Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,

looking for a super cheap laptop in the 604 for datalogging. Heres what it needs to have:

>90 mhz processor
>32 megs ram
>windows 95
serial port
colour or not
batteries can be shot if they are 12v or it has a car adapter

I know people throw out laptops of this technology level, so Im looking to spend very little.

Its going to live in my car too. Are there laptops that run on 12V batteries so that I could wire it into my car? If not, I would need a car adapter.

Thanks

Curtis

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem with ebay is even the cheapest laptops (~$20) have shipping fees like $25, plus exchange, plus duty. I was hoping someone might have one in thier basement that is useless and I could trade them a case of beer for.

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
lol yeah, theres some really cheap stuff on ebay, but then theres 30$ shipping and stuff. Ill ask some of my freinds and see if they have any old laptops lying around anywere, have you tried cash converters. lol i think half the stuff there is stolen but i bet theres some lap tops there

·
Registered
119 Posts
NEC VERSA 2405 laptop. Petium 100 Mhz processor, 800x600 display,floppy drive, 812 mb hard drive. no OS, bsattery and ac adaptor.ps/2 and infrared. Must sell. Will sell with USRobotics 33.6kbps pc card modem with xjack connector, x2 upgradeable and 14.4kbps fax for only 5 dollars more. $40. obo. Surrey. Tel: 604-543-4622

TOSHIBA AND NEC laptop. Approximately 5 years old. Both in excellent condition. Both have disk drive and CD drive. Internet ready. Must sell. $150. obo. Port Coquitlam. Tel: 604-767-4433

·
Eclectic
1,139 Posts
go talk to my dad Dennis at that computer (used-computer.com) shop near the tim hortons on marine drive.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
soup , will do once im done exams, thanks.

I tried the B&S last night but it wasnt working. I thought about trying pawn shops/cash converters as well.

Are laptops with 12V batteries common, or am I going to have to use a DC - AC adapter then AC - laptop adapter?

·
Registered
119 Posts
i thin kmost of them will have funny outputs, like 4.3V, or 15.4, that sort of thing. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find some sort of variable voltage adapter, but i don't know if you could find the proper amperage etc. Best bet would be to pump it through an inverter and back out again.

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
if you go to london drugs they have those ac adapters that have the switch which changes the voltage, if you got one of those 300watt inverters you could go 12v cig liter-->inverter-->ac adapter-->laptop right?

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,222 Posts
I've got a good laptop 1900 $ canadian

it's a AMD64 3000 with radeon 9600 mobility
512 MB ram 60 GIG hd, dvd writer / cd writer

15.4"

lots of other stuff 3 year futureshop extended warrenty

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
^^lol just a little out of his price range eh :p

CHEAP COMPUTER!!! ONLY $50! Hitatchi Pentium 1 notebook 6GB HD, 120 MHZ processor, 128 MB ram... does your basics: word process, surf the net etc. call Ryan $50. negot. Vancouver. Tel: 778-883-8823

you could try that one, it was on the buy and sell, it would proabbly work

1 - 17 of 17 Posts