Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am in the market looking to purchase a mkIV. The only problem is, is that I am not completely sure on which I would like to purchase...na or tt. I have done some research, and I am sure theres alot of information that I am still missing, but I still am unsure of what to do. I know that I want a tt, but I would really like to convert an na to tt, maybe buy an n/a shell/roller. I don't really know. I know that price is the major point to look at. If i bought an n/a shell for around 4 or 5k and transplanted the 2jz-gte and the getrag 6 spd that would cost anywhere from 3k to 9k from what I have seen in my research, plus the expense of a tt wiring harness? Ive read that the tunnel for the trannies are completely different, and ive read that the heads of an n/a and tt flow completely different, some places even say that the n/a head flows better than the tt head. I work with a guy that owns a white mkIV who also told me the same thing. He did the na to tt conversion but paid a pretty hight price for his n/a, which in the long run ended up costing him more than it would have to have just bought a tt instead. So at this point I am stuck in the middle and in one hand I have the n/a to tt conversion if I could do it cost effectively, and in the other hand I have just buying a tt and starting there, but I don't want an automatic whatsoever, period, so that makes buying a tt that much more expensive. i would appreciate all the input and advice that I can get! thanks everyone!

·
Registered
323 Posts
No a na to a tt swap is a lot of money especially if your going for the v160 ( the 6 speed ) you might as well buy what you WANT now and get it over with or you will be on of those guys who spend around 10k for just a 6 speed swap. It would cost you way more than 3k It would be more like 7-10k depending on the clutch and obviously this means your doing your own labor. I would only recommend doing a na to tt if it were a really clean hardtop supra something worth it thats my Opinion though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok I'd the tranny tunnel different between the 5spds and the 6 spds? How much do the 6spds usually run? All of the tt 6spds I've looked at haven't sold for under 20k unless it was a shell,and then they still sold for 10k give or take. Thanks alot for ur input, it helps alot in making my decision

·
Registered
323 Posts
No the tranny tunnel isn't different. But a used v160/v161( 6 speed ) is around $3k to $3.5k Yes 6 speeds are expensive spend the money now and don't regret it later on. You can find a pretty good 6 speed tt supra for around 25k-30k.

It took me almost 1 1/2 to find a nice deal on a supra and it was an auto i'm very pleased with it though buying a built auto but everyone to his own this supra fits me i'm just wanting to drag race so its more suitable.

·
Car guy
803 Posts
I'm converting a '98 N/A to tt right now. I'm doing all the labor and the amount of parts you need is staggering. Nothing is the same.

To do it right you will need:

2jzgte engine U.S., if Jdm will need U.S. injectors, U.S. cams, and U.S. turbo's or single
tt tranny
tt rear end and axles
tt harness
tt radiator
tt fan and shroud
tt ecu or standalone
tt driveline
tt electronic's(igniter, resister pack, tach

That's just off the top of my head. Only reason I'm doing this car is how rare it is with 23k miles on the chassis.

I've also done a tt auto to 6-speed swap and again it costs alot of money for the parts. Easily 10k if you get a JDM 6-speed clip with 6 speed rear end, axles and driveline.

You will probably be better off finding a genuine tt 6-speed car for 25-28k.

The tunnel only has to be changed if you are going auto to 5-speed or 6-speed swap. If you find a 5-speed n/a you will not have to swap to 6-speed tunnel.

Good luck, I think its a good idea if you can find an n/a cheap enough or possibly a shell but keep in mind its a ton of parts and labor.

·
Registered
323 Posts
^ exactly my point see your car is worth the swap imo. If I find a nice na I would most definately swap a tt 6 speed into it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Don't waste your time and money on a na, and swapping in a 6 speed. U regret it... Parts and Labor will surpass its resale value

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys I love all the help! It's not the labor I'm worried about at all. I actually want to be the only one that touches it if all goes well. I would love to just buy a tt 6spd but I don't want to spend 28 to 30k. The most I want to spend is 25k and that's pushin it. So does the na head flow better?

·
King of Snark
1,521 Posts
buy an tt.. in the beginning it will cost more but in the long run it's way less headaches.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so you're saying its more expensive to just buy a tt, but less work. vise versa buying a cheap na and converting it could be cheaper but alot of work

·
Registered
389 Posts
no hes saying it will cost more however it will still retain its value. Also, less headache. If i were you, id buy a clean roller. And start a project from ground up if u are low on cash. Thats what i did with my first supra. Bought a clean roller for cheap then slowly bought parts at my own pace and at my own budget. End result. U still have a factory tt - holds its value and u still have a TT. And you learn more about your car from ground up. It can be a lil headache looking for the parts. But where is the fun when its just given to u . Building a car imo is far more exciting then just jumping in one. Although jumping in one has its perks too but the anticipation makes it 10x better. Thats only if you are low on cash. But if you got the money go for a tt its an investment. You got nothing to loose. Its like a savings account. Also a money pit once u own it.. A lot of threads about it btw.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, well its not that i dont have the money, just dont think im willing to pay in the upper 20k's for one. id really like a tt that needs some tlc, i want to take one that was mistreated and bring it back to its former glory, and i really want to get into racing. if it wasnt so tough to convert an auto to a 6spd i would just go that route. and i wouldnt want to do all that work and stick in a 5spd that cant handle the power. in short i want a tt that i can afford to buy and still afford to build. but i've learned alot from this thread and thank you all for the input. always open for more advice!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no hes saying it will cost more however it will still retain its value. Also, less headache. If i were you, id buy a clean roller. And start a project from ground up if u are low on cash. Thats what i did with my first supra. Bought a clean roller for cheap then slowly bought parts at my own pace and at my own budget. End result. U still have a factory tt - holds its value and u still have a TT. And you learn more about your car from ground up. It can be a lil headache looking for the parts. But where is the fun when its just given to u . Building a car imo is far more exciting then just jumping in one. Although jumping in one has its perks too but the anticipation makes it 10x better. Thats only if you are low on cash. But if you got the money go for a tt its an investment. You got nothing to loose. Its like a savings account. Also a money pit once u own it.. A lot of threads about it btw.
are you planning to swap in a 6spd or are you going to leave it auto?

·
Registered
389 Posts
i have a 6spd. so leaving this one auto. auto to tt is a headache but far easier then a na to tt imo. All you basically need is 6spd ecu,driveshaft,axles,tranny,diff (best time to upgrade to a lsd),6spd wiring harness etc. can be done a lil shy of 5k installed with a low mile tranny. i have most of the parts to switch over to 6spd. but i am just gona keep it auto. maybe make it a mean single street sleeper eventually.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea that'd def be a good way to go, tho supra and sleeper don't go well together in a sentence lol,at least where I am from. I think now what I'm going to do is buy an auto tt because they seem go go for under 20k pretty often, and buy all the 6spd stuff over the course of a year and build the 6spd to be able to withstand a substantial amount of hp and torque. I know the getrag can handle a descent amount of power from what I've read. I would like to eventually push around 600 horses and run it in autocross and showcase it in my shop when I open it. Now heres another million dollar question. What tends to be the better setup, single or tt? I know they both have their pros and cons, ie spool time, high end or low end, etc..and I know sound performance engineered a high hp set up staying with sequential and using 4 wastegates opposed to the stock.

·
Registered
323 Posts
lehmann2jz the stock 6 speed can handle any amount of power you throw at it as long as you have a good clutch.. And aftermarket twins vs a single it depends some of the guys on here have a small turbo some guy just posted a 61mm with a log style manifold plus a quick spool valve and had 300rtq at really low rpm. Just depends what you want 600 hp is easy just which way do you want to go how early do you want it to turn on? Do you have plans to go for more than 600 hp in the future? If not you could buy a single with a log style manifold and be fine with great spool time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
to be honest I have a list of plans, but I want to start small because I have a ton to learn still. I want 600 as my first goal, but when I'm done I want to push the supra to it's limit, whatever that may be. At this point I don't know because I honestly lack the experience. I only have a small build and some schooling under my belt. So it's a learning process for me. Thanks for the info on the clutch, easy for me to overlook that. I haven't even began racing yet, I've never had the opportunity, but the supra I buy will be my beginning in that world and not to mention I've been looking at supras for four years and I am just now about ready to buy one. So I figured I'd start racing with stock and over a year or two get to around 600hp and then after that who knows I guess. Gotta start somewhere first. Wouldn't an earlier spool in autocross or road racing be beneficial?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yes it would go look we have a autocross section in here and I've looked at it a couple times i'm sure the guys could help you in there also you can look at the dyno section and look at peoples dyno charts and see what setup they have and what time the boost turns on how soon it spools how much hp/tq and low rpms etc.

·
Registered
730 Posts
get a tt. its more fun and less work from the get go. and welcome to the forum. only benefit i can see from getting a na and converting is lower insurance cost (from what i hear). anyway good luck either way and 600hp sure is a lot of fun and a handful.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts