Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mr. 2JZUL8R
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have searched high and low using google and the google through SF saerch function and cant get ANY videos that show a high HP Supra with wastegate rerouted back into the exhuast.

i got a big single going on my 2j in a few weeks and honestly am not a big fan of the loud open scream. but would like to hear the other "option" of rerouting.

and vids or sound clips much appreciated. thanx guys :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ive run open wastegate since I went single and will never have it any other way. Everything is all civilized unless your at full boost. I love the sound and EVERYONE knows your comin to get'em when they hear that. Most of the guys I pull up on cant even hear their own cars at WOT when I go by. One of my buddies calls it the devil gate because of the crazy rawness of the noise. Plus some of the "locals" at the track think I run nitrous because they cant understand any other way a car can be so quiet on the burnout and so loud coming out of the hole. I'd give it a try If I were you. You can plumb it back in any time.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
I'll get one for you in a few.. I'm just posting now to subscribe in case I can't find it right away and forget.

·
Mr. 2JZUL8R
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
dude, shoot me a PM with your email... my friend had the vid online but he took it down, I'll email it to you.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
what jason said is true though... you can leave it open and then plumb it back anytime if you want to. I opted to have mine to the atmosphere when I went single and I kind of liked it for a bit but it gets old real quick. There's nothing like the spooling whine of the turbo and it gets drowned out completely with the demon roar of the open wastegate.

my W/G hose split due to the heat off once some time back and I was regulating boost with the throttle for a few miles and I couldn't get over how damn amazing the turbo sounded. I'm having mine plumbed back into the exhaust within the next couple of weeks :D

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts

·
1st Lieutenant Team BEYAW
1,915 Posts
for me, there is nothing like the sound of a supra with an open gate! i think that is about the most aggressive sound a car can make. if your opponent hears it, they know your coming!

·
Banned
752 Posts
I'm going with a reroute this time. I had an open dump on my MR2 Turbo, and liked the dual personality aspect it gave the car. However, I have the Veilside Ti on my Supra , and with the 4" mid pipe and down pipe, the car is going to be loud enough without adding the open dump to it.

·
Fast Enough, Never Is.
920 Posts
I am running open dump and I wouldn't have it any other way. I haven't heard to many cars with rerouted so I am helpless there. I just like it loud.

·
Old School
4,091 Posts
^ I've always heard (and read) that the turbulent re-entry gas disturbs flow, and that open wastegates regulate a bit better (probably not noticeable in real life).

And, how could it help spool? The wastegate isn't open until the turbos well spun-up anyways.

Maybe I've heard wrong. I'm always ready to learn something new.

·
Old School
4,091 Posts
An additional advantage to an open WG is the increase in total exhaust area provided by the separate discharge pipe off the gate.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've heard that there isn't really any "major" advantage to having a dumped WG.. Larry at SP has said that he doesn't like using a dumped WG because you can't hear if the engine is knocking under WOT. I have a dumped wastegate and love it, but to be comepletely honest I would rather hear my motor knocking ,and back off than I would have the raw exhaust sound from the wastegate. In fact I think all of the SP turbo kits have a re-routed WG.?

·
Registered
1994 Supra TT 6spd
79 Posts
Mine is currently open. When i make my new 4" DP, I am going to reroute it back in. Although it does sound wicked with the dump, it totally washes out the sound of the ball bearing turbo, which is music to my ears.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts