Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been having issues with my ABS and Slip Cont Off light coming on. Before it was only occasionally, then it became more frequent until they were always flashing warnings at me. The only things I had messed with on the car recently were the Greddy BCC on the ECU and the fuel pump. Couldn't figure out how those had anything to do with trac or ABS. Well took off the wheel and confirmed I really need to raise the car up a tad.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Hood Light

Tire Automotive tire Grey Tread Water

Yes, the exact spot it scraped through was on the wiring harness that goes over the fender wheel liner. Luckily it had only managed to chew through the wheel speed sensor wires so far, which was causing the ABS fault. Fixed those wires and adjusted the coilovers a bit so fingers crossed for no more rubbing 馃

Anyone else have a dumb mistake to share?

Registered
Rejoined
That was a great find on your part. You'd have not seen it without removing the tire/wheel. Was the driver side wheel well liner ok?

Inline for the win
A few others did this in the past and lost the car due to arching wires on the driver's side. Supras don't need to be "slammed" or "stanced".

DP

Registered
Looks like fortune autos. How you like it in the supra? I find the fa500 pretty comfortable on the is300 I have

Reactions: FastTurbo

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was a great find on your part. You'd have not seen it without removing the tire/wheel. Was the driver side wheel well liner ok?
I have rhd so this was driver's side, but the other side was not rubbing at all. I lifted both sides up just to be safe though.

You didn't sense any rubbing when you initially installed the coil-overs?
Nope, no rubbing when first set up. This is about a year later and the rubbing came on more gradually so I think the suspension has settled in since install. I extra tightened the adjustment collars to be safe.

Looks like fortune autos. How you like it in the supra? I find the fa500 pretty comfortable on the is300 I have
I like them. Got a good deal on them during their annual scratch and dent sale. I have them without the swift springs. They are quite firm. It was between these, Feals, and HKS hipermax but ultimately went with the FA because of the modular design and the option of potentially upgrading/adjusting in the future

Super Moderator
this is why i always do 2 finger gaps all around, too risky... i had my car 1 finger gap before and hit a really bad bump one night and tore up my brand new fender liners. pissed was an understatement.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is why i always do 2 finger gaps all around, too risky... i had my car 1 finger gap before and hit a really bad bump one night and tore up my brand new fender liners. pissed was an understatement.
That's a good method. Mine were originally less than 1 finger gap, more like a diagonal lol. Now it's a narrow two finger gap. Looks less aggressive but will function much better I'm sure

Registered
You might have helped me avoid a similar problem. I have occasional rubbing on hard bumps after installing 18" TE37 wheels. I have coilovers. What is meant by the "two fingers" adjustment all the way around? Thanks man. -Tony

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's funny because I am running te37 sagas on coilovers. Apparently a common setup!
Two finger gaps between the outer wheel and the fender should be a safe distance to account for bumps. I stiffened up my coilover settings a bit to hoping that might help.

Registered
Just put on a fresh set of HKS Hipermax on the missus' car, tried setting the height to match the previous (blown) JIC Magic's that were on it. Have a bit of rubbing with a 1.5 finger gap, gonna raise it up another 15mm or so, because Wyoming roads. Good to see what can happen so I can explain to her why having such a low car isn't always a great idea...

Side note @FZoZach how were you rubbing the FRONT of the inner fender? How tall of a tire are you running??? I always assumed it was rubbing the top of the liner...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not actually sure how it was rubbing the front of the fender to be honest. It was also rubbing the top but hadn't made it through the liner there yet. I have 245/40/18s which I didn't think were overly large for the fronts. To be fair, I was quite low though. Enough where you wouldn't be able to touch the top of the tire.

Master Shit Fixer
Just put on a fresh set of HKS Hipermax on the missus' car, tried setting the height to match the previous (blown) JIC Magic's that were on it. Have a bit of rubbing with a 1.5 finger gap, gonna raise it up another 15mm or so
I had the same thing happen (front tires) when I first installed the HKS Hipermax "S" coilovers. But instead of raising the height, I've increased the preload, and that seems to have fixed it for me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now that I think about it, it was rubbing the front fender on full lock turns like in parking locks. So I鈥檓 not sure if preload would solve that. No choice but to raise it

Master Shit Fixer
Now that I think about it, it was rubbing the front fender on full lock turns like in parking locks. So I鈥檓 not sure if preload would solve that. No choice but to raise it
Yea, my issue was high-speed/high-G turns at the track, then hitting a small dip in the track. Your issue seems like it can only be solved by more height.

Registered
I had the same thing happen (front tires) when I first installed the HKS Hipermax "S" coilovers. But instead of raising the height, I've increased the preload, and that seems to have fixed it for me.
We live in Wyoming, it was just a matter of being a little too low to live a scrape free life in the land or pickups. :p

Raised it up another 8mm of thread height, putting us right between HKS' "as delivered" and "as tested" heights. Has a nice two finger gap now, but it's not a 4x4, so I'll call it good unless we run into more rubbing. Gotta test it out later or tomorrow anyhow.

Registered
Just put on a fresh set of HKS Hipermax on the missus' car, tried setting the height to match the previous (blown) JIC Magic's that were on it. Have a bit of rubbing with a 1.5 finger gap, gonna raise it up another 15mm or so, because Wyoming roads. Good to see what can happen so I can explain to her why having such a low car isn't always a great idea...

Side note @FZoZach how were you rubbing the FRONT of the inner fender? How tall of a tire are you running??? I always assumed it was rubbing the top of the liner...
I'm nuking it here, sorry in advance.. for the measurement, should I stick my fingers between the top of the tire and closest section of the fender well? Does it matter if I two-finger measure from the top of the tire to the wheel well arc (1200 position) versus the front-most section of the wheel well arc (0900 position), versus the rear (1500 position)?

I confirmed the tire is rubbing on the top of the wheel well, with visible marks on the fender liner. Glad I haven't replaced those yet, but need to now lol.

Registered
I'm nuking it here, sorry in advance.. for the measurement, should I stick my fingers between the top of the tire and closest section of the fender well? Does it matter if I two-finger measure from the top of the tire to the wheel well arc (1200 position) versus the front-most section of the wheel well arc (0900 position), versus the rear (1500 position)?

I confirmed the tire is rubbing on the top of the wheel well, with visible marks on the fender liner. Glad I haven't replaced those yet, but need to now lol.
No worries. When I say a "two finger gap" it's a loose measurement, since everybody's fingers are gonna be different sizes. I'd say I have about a 1.25" gap between the top of her tire and the bottom of the fender opening, roughly, at the 1200 position. That's the critical measurement. If you're not rubbing there, you shouldn't be rubbing elsewhere.

Can do things that allow lower ride heights, but they usually involve having a front suspension that is so stiff that it allows very little movement. Usually this makes for a less than enjoyable ride. Her car, I set the coilover heights to HKS' specs in the manual, didn't touch the dampening from how they were delivered, and we took it on a ~1300 mile road trip, complete with lapping at LVMS. Car rides both realistic roads and track curbs equally well. I'm impressed, to say the least. Never thought a car could be both comfortable AND capable, short of perhaps the mag-ride setups you see on GM and Ferrari sports cars.

Registered
Thanks for the follow up and the detailed explanation. I watched YouTube videos on how to adjust the coilover height.. seems easy enough. I don't have the collar tool as a shop installed the suspension. Assuming I can order one through the interwebs. Thanks again man.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts