Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today in the middle of my errands I started the car after filling up and a large cloud of blue smoke was floating around after I started the car and it’s just one big puff (been driving for about and hour before that)

Then I stopped at Costco and let it sit for 10mins and it did the same thing.

After I was done the costco run it didn’t smoke when I started it, drove for 30 mins. Stopped for 20ish mins - big smoke cloud.

No smoke on rev
No smoke on boost

Engine has about 10k Kms on it, head was ported and rebuilt back when the block was changed. Turbo has a few thousand KM on it now.

I thought if it was valve stems it’s only when it sits for a while. No power issues, I did 2 pulls on my way home to make sure.

Any ideas? Piston rings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah same engine, we finished the tuning end of last summer. This has been the first full season with the car.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What was done 5000 miles ago when it was built. Is this the engine you said you're getting 600 hp from? Seems too long after rebuild to be related to the rebuild itself, and too short to be anything that was replaced that few miles ago.
New block
Forged weisco pistons
Head ported and rebuilt
Sequential ignition
Bosch low impedance 750cc injectors
Complete new fuel system + tank
AEM V2
Aem fuel pump
Map sensor conversion
DM hall sensor CPS kit
MHG torqued to new spec
Holset HX40 turbo (cold side , mod stock hot side)
Separator type catch can

I might be forgetting some engine stuff

·
Registered
Toyota Supra Turbo 7M-GTE with R154 5-speed
488 Posts
I've got no answer, my long-running build has had a couple of close calls, either, or any of which could cause me to be asking the same questions in the future. You've made it further then I have. What's the history of the oil for the first 5000 miles? Use any? Changed when? Type? Was there a break-in required? How'd it go?

·
Registered
17 Posts
just taking a while guess.... considering its happening during warm starts only. Not sure what kind of "separator type catch can" you're running or how you plumbed it. but could be possibly sucking a good amount of condensed oil since vacuum is more pronounced at idle during cracking?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking catch can, maybe it’s full. I’ll empty it and try again. It’s rain here for the next few days

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got no answer, my long-running build has had a couple of close calls, either, or any of which could cause me to be asking the same questions in the future. You've made it further then I have. What's the history of the oil for the first 5000 miles? Use any? Changed when? Type? Was there a break-in required? How'd it go?
I have about 6 oil changes on it now, always running liquid Molly 10 40

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not a drop in the can lol, it’s the moroso one air/oil separator.

I’m just about to cold start it in the garage to see what will happen

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
819 Posts
Probably valve seals.
Exhaust side.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Zero smoke on cold start - anyway guess we’ll see what’s up when it’s hot

·
Registered
253 Posts
Do a compression check to see if it's in spec. Retorque the head and check for oil leaks around it. White smoke indicates coolant getting in the cylinders.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts