Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If for whatever reason you don't wanna read, the actual questions are underlined.

Hey all, I've been wanting to get a MK3 for quite a while now. Personally just like the 80's body style more (and hey, it's cheaper :D). I have a couple of questions, first to start is that I do want to get a Turbo model, I don't particularly mind if someone has modded it hell and back, customizing after that is what I plan on doing anyway. What does a nice-ish quality mk3 turbo go for? Want to get the manual to get the brownie points with the bros. I've been looking on sites like my local version of craigslist (since utah doesn't like that site for some reason) and the only Turbo in my state on sale currently is for 10k, but the guy sounds like a douche in the ad about it. Along with stuff like Cargurus or whatever. I'm fully willing to travel (across the USA that is) to get one, But obviously the closer to Salt Lake the better. I've seen the price vary quite a lot from state to state, that could just be the people trying to sell but What state is the best to try and get one from? If there even is one. I've seen a few from California and a bunch from Florida. Next is Are there things I should be aware of when trying to buy from out of State? It would probably be a good idea to overhaul a bunch of things if it's stock anyway if I want to do a bunch of "crazy" upgrades, but If I try to buy one with an engine swap, what are some things I should look out for before even considering buying the thing? I want to turn the thing into stronger performance car, just so it's got a good oomph to match the Supra name. Cosmetic stuff would come much later after I'm satisfied with whatever performance I end up at.
I currently don't have the money to buy one, probably not for awhile. But it's something I really want to save for, I think this is my dream car and I am willing to make this happen. I just need all the tools before I rush into something I'll regret (like my current car ;-; ).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say up to 7k, but I see some nicer ones done up for like 8.5 on swaps so that would be ok. If it’s totally stock I just think it’s not worth as much.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
9,940 Posts
What does a nice-ish quality mk3 turbo go for?
I've seen really decent MKIII's for $5500-$6500 (https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1987/Toyota/Supra/3-Door-Liftback/Values)

What state is the best to try and get one from?
Southern states or ones that don't get much snow.

Are there things I should be aware of when trying to buy from out of State?
If you're in California, (I'll have to see if these cars are still required) but the vehicle will need to pass SMOG.

If I try to buy one with an engine swap, what are some things I should look out for before even considering buying the thing?
The quality of the swap in general. What engine, transmission, ECU.. etc. General mechanical stuff that applies to buying any car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought mine in Connecticut drove it across the country to Utah. Lots of fun! Only issue that I had was a burnt out headlight. You on the Supras of Utah facebook page?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Are there things I should be aware of when trying to buy from out of State?
If you're in California, (I'll have to see if these cars are still required) but the vehicle will need to pass SMOG.
If registering in California, our MK3s have to pass SMOG check.

·
YotaMD.com author
718 Posts
1. Price for something nice: $8-10k based on what I see on craigslist.
2. State: Colorado or south and Colorado or west. Avoid midwest and east coast and your odds are good of avoiding rust.
3. Out of state: emissions considerations, that's it.
4. Swap: If you're ok with a full-on project car, then this isn't a big deal. If you want it to be "ready to drive" and reliable, I'd avoid most swaps. A swap is a big job and it'll be hard to determine if it's been done "right" before a sale, unless it's been documented on a forum. The guys doing swaps "right" are probably going be selling the car at well above the normal prices in your area. $15k would be cheap for a well done 2JZ swapped manual trans mk3.

·
Registered
946 Posts
First off, do you have another car that is reliable? If not, sort that out first.

Second, do you have at the very least, a set of metric sockets and wrenches? You'll need them.

Third, have you ever been in one, or driven one? They're great cars, but depending on what you're intending to do with the car, it may not be ideal. They can be made to handle, they can be made to fly in a straight line too. They can also be supremely comfortable highway cruisers / road trip cars. This is my most important advice here, figure out WHAT you want from a car, before diving in.

As far as 80's cars go, they are without a doubt, among the best that were made, no exaggeration. Once they're well sorted, they're actually pretty darned reliable too, I used to daily mine for many a year, all year, all weather.

I'd be happy to take you for a ride in mine sometime if you're up around the Rock Springs area, to get an idea of what can be done with these cars, the work involved, some of the costs, hurdles, headaches, etc... I love my car, but it's a sickness more than any particularly good reason. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts