Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I start to hear a little screech on start up on my 94 NA a couple of weeks ago. I had also noticed a leak under the power steering pump so I assumed this screech was related to that. I kept my eye on the PS fluid level and continued to drive the car. Well last Friday I'm crusing on a nice back road and when I accelerate into a corner I hear the same screech but louder. The next thing I know, the power steering goes out ( it was a bitch to turn the wheel and get through the corner). A few seconds later I see the water temp guage shoot up so I immediately pull over and shut off the car. When I opened the hood I couldn't believe what I saw. The fucking dampened crank pulley was laying down by the radiator resting on that black plasitc piece underneath the engine. The drive belt was completely off and had broken 3 of the plastic blades off the cooling fan.
All along the screeching noise problem was really the drive belt slipping because the rubber inside the pulley had gone away over time. I ve never had any thing happen like this before but after doing a search on SF, this seems to be fairly common with our cars after about 60K. Mine has 180K so I guess I got my moneys worth out of it. Anyway I had to wait for a flatbed for 3 hours and its going to cost me some money too so I though I would post a warning to all of you who are hearing any screeching noises lately.

·
Registered
157 Posts
What a coincidence, same thing happend to me (not quite as bad though) at ~180k. My power steering started dieing around turns and a few warning lights would come on, the belt would screech occationally, but luckily I found out what it was before something like that happend to me.
Since I was replacing it I went ahead and upgraded to the Boostlogic Crank Pulley. I must say after replacing it, comparing before and after the new pulley (even before I noticed it going bad) the motor just seems much more solid...

Good luck man, hope nothing serious was damaged.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Geddy Lee said:
I start to hear a little screech on start up on my 94 NA a couple of weeks ago. I had also noticed a leak under the power steering pump so I assumed this screech was related to that. I kept my eye on the PS fluid level and continued to drive the car. Well last Friday I'm crusing on a nice back road and when I accelerate into a corner I hear the same screech but louder. The next thing I know, the power steering goes out ( it was a bitch to turn the wheel and get through the corner). A few seconds later I see the water temp guage shoot up so I immediately pull over and shut off the car. When I opened the hood I couldn't believe what I saw. The fucking dampened crank pulley was laying down by the radiator resting on that black plasitc piece underneath the engine. The drive belt was completely off and had broken 3 of the plastic blades off the cooling fan.
All along the screeching noise problem was really the drive belt slipping because the rubber inside the pulley had gone away over time. I ve never had any thing happen like this before but after doing a search on SF, this seems to be fairly common with our cars after about 60K. Mine has 180K so I guess I got my moneys worth out of it. Anyway I had to wait for a flatbed for 3 hours and its going to cost me some money too so I though I would post a warning to all of you who are hearing any screeching noises lately.

wait whats a common problem...the power steering going bad or what?? i assume your talkin about crank pulleys going bad and breaking off...if thats the case then i will make sure i dont hold off on buying and installing a new crank pulley...i did a service on my car and changed all the belts and stuff but i think im gonna do it again soon with a brand new crank pulley..mine didnt seem bad when i changed all the belts, but after hearing this story i think im gonna rush the next service and this time ill put in a brand new pulley...

ok so what actually broke?? was it due to an old bad belt or just the crank pulley being so old??

Ant

·
Registered
157 Posts
IcedSuPrA said:
wait whats a common problem...the power steering going bad or what?? i assume your talkin about crank pulleys going bad and breaking off...if thats the case then i will make sure i dont hold off on buying and installing a new crank pulley...i did a service on my car and changed all the belts and stuff but i think im gonna do it again soon with a brand new crank pulley..mine didnt seem bad when i changed all the belts, but after hearing this story i think im gonna rush the next service and this time ill put in a brand new pulley...

ok so what actually broke?? was it due to an old bad belt or just the crank pulley being so old??

Ant

The crank pulley has a ... rubber ring if you will... that breaks down over time apparently. I'm going to plug boostlogic's crank pulley for this issue as their billet crank pulley doesn't use the same type of rubber dampner that the stock unit does.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
i SHATTERED 2 stock dampers in about 6 months, finally changed it up to the TITAN ati unit

·
Damn Spaniards
2,328 Posts
IcedSuPrA said:
The rubber damper in the crank pully failed. The pully essentially splits in two. When that happend all the drive belts fell off and he lost power steering, the alternator, water pump (this is why it got hot), and the AC.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the car is fixed. Toyota guy told me its a good thing I shut the car off right away , could have done some engine damage or the high heat ( with no water pump running ) could have warped the head. He also said sometimes when this happens the outer dampening pulley ring flies up into the radiator and causes major damage to it.
Anyway, new cooling fan, new dampening pulley, new tensionors, new drive belt
about $1000.00 installed.

·
Banned
397 Posts
How loud a screeching? I have a slight screeching on startup too, more like a chirping every now and then. I assume it is a pulley, but never thought it could be the crank pulley. Is there anyway other than physically examine it I can be sure if its the crank pulley and not another pulley?

·
Supraless member
317 Posts
I have the same problem also, the belt is pretty loud for about 5 minutes when the engine is cold. As the nearest Toyota dealer is about 10 minutes away, I could never manage to make them hear it^^... They said that the power steering pump is pretty weak on Supras, especially if the front tires are wider than stock, and that the noise would be it. The car has around 45k, NA, and runs on 235/18 front tires.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
just to throw something else in for the guys searching for "screeching". A bad fan clutch can also cause screeching. Check for a wobbly fan.. they screech when they're about to go and when they do they just seize (fan spins @ water pump speed) It makes the car sound like a semi on acceleration and causes a tornado under the hood lol... but yeah that's another thing to look for if you're getting screeching and your crank pulley checks out.

·
Banned
397 Posts
Mine is just a slight chirping, not at all like a PS-type screeching noise. It goes away once the car has been driven a little hard but then comes back at idle sometimes. I notice it most when I stop at a gas station to fill up.

G

·
yup i snapped mine the same way. the screeching is very loud. you will hear it most right after you start the car and start turning the wheel is will screech very loud while the wheels are turning or when you turn on the ac but mostly when using the power steering.

i bought my ati crank pully from summit raicng for about 370 bux.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294839044+400250+4294907680+115&autoview=sku

or the fluidampner for 350
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...925232+4294839044+4294907680+115&autoview=sku

·
Registered
382 Posts
i am having the same issue. I am getting a chirp chirp at idle. When I rev it and it goes back down, the chirp begins. However after a couple of second, it would be quiet. Sometimes at ilde it doesn't chirp. Other time it chirp. I'm wondering if its the tensioner or the belt or could it be the crank pully. I notice a little leak out of the power steering hose and i'm thinking its dripping onto the PS or something. Not sure. Its not dripping that much, a drop or two. Well if you can let me know, i would appreciate it. thanks.

·
Supraless member
317 Posts
I changed my Supra, got another one with 60k and it doesn't chirp as much as the other one...BUT
I noticed that both of my Supras were doing this only on rainy or summer wet days, cold engine, and it always disappears once the engine had warmed up. My guess is that some kind of surface rust (like brake rotors rust) shows up quickly somewhere where there is metal friction and disappears once there is some movement again.

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
just to throw in a little worthless advice...change your PS fluid every couple of years...it really does go overlooked and not that it may help much but it doesnt hurt. You should see some of the PS fluid I have drained out of chevy trucks with over 150k miles on them...literally chunks coming out and its the same for almost every car out there.

Also as for some of the noises, Everyone could have a different problem on here so just throwing out some advice. Surface rust can sometimes build on pulleys to cause the noise. There are also "quiet" serp belts made that wont chirp...i think they are called gatorbelts or something. The last thing is that I have seen belt tensoners cause those kind of problems. There are many things that it could be and when you arent 100% positive start with the stuff that wont set you back much.

·
Car guy
803 Posts
just to throw in a little worthless advice...change your PS fluid every couple of years...it really does go overlooked and not that it may help much but it doesnt hurt. You should see some of the PS fluid I have drained out of chevy trucks with over 150k miles on them...literally chunks coming out and its the same for almost every car out there.

Also as for some of the noises, Everyone could have a different problem on here so just throwing out some advice. Surface rust can sometimes build on pulleys to cause the noise. There are also "quiet" serp belts made that wont chirp...i think they are called gatorbelts or something. The last thing is that I have seen belt tensoners cause those kind of problems. There are many things that it could be and when you arent 100% positive start with the stuff that wont set you back much.
Yes people you need to check your tensioners. If they are chirping at idle it might be a bad bearing.

·
I pretend to be fast
1,030 Posts
Almost the same thing happened to me, but the ps never acted up. The stock c/p separated from the rubber at about 85k. Sound Performance set me up with the Titan crank pully and all is good! It sure did suck getting stranded though at 2am on the side of the highway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts