Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well coming home today, she bit me back...I was cruising at about 80 @ 3k when i feel a drop in power. I get off the exit and I thought i was out of gas and tha tank was reading wrong...i get gas, make it home hobbling at 2k rpm. I check FP and I'm making only 10psi when the key is on. (Car not started) This is down from 45-50psi.

I pull the tank cover to find that the secondary pump line hose has come off the pump. I reattached tightening the clamp very hard. I button everything back up...turn the key on, after about 5 second i hear the pumps do something and the FP drops, I open the tank again, find the same problem. Open everything back up, do the same, make sure everything is extra tight, test it with the tank open, works fine, close it up..after about 15 seconds testing both fuses and FP making sure everything is right, and just when I thought it would be fixed, it happens again! I have everything open now and I honestly can't figure out why it's doing this, the fuel system has been on the car for 15-18k miles.

It's a SP FUel system on a Single. Any Ideas at this point to solve the problem are welcomed other than more hose clamps, because the car hasn't had a problem for this long why all of the sudden? I thought a clogged fuel filter might have done it but after talking with numerous people noone came to that conclusion.

Any help is appriciated....

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bump from someone experiencing fuel pump problems, i want to know what's wrong with yours

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
rocked said:
*Thankfully this didn't happen under boost....*
The danger can be eliminated.

You could wire up a SPST pressure switch to open the wastegate in the event of fuel pump failure.. it'd be easy to do, but not cheap.. a fuel resistant switch would be upwards of 30-50 bucks, factor in wiring and a relay and your near $90.. but in the perspective of losing an engine, its really cheap, IMHO. The relay would trip the control relay on your boost controller.. it all sounds good in theory, but I have never touched a boost controller, so it might not work the way I am thinking it would..

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
I'd imagine that either the pump (where the hose mounts on it) or the hose that mounts on it is cracked; or there is a restriction somewhere in the fuel system.

You can check the fuel filter(s) by removing then blowing thru it (them). It is kinda ghetto and doesn't taste good but you'll know if it is restricting flow or not. If the filter is doing its job, that is where any restriction will wind up, unless you've grounded out on something and pinched a line.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If there isnt a restriction, my next best guess is that the hose is old and hard and you need a newer hose that can get some fresh bite on the fuel pump barb.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hmmm... any chance you could swap lines on the pumps? You have two now right? If so swap them. If the same line pops off the other pump, then you know there is a restriction somewhere on that one line.

·
"Philzilla"
694 Posts
Hose Size?

Ensure the hose going into the pump is 5/16" (not 3/8"). A 3/8" hose mates up to -6AN fittings much better, but will pop off the pump every time. If you use a 5/16 hose and double-clamp it, it won't come off.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just strange this is happening after being on the car for 15k miles...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any adverse effects to running the smaller line to the pumps? Probbably not because it's only for about 6inches i would assume...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts