Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Flame Thrower
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about drilling and tapping a fitting on my compressor housing to feed boost to my wastegate. My question is where is the best place to put the fitting? Ive seen fittings placed at both the small and large ends of the compressor cone. Which end has a more "true reading"? There appears to be a flat, round spot at the beginning of the cone which is where I was gonna put it. Or should I put it somewhere else? I just wanna be certain before drilling. FYI: I have a Garrett T04E (.70 A/R) and a Garrett T04B/60-1 (.60 A/R). More than likely using the T04E

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
There should be a fitting there already. I ran braided lines with an fittings and used a "F" type fitting coming out the turbo so my one line could go to the boost controller and the other to the wastegate. I can take pics l8r and post em if you'd like.

Mike

·
Flame Thrower
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sure, that'd be nice. this way I wont have to tee off that line for the boost controller. less chance for leaks. just post em when you get a chance

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
According to Pascal's Law.. it doesn't matter.

Pascal's law states that pressure is equal in all areas and directions withing an enclosed body. Put it on hte small end or the big end.. it doesn't matter. I have mine at the small end, and have seen others on the big end.

·
Flame Thrower
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that may be true but 10psi in an aluminum can is less air than 10psi in a 5 gallon bucket! even though its still 10PSI there is a different amount of air under the same pressure! More air needs more fuel to burn properly. which is why at 20psi, a GT47-88 turbo makes more power than a T04B or even a T61! see what I mean!?!?! :ugh2: :1poke:

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
404- Right. That is why I didn't mention air flow anywhere.

The original poster is after where to put boost source for a boost controler. Boost controllers are not concerned with total airflow. This isn't an AFM we're talking about here.

·
Flame Thrower
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what Im saying is that if u take a 12oz can with 10psi of air in it and empty that can's pressure in a 1 gallon jug, it wont still be 10psi because of the bigger space required to create the same pressure! does that principle here, or am I over thinking the situation??

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just tap a 1/8 npt into your elbow or IC piping that connects right to the turbo. easier and works the same. :)

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
Supra_404 said:
what Im saying is that if u take a 12oz can with 10psi of air in it and empty that can's pressure in a 1 gallon jug, it wont still be 10psi because of the bigger space required to create the same pressure! does that principle here, or am I over thinking the situation??

Dude... the oringal post has NOTHING to do with air flow. YOU (yes YOU) are wanting to know where to tap your compressor housing in order to get a pre-throttle body boost source. I answered that with data that's be proven time and time again.

You want to make an issue out of airflow now?? I'm confused. Did you make your post wanting to get into a disucssion about airflow in a system? Or are you really wanting a place to tap the compressor housing??

If you take a 12oz can with 10psi of air, there would be WAY more air *volume* in the 5 gallon bucket with zero pressure above atmospher. In fact, if you relased the air volume of a 12oz can with 10psi of pressure into an enclosed 5 gallon pail, I don't think you'd see much over half a pound of pressure increase. There is such a huge difference in volume (640oz vs 12oz) it wouldn't be a drop in the bucket.

FYI, the t04b 60-1 is larger than the t04e. The B will flow antoher 150hp on top of an E.

·
Flame Thrower
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, I just wanted to make sure not argue! I believe you! I'm not sure why but my "T04B" appears to be smaller than the "T04E", unless it is not a T04B! I'll post pics of both of the turbos so that you can see. My "T04B" has a .60A/R, 3" inlet and 2"outlet on the compressor side while the "T04E" has a .70A/R, 4" inlet and 2.5" outlet on it! I'll put those up tonite so that you can see! Thank you for your help so far, I didnt mean to get u upset

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
Supra_404 said:
Sorry, I just wanted to make sure not argue! I believe you! I'm not sure why but my "T04B" appears to be smaller than the "T04E", unless it is not a T04B! I'll post pics of both of the turbos so that you can see. My "T04B" has a .60A/R, 3" inlet and 2"outlet on the compressor side while the "T04E" has a .70A/R, 4" inlet and 2.5" outlet on it! I'll put those up tonite so that you can see! Thank you for your help so far, I didnt mean to get u upset
It's cool. I didn't understand why you posted a question regarding a boost source, and went into airlflow characteristics.

The cover has nothing to do with compressor size. You need to remove the compressor cover, and measure the cross section of the compressor wheel to find out exactly what it is. A t04b 62-1 hifi has a compressor inlet of 2.75" and an outlet of 2", yet will flow 150hp or so more than the biggest t04e.

·
Flame Thrower
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
aljordan said:
It's cool. I didn't understand why you posted a question regarding a boost source, and went into airlflow characteristics.

The cover has nothing to do with compressor size. You need to remove the compressor cover, and measure the cross section of the compressor wheel to find out exactly what it is. A t04b 62-1 hifi has a compressor inlet of 2.75" and an outlet of 2", yet will flow 150hp or so more than the biggest t04e.
Hmmmm, my T-04b is a 60-1 and has a compressor inlet of 2.75 and a outlet of 2, but my T04e has an inlet of 2.75 and an outlet of 2.5!! The actual compressor housing itself is about the size of a T61 or so and should do me fine until I upgrade my tranny

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
Supra_404 said:
that may be true but 10psi in an aluminum can is less air than 10psi in a 5 gallon bucket! even though its still 10PSI there is a different amount of air under the same pressure! More air needs more fuel to burn properly. which is why at 20psi, a GT47-88 turbo makes more power than a T04B or even a T61! see what I mean!?!?! :ugh2: :1poke:

it doesnt matter, no matter where he puts the fittings, they are going to be the same size. so that isnt an issue. but i know what you mean

·
Flame Thrower
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
aljordan,
Im not positive if the t04b that I have is a 60-1, that is what I was told! I took the covers off and measured the wheels and they seem to be the same size. This is why I thought the bigger one would be better, even though this is all temporary. Here are some pics that I took:

I know that the wheel looks smaller but they are actually the same size. Which to you think will be better for the time being. I plan on going larger once I get my tranny upgrade so this is only to get me like 350-375rwhp. Let me know. . .

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
You're going to have to get a set of calipers and measure it. Measure the inducer and exducer of both wheels. Once you have that, you can match the measurements up to what wheel it is. Then you can find out what flows the most, and then you can install that one. :)

There's no easy way around it.. just gotta measure it.

ALso measure the turine inlet bolt holes. One could be a t3 footprint, and the other a t4. Just measure center to center on the holes. That'll be good enough.

·
Flame Thrower
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They both have T4 inlets on the turbines

1 - 18 of 18 Posts