Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need to replace the gaskets around the lights to fix this? I want to put subs back there, but I need to fix this first.

·
Powderin my balls since07
2,175 Posts
either that or the weatherstripping around the hatch...and check for rust holes ;)... if your lucky you will find that they actually help in draining the water out of tha hatch :)

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
my hatch seals or something..
i guess mine leaks where the bottom of the glass is...in the plastic crap..cuz when i look back there when someone runs water i see it dripping from the plastic ont he inside
i just took out the rubber grommet so it will drain

·
Project:: Reaper
1,401 Posts
yea my old MKIII had 3 gallons of water in each rear 1/4 panel that just stayed there

so i drilled holes and drained it

·
Dont question the good Dr
474 Posts
If you replace the taillight gaskets, use a sealant compound. Like black RTV silicone. the factory adhesive just comes apart in a couple of months and your back to having an aquarium for a hatch. Do the same on the rubber hatch seal. I used two tubes of the permatex black RTV silicone when I replaced my taillight seals and hatch seal. Never had water back there ever again.

·
Registered
469 Posts
yea my old MKIII had 3 gallons of water in each rear 1/4 panel that just stayed there

so i drilled holes and drained it
heh same here, just never drilled the holes. My hatch and targa both leak, you would've thought I'd get around to fixing it buy now, oh well, I just never take it out when it's raining.

·
is on supramania more
319 Posts
my hatch seals or something..
i guess mine leaks where the bottom of the glass is...in the plastic crap..cuz when i look back there when someone runs water i see it dripping from the plastic ont he inside
i just took out the rubber grommet so it will drain

I have the same problem as you. Whenever i open up the hatch watch drains out the bottom left hand side, i think it leaks in where the glass meets the metal piece and just sits in there until i open up the hatch. I dont think its a problem yet. Because when i open it there is no water on my subs or amps. seeing as how i have my box back there.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I too had a leak from the bottom of the hatch window. I put some clear silicone around the weather stripping, and in some cracks I had found. voila, no more water in my hatch. If only my targa was so easy to fix :(

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Like everyone else has said, there are three main areas to check - tail light gaskets, hatch weatherstripping, and the spoiler seals. To a lesser extent, water could find its way in through the antenna hole and the trim clips. The ugly fix: go nuts with rtv sealant. The correct fix: new gaskets and seals for everything.

·
is on supramania more
319 Posts
I too had a leak from the bottom of the hatch window. I put some clear silicone around the weather stripping, and in some cracks I had found. voila, no more water in my hatch. If only my targa was so easy to fix :(

Yea somone told me to do that. To put Silicone in that spot, But that metal piece on mine, comes off. I dont think it's suppose to come off. But The weird thing about my supra is when i bought it the guy told me that he never had a problem with the Targa leaking. And he was the 3rd owner. And now that i have it, Still it doesnt leak at all. Im suprised. But Happy at the same time!! :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts