Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked a question i have no clue on since i neve did this so ill ask here since you guys might know .A guy has a new turbo with a split exhaust housing and he wants to use a cast manifold the problem is the cast is undivided what if any problems will he see from this set up.

thanks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
None, he just won't see any of the advantages that a divided manifold can provide.

He might want to hone the divider though if he's never going to run it on a divided manifold.

·
Defender of the Universe
463 Posts
i would imagine that the "wall" in the middle of the turbo flange would disrupt flow a tiny bit with an undivided housing, but I have no idea for sure, it would just seem that way to me. i couldnt imagine it causing many problems though

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Divided houseings.

I recently read a book about turbo charging. This also is my first post giving advise after years of reading and learning. To my knowledge turbos with divided housings are supperior to undivided housings. Reason being is that a divided house simply distributes air more evenly across the exhaust impeler wheel. It does this by "splitting" the air in two and directing its flow evenly over the "fan" or "blades", creating a more efficient turbo. Now on to the question. Would a non divided mani that i assume bolts up properly with a divided houseing turbo work? Yes, to the best of my knowledge. But the question is would a non divided mani have air turbulence and force more air into one side of the divided houseing turbo than the other. Probably because it is not designed for a divided housing turbo. But the heart of the matter is whether this uneven air distribution to the turbo is essentially going to cause harm, either by creating shaft play in the turbo or creating a horribly unefficient turbo. My guess is that it will work fine, and you will never know the difference. But inheirentely a manifold created for a divided house turbo will work more efficiently. Sorry had to show some knowledge while i could.

Daniel Fincannon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts