Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a replacement supra and when i first got fire in the hole, i noticed the dreaded noise from the fuelt tank. I thought my pump was busted so i was planning on removing it. Lucky for me, when cleaning up the car i saw a service order from the previous owner for a walbro pump installation. Given the noise, i'm assuming it's a walbro pump. Working to confirm that it is a walbro of course.
Now, i've searched and couldn't find anything concrete to safely lower the whine it makes at idle. Of course while driving you can't tell because of the exhaust noise. From the search i did, it seems like the resistor isn't recommended. So what's the fix for the noise, if there's one?

·
AEM SP63
1,459 Posts
Can't believe your complaining about Walbro FP noise, I can barely hear it on my friend's cars. If you think your Walbro is loud, you should come hear my external pump. And to tell you the truth, I don't even pay attention to it, I forget it's there.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
QWIKSTRIKE said:
No fix, so... just live with it!
I applied an aluminum sided butyl sound dampener to the top of the gas tank, then sealed with rubberized undercoating to seal & add mass. I would rate sound attenuation at over ~50%. I am in the process of applying the same lightweight sheeting to the hatch area to reduce the whine further. If you do the 12V mod, it will only whine louder, BTDT.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
chevyeater-on-sf said:
Take your exhaust off, you can't hear sh1t over an open downpipe. Not even two Whinebros hard mounted to the pump hanger and running on 14V.
Heh, that's one solution, LOL. Turning up the music is another.
;)

·
Registered
689 Posts
haha every reply to a "i have an unwanted noise coming from my car" post, people just say "turn up the stereo!" or "i cant hear it cuz my exhaust is so loud!" hehehe funny stuff.

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
I must be the only guy that loves the sound of my Apexi pump with a BoostAPump.. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Always reminds me of the Titan Promo video when you can hear the pumps blazing from behind the car. :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Larry_A said:
I applied an aluminum sided butyl sound dampener to the top of the gas tank, then sealed with rubberized undercoating to seal & add mass. I would rate sound attenuation at over ~50%. I am in the process of applying the same lightweight sheeting to the hatch area to reduce the whine further. If you do the 12V mod, it will only whine louder, BTDT.
:scratch: That just sounds crazy complicated.... Or maybe it's too early.
I think i'll just live with it for now. The noise is only noticeable at idle, and mostly because i have the rear seats of the car laid down flat for now. They're all cracked up and dry from the previous owner so i laid them down for now. The noise should be lower in the cabin with the seats up.

·
regretfully supraless
1,331 Posts
I have a Walbro pump, it was inmy car for a day but it was *abnormally* loud...and my car kept bogging down and had no power whatsoever...so I thought maybe it was a faulty pump (Ebay)...put the stock one back in, and it turns out it's not a faulty pump, but the thing wa sos clogged b/c the new tank I had put on still had some dirt n crap in the tank...eventually, I'll get a new pump filter and the Walbro will go back in...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another question related to this.... My fuel gauge doesn't seem to be accurate. When i fill up the gas gauge shows that it's 1/4 a tank lower than the full mark, and the needle doesn't move as it should. Meaning, sometimes it'll jump down a 1/4 tank suddenly and what not. I'll check the floater this weekend, but any other suggestions? Is this inherent to the walbro pump or something?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts