Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well...my 87 (non-turbo) has been having problems...it's not cold start (my cold start is perfect), but warm starts :( it has problem keeping idle...i have to give some gas everytime then it'll get into self idle mode.....the thing that i don't understand is --- during trafic lights & normal stops, it doesn't stall, just warm start, it stalls if i don't give some gas....

i just charged all my S plugs, they r brand new. i also changed my AF as well...new oil + new OF...but 1 thing might be a factor is that --- when i pulled out my old plugs, i found some oil in most of them...is this the problem?

thx 4 ur help 1st...

peace

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
Run the ECU codes, sounds possibly like the CPS. Might also be timing, fuel filter, AFM, vaccum/boost leak or even the idle control valve.

Kruso

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have the same problem, idles rough as a mf but once I give it some throttle it's fine, also if the car stalls the next startup will be flawless, now I have another problem with my car, when it's damp outside but i'll start another thread with that problem...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kruso said:
Run the ECU codes, sounds possibly like the CPS. Might also be timing, fuel filter, AFM, vaccum/boost leak or even the idle control valve.

Kruso
i checked the timing, it's fine...FF? hm....i got to check that...idle control valve? u mean i set it too low?
ok...let me run the codes 1st...btw, what's cps stands for?

thx guys anyway...

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
You cant set the idle control valve, its controlled by the ECU, either its good or bad. CPS stands for Cam Position Sensor, which on older cars and even the NA supras is replaced by the Distributor.

Kruso

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Checked for engine error codes yet? Sounds like a heat soak related issue. On a healthy motor/electronics HS will barely effect the idle, but when something goes wrong HS will be very apparent. What RPM's does it idle at warm and after you shut it off and started it back up warm? Does it run bad if you shut the car down warm and restart it a few seconds later or do you have to wait a minute or two to restart to make it run poor?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bishop92T said:
Checked for engine error codes yet? Sounds like a heat soak related issue. On a healthy motor/electronics HS will barely effect the idle, but when something goes wrong HS will be very apparent. What RPM's does it idle at warm and after you shut it off and started it back up warm? Does it run bad if you shut the car down warm and restart it a few seconds later or do you have to wait a minute or two to restart to make it run poor?
it runs poor not matter what...till i give some gas...nope, i got to check the engine error codes...

but 1 thing i don't understand --- how come it doesn't stall when i stop for lights & stuff...just warm start...:(

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hm...the warm starts rpm is usually around 500...then after 10-20 sec, if it makes it, it'll go back to normal --- 850...if it doesn't, i'll have to give some gas...

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Sounds like heat soak in combination with another factor. Try leaving the hood open after it's warmed up for a few minutes and then starting the car.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Im starting to develop a similiar problem. Seems to be getting gradually more frequent. Starts and idles perfect when its cold. but when its warm, if i wait 5-10 minutes for a restart, it sputters at idle and throttle seems a bit sluggish. but if i hold the throttle for a little while, it clears up and idles fine until i do another restart.

·
Registered
125 Posts
try unplugging your cold start injector time switch when the car would be in a situation that when started would exhibit those rough idling characteristics. if that fixes the problem, check the resistance of your switch when the motor is at operating temp. the tsrm has the specs for the resistance of the switch, i don't remember them off the top of my head.

·
Blackzilla
1,579 Posts
twinturbozs said:
Im starting to develop a similiar problem. Seems to be getting gradually more frequent. Starts and idles perfect when its cold. but when its warm, if i wait 5-10 minutes for a restart, it sputters at idle and throttle seems a bit sluggish. but if i hold the throttle for a little while, it clears up and idles fine until i do another restart.
i got the same problem I should get it on video for example. mine only happens if the car has been sitting for 45mins to and hour and a half. If I start it up before that it is fine of it the car has been sitting longer than that it starts up fine too. Only code I get is the o2 sensor which I already replace, so I think it's time to rewire those 3 wires.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why did this thread die...I have been trying to find a solution to this for the last year....cold starts beautiful. After 15 min plus of being shut off the motor turns for a long time before catching and then idles poorly until I give it gas. Please help me!

·
Level 2 Rhythm Rogue
258 Posts
Have you tried unplugging the Cold Start Injector for a while? If it's dumping in too much fuel that could cause a rough situation.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...wao...glad to see my thread resurfaced...

well, i guess i started this thread, i should update you guys about the "Warm Start Problem."

Anyway, my "Warm Start Problem" truned out to be a BHG. About 4 months after i posted the thread, it's clear that there was heat soak. 1 day, my radiaor blowed up (yes, blowed up) as i was driving ~! The Temp just JUMPED from Normal to the top. It riped a hole that's a size of 2x as a quarter! I replaced the radiaor & signs of BHG were very clear...3 weeks after, i started my HG replacement job. It took me around 3 weeks (i did it bit by bit after work & i had never done it before.), i replaced TB, WP & HG. Now the car is running fine again...i m planning to put my turbo back on soon.

Anyways, i think the "Warm Start Problem" is a sign of BHG, check your water often. Take off your turbos if you can & do a HG job if you haven't done one. Good luck guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts