Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all the guys running gt47's on the street, i was wondering what you guys are using for wastegates? I had originally planned to use twin tial 44mm's, but im trying to cut down on some of the cost of my build and was wondering if I could get away with running twin 38mm gates?

Id like to try and limit myself to 750-800whp on the streets, and aim for 1000whp at the track. The car will mostly only see track duty, but i would still like to take it out on sunday nights to play on the streets.

Thanks
Ryan

·
Banned
6,638 Posts
twin 44's, is what would be the best setup.

you can use a single 60mm, not sure how low you can get it to hold.

·
Motec - Race Smart
1,086 Posts
As Sean said, twin 44s is the way to go. You will have almost perfect boost control with that setup. A single 60mm wastegate, as long as it's mounted properly on the manifold, will work pretty well also. It's a close 2nd to the twin 44 setup.

Just for reference, when I ran the gt47-88 I was able to hold 16 psi all the way to redline at my boost control's minimum setting, and hold about 49 psi at maximum. I had twin 44mm tial wastegates, with one mounted directly on the exhaust housing.

-Darin

·
Registered
457 Posts
As Sean said, twin 44s is the way to go. You will have almost perfect boost control with that setup. A single 60mm wastegate, as long as it's mounted properly on the manifold, will work pretty well also. It's a close 2nd to the twin 44 setup.

Just for reference, when I ran the gt47-88 I was able to hold 16 psi all the way to redline at my boost control's minimum setting, and hold about 49 psi at maximum. I had twin 44mm tial wastegates, with one mounted directly on the exhaust housing.

-Darin
what springs did you run in each wastegate to get it to run 16-49psi?

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you are aiming for a 1000hp then i would go with the gt4780. It will get you the 1000hp and be a little easyer to control. As everyone said go with twin 44s.

·
Banned
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

-Darin

So you had one welded directly on the turbine housing, and the other welded into the collector of the manifold?

Im not sure im a big fan of cutting a hole in my turbine housing for the wastegate. Do you think it would work as well with both gates coming off the collector? One on the front side, one on the back side if i can manage.

I am not looking to run a smaller turbo (47-80) as i already have the 47-88. I want something that will have plenty left in it when i have a built engine that will be able to hold more then 1000+ whp.

Ryan

·
Registered
721 Posts
Has anyone ran twin 44mm wastegates on a boost logic manifold? and will it fit?

·
Motec - Race Smart
1,086 Posts
what springs did you run in each wastegate to get it to run 16-49psi?
Both gates had a 1.1 bar spring combo in them, so about 16 psi.

It will work well with both gates coming off the collector but it works even better coming off the housing. I rely on my boost control a lot so it's important to me to have it work as efficient as possible. If I have time I will post a log file showing how well my boost control works...

-Darin

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
For all the guys running gt47's on the street, i was wondering what you guys are using for wastegates? I had originally planned to use twin tial 44mm's, but im trying to cut down on some of the cost of my build and was wondering if I could get away with running twin 38mm gates?

Id like to try and limit myself to 750-800whp on the streets, and aim for 1000whp at the track. The car will mostly only see track duty, but i would still like to take it out on sunday nights to play on the streets.

Thanks
Ryan
We have no problem running 16psi on our T6 header with the Tial 60mm wastegate.

If you are looking to make 800rwhp on low boost and 1000rwhp on high boost I would reccomend a smaller turbo.. A GT45R would suit your needs well and still be capable of making over 1000rwhp.

·
Banned
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I definitly understand that a smaller turbo is easier to control, and that for my needs RIGHT NOW it would suit better. Like i mentioned earlier, i have plans to push this turbo further in the future after the engine is built. I wanted something that i knew would have room for me to grow into.

Darin - Do you happen to have any pics of how you have the gate on the turbine housing? I think i have the room to do it this way, im just worried that if i ever want to sell this turbo later on, someone might be detered by the fact that ive machined a big hole in it and mounted a wastegate to it.

Thanks
Ryan

1,442 Posts
I'll give Darin a hand, here is a pic of his old setup. I almost went this route myself. I know it works, but cutting a hole in my exhaust housing wasn't to appealing.

·
6 speed
1,318 Posts
We have no problem running 16psi on our T6 header with the Tial 60mm wastegate.

If you are looking to make 800rwhp on low boost and 1000rwhp on high boost I would reccomend a smaller turbo.. A GT45R would suit your needs well and still be capable of making over 1000rwhp.
what turbo is that with? awhile ago i asked about your T6 race header with a gt47 with a tial 60 and one of the guys from boostlogic said it would hold 18-19 and may creep. did you guys redesign the header? i might go with one of you kits if it is possible..

1,442 Posts
Pic no workie!
Huh, apparantly Darin didn't want my help. Anyway, it was just a pipe with the Tial flange attached coming off the back of the housing.

I had the VWR header, my solution was to have Dana weld on a larger runner to match my 60mm wastegate. But like racingfan said boost logic's already comes that way.

·
Motec - Race Smart
1,086 Posts
Here's a pic of how mine was.

Here is a snapshot of a datalog showing how well the boost control with 2 wastegates works. It holds my boost target really well even where I have it set to 23 psi in 1st gear. Considering the nitrous hits right on every gear change, I think the boost control does pretty well. This was with the 47-88.

-Darin

1 - 20 of 30 Posts