Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
SZ // S2 // Manual
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do you usually warm up your Supra? What do you wait for?
Are you brave enough to floor it out of your garage into your neighbour's tree? It do be lookin thicc.
Jokes aside, the people I have spoken to about this topic seem to all give varying answers, but all of them actually warm the car up.
What do you do?

·
Super Moderator
11,148 Posts
In this context, oil temps are more important than coolant temps. The oil should be up to operating temperature before you beat on it.
For an initial start to just drive it I don't worry about it, I just avoid boost and high revs until the oil is up to temp.

Reactions: Craig Bush

·
Game Over
1,280 Posts
Monitor oil temps if possible. I usually get it up to warm coolant temps before I even place the motor under normal loads.
Then ease into the beating when it's time to open her up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I usually wait till my water temp is up to above 150f before I start driving and wait till I get up to operating temps 200f before I get on it or do any high revs.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
i guess i should have been more specific. i start driving when the temp gauge starts moving but i dont beat on it until its been at operating (coolant temp) for a few min.
oil temp is more important but i'm going off all factory instrumentation.

·
Registered
SZ // S2 // Manual
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I usually wait for the idle RPM to drop to 1100 or so as it starts at around 2000. This takes like 4 or so minutes. The coolant temp barely starts to move up around this time. However, by the time I drive out of my house (about 15 seconds), the coolant hits operating temps in those few seconds. Kinda odd.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,875 Posts
I agree with Wreckless's post. In my NA with totally stock motor, I start the car, and go. I'm gentle with it until the water temp gauge reads about 1/3 of normal.

In my TT, which has a rebuilt engine, let the oil warm up for a minute or 2 (depending on air temperature) at idle. I keep the revs down so that the oil pressure stays below 85psi until the oil temperature reaches 140* F. Then I send it (drive it like you stole it).

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I start it, then back it out of the driveway and go. I have the choice of going uphill or down, I always choose down and take it easy for a while, at least until the trans temp reaches 100 deg, which in cold weather takes a while. The water temp reaches normal in the first mile.

Idling just wastes gas and warms the car up slower than driving it does.

Al

·
Premium Member
1993 Supra 3.4 Stroked GTE | Jack's Stage 3 V160
137 Posts
I mean it's fine to drive immediately, just like others have said I would stay out of boost and not beat on it until it's up to operating temp.

·
Administrator
9,384 Posts
Start and go, low rpm cruise until my oil temp comes up a little then I proceed to unleash even more low rpm grandma driving onto the motor. If it hits boost I squeal like a little girl and start panting.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wait until the temp gauge starts to move and keep the RPMs low until. Always made this a habit for all our vehicles.

·
Registered
Rejoined
135 Posts
I start the car, idle for a few minutes, then drive less than 2k rpm till oil temp 80 degrees C, 3k rpm till oil temp 90 degrees C, then able to boost without worry. So far, so good...

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I usually wait for the idle RPM to drop to 1100 or so as it starts at around 2000. This takes like 4 or so minutes. The coolant temp barely starts to move up around this time. However, by the time I drive out of my house (about 15 seconds), the coolant hits operating temps in those few seconds. Kinda odd.
Did anyone else happen to catch this? This behavior seems rather strange to me... Pretty sure all the Supras I've ever had would only idle at maybe 1500 for a minute, then start dropping down gradually a couple hundred rpm at a time, until it was properly warmed up. The speed of your coolant temp gauge moving up has me wondering a bit. If I didn't know any better, I'd think that it might be a good idea to check your fluid levels. :)

If it hits boost I squeal like a little girl and start panting.
I do this anyway. Can't help myself man! :p

As for me, I live in Wyoming, where it's so cold that spit goes 'tink' when it hits the ground. Can't really drive with frosted over windows, sooo... I let mine warm up enough for the windows to clear. Any other time of year I just wait until the temp needle touches the lowest mark on whatever car I'm in and take it easy from there until it's up to temp.

Also, in a stock situation, would coolant temp and oil temp not be fairly close, considering the oil filter sandwich housing?

Reactions: Vorukanu

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Supra
9 Posts
I'm e85 on pro efi and I'll start it and let it idle for at least a few mins/until temp starts to move and won't get on it at all until oil is up to operating temp

·
Boost Junkie
12,733 Posts
I take it easy until the engine oil gets to operating temperatures. I'm usually at 32-34psi oil pressure at idle depending on the outside temperature.

Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts