the same suspicions my brother did.

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts