Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2JZ-Phantom
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, what is your take on the water cooled intercooler? I have an air to air one installed but my brother just gave me is water cool intercooler setup. Should I even bother installing it? That junk is heavy, even when empty, lol. Thanks

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,488 Posts
I would like to know as well.

Joe

·
Registered
318 Posts
Here is the thing with water to air...It's Only good for short distances...

Basically Air to Air is best, because you have the entire atmosphere to disapate the heat..

Where as Air to water you only have the cooling capacity of You water container.

Once that is saturated..even with a water Cooler attached..It takes enerygy and time to transfer the heat from the water back out to the air.

So to answer you question.

Yes they are good...ONLY if you plan to get every ounce of power for 1 run. Also you MUST use a large Water reseviour and a water cooler to be effecient..

That being said..For the average person..The same can be accoplished a lot easier with a C02 Kit.

·
2JZ-Phantom
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks. I kinda didn't want to be running with all tha water and deal with the wiring.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Here is the thing with water to air...It's Only good for short distances...

Basically Air to Air is best, because you have the entire atmosphere to disapate the heat..

Where as Air to water you only have the cooling capacity of You water container.

Once that is saturated..even with a water Cooler attached..It takes enerygy and time to transfer the heat from the water back out to the air.

So to answer you question.

Yes they are good...ONLY if you plan to get every ounce of power for 1 run. Also you MUST use a large Water reseviour and a water cooler to be effecient..

That being said..For the average person..The same can be accoplished a lot easier with a C02 Kit.
big negative.

water will always be more efficient at carrying heat away from the source (higher latent heat capacity). With CO2 you have to be careful about thermal shock. With water, you don't.

Of course if the system is something like the Ford Lightning uses that uses the A/C to chill the fluid down. Then liquid cooling is extremly viable. ;)

·
Registered
318 Posts
big negative.

water will always be more efficient at carrying heat away from the source (higher latent heat capacity). With CO2 you have to be careful about thermal shock. With water, you don't.

Of course if the system is something like the Ford Lightning uses that uses the A/C to chill the fluid down. Then liquid cooling is extremly viable. ;)
Woah there buddy before you big negative everything I wrote...I admit i was a tad bit off the 100% exact scientific results, but good enough for the average person.

Yes water can transfer heat quicker, but due to the lesser capacity, it's evens out to air.

I guess to be 100% accurate... a C02 wouldn't be IDENTICAL to a water IC, but for the average person, it's close enough...

And without knowing the exact specs on the water to air IC, we coudn't even say for sure that it wouldn't Hinder performance by being a restriction.

And PS. the lightning cooling system that you speak of never made it to production. They just use a water to air and the only reason is because you need a heat exchange between the blower and the manifold...obvioulsy can't use an air to air.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,210 Posts
W2A adds 1 more layer to the heat exchange process if it has it's own closed circuit cooling system with a pump fan and radiator.

It works very well in situations where an A2A would be heat soaked and useless ie: traffic or very low speed full throttle driving.

The but and there's always one once you get past 500rwhp the hardware becomes ENORMOUS heavy and hard to install due to space restrictions.

I know all this as I've ran both in the same car.

·
Registered
318 Posts
W2A adds 1 more layer to the heat exchange process if it has it's own closed circuit cooling system with a pump fan and radiator.

It works very well in situations where an A2A would be heat soaked and useless ie: traffic or very low speed full throttle driving.

The but and there's always one once you get past 500rwhp the hardware becomes ENORMOUS heavy and hard to install due to space restrictions.

I know all this as I've ran both in the same car.
This man knows what he's talking about.

Heres what a typical over 1000hp Air to water cooler looks like...

http://www.dmcracing.com/imagelib/s...ent/sitebuilderpictures/er51.jpg&target=_self

Takes up the entire passenger seat for the Heat exchanger.

·
Registered
84 Posts
^Damn that is ugly! Not gonna be winning any car shows with that lol.

What about a refrigeration unit? Kind of like an AC unit that is in the common car. I have always wondered wether this would be possible or not. Maybe like semi-enclosing the intercooler in a cold box. and feeding cool air into that box maybe? Or even putting ice water in that box or a refrigeration unit used to cool water that is cycled through, and no water is lost due to steam but is continually replaced? Of course that could be reaching the place of deminishing returns. I dont know I have thought of this before, but in the end Co2 just seemed more realistic.

Ryan

·
Registered
318 Posts
^Damn that is ugly! Not gonna be winning any car shows with that lol.

What about a refrigeration unit? Kind of like an AC unit that is in the common car. I have always wondered wether this would be possible or not. Maybe like semi-enclosing the intercooler in a cold box. and feeding cool air into that box maybe? Or even putting ice water in that box or a refrigeration unit used to cool water that is cycled through, and no water is lost due to steam but is continually replaced? Of course that could be reaching the place of deminishing returns. I dont know I have thought of this before, but in the end Co2 just seemed more realistic.

Ryan
That was what the guy above we was referring to in the lightning.. Ford had prototyped it and it was worth 60hp.

Basically what they did was, You press the button...wait for the lite to say go. it would then chill a closed loop system filled with a gycol like solution below freezing...

You "arm" it and Make your run. The intercooler charge temp was around 40 deg... and like i said was worth 60hp to the wheels..

Ford never went through with it.

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,488 Posts
That was what the guy above we was referring to in the lightning.. Ford had prototyped it and it was worth 60hp.

Basically what they did was, You press the button...wait for the lite to say go. it would then chill a closed loop system filled with a gycol like solution below freezing...

You "arm" it and Make your run. The intercooler charge temp was around 40 deg... and like i said was worth 60hp to the wheels..

Ford never went through with it.
Do you know why they aborted?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Do you know why they aborted?

They aborted the whole new lightning all together..

"Power to New Levels

Coletti's team fit the SVT Lightning concept with an all-aluminum, 5.4-liter DOHC supercharged and intercooled V-8 engine conservatively rated at 500 horsepower and 500 foot pounds of torque (SAE net). And while they were at it, they invented and patented a speed secret for those times when even that much power just isn't enough.

Ford's patented SuperCooler technology cleverly provides a special burst of power for the SVT Lightning concept. Traditional intercoolers dissipate heat from the supercharged air by circulating coolant through a front-mounted, air-cooled radiator. With the SuperCooler system, the vehicle's air conditioning system is used to chill a small storage tank of coolant to about 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

On demand, the SuperCooler system switches the intercooler flow from its normal circulation and dumps the chilled coolant into the engine's intercooler. In turn, the intercooler dissipates up to 20 percent more heat from the charge air - resulting in a denser air charge.

A green light on the instrument panel indicates the system's readiness. SuperCooler is activated automatically when the driver depresses the accelerator to a wide-open-throttle position.

This technology plays directly into the hands of the enthusiast, Coletti says. The SuperCooler provides the edge for the driver, and it is done simply by taking advantage of the hardware that already exists in the vehicle.

As a result of this cool technology, the SVT Lighting concept can give its driver as much as 50 transient horsepower for short bursts of 30-45 seconds and regenerate within 2 minutes under normal driving conditions. While its effect is similar to that of an aftermarket nitrous oxide system, the SuperCooler is completely self-contained, environmentally friendly and regenerative.

The SVT Lightning concept engine features a Lysholm, screw-type supercharger, paired with both an intercooler and the new SuperCooler system. The 32-valve, double-overhead-cam powerplant boasts Manley connecting rods, two fuel injectors per cylinder and high-performance heads similar to those on the limited-edition 2000 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra R.

Exhaust gases escape through free-flowing headers and dual side pipes, producing a classic American V-8 rumble. Power is delivered to the rear wheels through a six-speed manual transmission. The same Tremec T-56 transmission is used in the 2003 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra. In keeping with the performance nature of the SVT Lightning, the short-throw, console-mounted shifter is more like that of a sports car than a traditional pickup's long-shaft, floor mounted shift lever. "

1 - 14 of 14 Posts