Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Ex-MKIV TT OWNER
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
;) No, not really. It just so happens that my engine blew the day I installed the HKS SSBOV:(
Toyota has quoted me like $1800 for labor and a brand new short block is around $2150.
What sort of $$ can I expect to get for my old block???
Damn it, this sucks! Oh well, atleast it will be like having a new car...right?:(
Also, I would like to think this will increase the value of my car???

·
Ex-MKIV TT OWNER
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who ever had the car before must have beat the shit out of it???There were 62K miles on the car when I bought it in March.
I had been looking for a MKIV for months when I stumbled upon an ad online for a 94 TT 6spd w/62k miles, HKS intake, exhaust, Fluydine Radiator & new tires for only $18,000. I knew the car wouldn't last at that price and I had money in hand so I ended up taking a hell of a road trip through 3 states that night. I test drove the car once and it felt strong. Even though I have nothing to compare it to. I had never driven a Supra before.
It had decent millage and felt strong, so I bought it. I was hoping I was getting one hell of a deal:( guess not.

To answer your question...
how did you blow your engine?
I have no idea.

·
We has your money!
576 Posts
df

I would buy your old block depending on the damage..email me..I might even give you a 6 speed tranny for it.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
An HSK SS BOV will not blow your engine :rolleyes:

This is what happens when you try and modify a car without any idea what you are doing :rolleyes:

Get the car back from Toyota, talk to some people who know a thing or two and do a compression test yourself before shelling aout $$ for an engine that you might not need.

You can beat the shit out of these engines all day every day and they will run fine, as long as they are in a decent state of tune.

·
Ex-MKIV TT OWNER
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Grant, please read my original post. Only this time slower.
:rolleyes:
Finished yet? No....Ok, I'll wait a little longer.
I wasn't serious about the SSBOV blowing the engine. Notice the title of this thread:
Warning!!!!HKS SSBOV Will Destroy Your Engine
;) No, not really. It just so happens that my engine blew the day I installed the HKS SSBOV.
:doh: :doh:
It was just ironic this all happened on the same day.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Eh sorry.

How did it blow? Are you sure its blown? What are the compression #s?

As I said in my original post, its hard to blow these motors unless you've been running lean or too much boost for a while.

·
Ex-MKIV TT OWNER
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Grant: No problem...:cool:
The day my car died, I had it towed to a local garage. They said it was something internal(engine) and that they wouldn't even attempt to fix it.
--Brown anti-freeze was all over the road where I broke down.
So, it was off to Toyota...again, and there it sits to this day.
I'm begining to think I am living beyond my means by having this car. I sure can't afford the 4 or 5k $$ to fix it, at the moment.
I even tried to take out a loan to get my car fixed and got denied. It's not that I have bad credit, it's actually good. It's just that I guess I have a high debt/income ratio.
Any suggestions fellows?????? Other than, hey dip-shit, get rid of the car. You can't afford it.
I can definately afford another loan/credit card payment. But, I keep getting denied??:dunce:

B

·
0 Posts
Keep in mind the coolant in our cars is supposed to be red/brown...........

MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE CAR TO A TRUSTWORTHY MECHANIC if you know nothing about cars. You have to do something REAL stupid to blow up a 2JZ that is almost stock.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Heh, its supposed to be red. Its only brown if you don't change it enough.

Were you driving it for a while when it overheated? If so, that could warp the head. But a simple coolant leak would not harm anything.

As future reference, don't drive cars without coolant :)

·
Ex-MKIV TT OWNER
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Toyota hasn't given me the official diagnosis, yet. What they are telling me is the worst case scenario, I guess. Keep in mind, this is the second garage that has told me the problem is in the engine. So, unless there is a big consperiousy to screw me over, I'm assuming it's the engine.
Like I said in my original post, I don't know what the owner before me did to the car. Hell, for all I know he was running a T-78 w/ a 200 shot on the stock fuel system for the past 40,000 miles and put everything back to stock before selling it??
For what I paid for this car I thought I couldn't go wrong. It had decent mileage and ran strong.

·
Ex-MKIV TT OWNER
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"Heh, its supposed to be red. Its only brown if you don't change it enough.

Were you driving it for a while when it overheated? If so, that could warp the head. But a simple coolant leak would not harm anything.

As future reference, don't drive cars without coolant "

*******Here's something I left out. Toyota did a complete coolant "flush" the day before it broke down:confused: So I know it had coolant.

CHRIST, you're telling me I could have to replace the head as well???:mad: :mad:*********

B

·
0 Posts
If toyota did a coolant flush the day before and there was coolant on the ground the next day and the car wouldnt run I think I'd be all over that toyota dealership about how they fucked up the car.

You obviously dont know very much about cars/engines so I dont think you'll be able to make a very good arguement with the dealership. Find someone in your area who knows cars and who you trust before you give anyone money to work on the car.

·
Ex-MKIV TT OWNER
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just talked to CJ, the guy that used to own Denko Performance here in PA. He's done a lot of work on Supras and built me one hell of a fast Talon TSI about a year ago. He's meeting me at Toyota tomorrow to look at the car. Hopefully he'll be able to shed some light on my situation.

T

·
0 Posts
Re: df

i'd be interested in that transmission.

i have a short block that i would be willing to trade it for.

if you give me an email, i will email you pictures about it, let me know sonik.

sonik said:
I would buy your old block depending on the damage..email me..I might even give you a 6 speed tranny for it.

·
I'm ill, not sick
379 Posts
Sounds to me like that Toyota dealership simply doesn't feel like dealing with your problem . You have to really neglect the tt engine to "blow" it, whatever that means. Any reliable experienced toyota tech should be able to give you more information than just that the engine is "blown". Ask them what their definition of "blown" is - thrown rod, cracked block, burned pistion, broken rings, etc.
Personally, that's a flag to go somewhere else in my book. I would take the effort to have another Toyota dealer (reputable for working on MKIV TT's) diagnose it. Just saying the engine is "blown" with out giving you some specifics is just like saying " give us money, we fix car". Take it somewhere else.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts