Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Little history on my car... I upgraded from an SP67 to a 71GTQ + AEM. As soon as I started making close to 700rwhp w/ the new turbo I noticed the pumps weren't able to flow enough. My strainers were so dirty. I had never been in the fuel tank since buying my Supra 3 years ago. I went ahead and replaced both of the pumps w/ new strainers. Everything looked fine up to 801rwhp.

Three months later I'm 1 mile outside the drag strip and fuel pressure starts to drop. I then noticed a weak noise coming from my fuel system followed by silence. Checked the fuse to my fuel pumps and it had blown. I bypassed my relay and it would still blow. Then I noticed it would only blow when I connected power into the tank, so I figured thats where my problems were.

Pulled the pumps out and the wiring looked just fine!!?? Swapped out two new fuel pumps and the car ran fine. While making a pass one of the pumps let go. Didn't do any damage to the motor as it only went lean for a second and my AEM logs showed no knock. I then disconnected the power to the pump that let go b/c I was thinking maybe the harness that you plug into the top of the Walboro pump was somehow shorting out and blowing the fuse that I have to both pumps. I drove the car home and it's been fine since, but I'm sick of driving around on pump gas.

I have a new harness I could replace that and order another Walboro. I'm hesitant to spend any more money on these pumps though. I tried seeing if the Walboro's I pulled out of the car would work, but they didn't do anything when I gave them power. I THINK my problem is the harness, but Im not sure. Whatever happened w/ the power wire/harness destroyed the pumps. Any ideas/thoughts? Thinking about going w/ a Weldon external pump.

Thanks for your help!

-Clark

R

·
0 Posts
This isn't the first time in the past few months that someone has had a problem with the Walbro's......have you called them at all to see what they have to say?

R

·
0 Posts
You do have some options. You can always do an external. You could also buy some stockers, they do pull more power but they are stockers and I would think they would last for a while, even at 12v all the time.

·
Super Moderator
10,498 Posts
Go with two stockers. It's never been clear to me why guys go with Walbros in the first place. Yes, the stockers draw more power, but they're quiet, extremely reliable and outflow everything out there. This is truly a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of deal. In Japan, more and more of the non-Toyota big power cars are going with Supra pumps, this in a land where they love fuel pumps, the more the merrier it would seem (Remember the GReddy S-Roc Skyline? It had four (!) Bosch fuel pumps for reasons that are still unclear to me given the power that car was producing).

I have two stockers and eight 1000 cc injectors and more than enough fuel to make 1100 wheel. OEM is your best bet, IMO. Good luck.

Ken.

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
Here's what you want to do. Take the tree out an check every wire, even the connector. My connector was completely melted on two contacts, and we had to run two wires directly and seal with silicon. Three pumps draw a bit of current. :(

Eric

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
This sounds like a wiring problem killing the pumps. If there is high resistance the pumps may be running very hot and dying. The supra pumps are going to need up to twice the current so the electrical demand is now going to be even higher. I'd look into the wiring or the supra pumps may die the same way. A digital multimeter can be used to check resistance of your wiring. I'd do that before risking the new pumps. I really haven't heard a flood of reports that walbros are less reliable. They're sold by the thousands for all kinds of cars.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Whoa clark hope you didnt mess up anything. I have 2 Walbros in my car also. But I hate how damn loud they are though. How do you have them grounded and how is the power fed to them. I agree with supra400hptt that it is a wiring issue. Anyway the stockers is what i would do if i had to do it over again. Good luck man.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts