Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this prbly a repeat question, but what the hell is it???Do you guys have a link to hte write-up, or could give me a write-up. I am pretty damn sure I haven't done it, since I bought my car 100% stock.Any help would be appreciated.
Basil

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I've done thsi to my car when it was BPU and I did it on David's car, world of difference :)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmmm. Do you need a boost controller for this mod????or could you even do it with the pulled waste gate hose mod?
Basil

T

·
0 Posts
Just pull the wastegate hose. I ran like that for over a year on both of my cars. Sooooo much better than all the little B.S. stock turbo mods. If by some miracle you do manage to blow it there's your excuse to get a real turbo. ;)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL thanx Darien! But he's saying that you can do this mod in True twin mode. Yet everybody who has done it says they feel the world of difference. You wouldn't know anything about this mod would you darien???
Basil

T

·
0 Posts
Your telling me you cant tie up the actuators and pull the hose between turbo #1 and the W/G actuator?? One has nothing to do with the other. That's how I ran "true twin with a pulled hose". Dyno'd mid-400's with TQ over 450. Very minimal lag as well. The pulled hose helped with the additional lag caused by the true twin mod. Trust me in 8 years of messing with Supras I've learned a thing or 2.. :)

Ask Jose, Tony, or Ryan how my 97 felt with the stock twins. I pulled "hard" on every stock twin car that went up against me.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So your telling me I already have this modd? but in another form? I already have the car in true twin mode, and have the waste gate hose pulled.So I basically have this modd in another form darien? I'm not questioning your knowledge, I am asking your advice, because of your knowledge. You would be a good source of knowlegde since you've been at it quite a bit longer than me.
Basil

T

·
0 Posts
That hose is connected to the W/G actuator. When pulled the W/G actuator is disconnected there for "no W/G" so the turbos run at their "max" boost.

That's the max on the turbos. What you need now is + mods. No more "free" power gains after that. Time to put up some $$$. "LOL"

T

·
0 Posts
I've spent way too much time messing with Supra's that's why I'm taking the Summer off. :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The wastegate spring mod and pulling the hose are two different things. I would recommend running the boost controller as well as the wastegate spring mod and you will see better numbers. The wastegate springmod just allows you to hold whatever boost you are running until redline. The numbers and power gains speak for themselves.

T

·
0 Posts
So keeping the wastegate closed and keeping the wastegate closed are 2 separate things? ;)

Regardless of how you do it your accomplishing the exact same thing short of allowing it to open at red line which with a stock engine and turbo's you should actually let off anyway. I have my own dyno charts where you can see all of the HP curves. Pulled hose, TTC on my BPU+++ 6spd was the cleanest looking run and held the most consistent HP. Of course the best mod is to drop the silly twins and put in a single. LOL

8 years under the hood boys........

Darin W.
hardpipes.com

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL!!! HOW TRUE IT IS!
drop the silly twins, SINGLES ARE FOR KIDS!! I know now whom to go to as I always have time and time again for advice. The original supras of houston.
Basil A.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Turbo-D said:
So keeping the wastegate closed and keeping the wastegate closed are 2 separate things? ;)

Regardless of how you do it your accomplishing the exact same thing short of allowing it to open at red line which with a stock engine and turbo's you should actually let off anyway. I have my own dyno charts where you can see all of the HP curves. Pulled hose, TTC on my BPU+++ 6spd was the cleanest looking run and held the most consistent HP. Of course the best mod is to drop the silly twins and put in a single. LOL

8 years under the hood boys........

Darin W.
hardpipes.com
Darin, not saying you don't know the car well, in fact not saying I know it well. You more than likely know infinately more than me about the 2jz; however, I still have to disagree with you a bit. The pulled hose allows the stock twins to run at full boost, while all the spring mod is doing is keeping the actuator arm from opening too soon (generally due to premature failure). It has nothing to do with how much boost you can run, but how well it holds boost. I ran with a pulled hose during bpu prior to getting the evc5, and boost would fall by redline, with the mod boost would hold better and was much more 'predictable'. Power gains were noticeable as well. :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
guys ive told another member about this already, if you are holding your preset boost all the way to redline, then you dont need the spring mod. spring mods are for ppl with problems holding boost!!!! if you have a ebc and are loosing boost when reaching redline, try using a manual boost controller first, thats probably the most consistant form of boost control out there.

pulled hoses just lets your twins run free to their maximum boost they can achieve. if you are going the pulled hoses route, then no need for the spring mod either.

another thought just came to mind about the spring mod, it may possibly speed up spool time, however its just a thought, can someone verify this?

T

·
0 Posts
Try the pressure tank bypass while running in sequential... ;)

Your peak hp with the twins is at 5K-5,5K then it falls off regardless.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts