Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alrite, I have to disconnect my negative battery terminal whenever my car is going to be parked where there is a chance of water getting on it. If I leave the battery connected and it rains over night, the next morning my battery will be dead. The water is giving me a short somewhere, but I have no clue where. I can only see two visible areas where water leaks.

1. Behind the drivers door by the side window, the leak is VERY small, like 1 drop falls every 5 mins when it rains HARD.

2. Water gets on the battery terminals under the hood when it rains hard for a long period of time.

The battery terminals getting wet could be what is doing it, but it only seems to happen when it rains really hard and my battery dies with light rain, even if i just spray the car down with a hose and then leave it.

So, my question is, are there any typical problems spots on the MK3 that i can look for that may be the culprit of my problem? anyone else have a problem like this?? Its a real hassle to have to disconnect the battery and connect it back all the time.

Also, according to the previous owner, if the car is driven while it is raining, the interior lights and some dash lights may come on and off randomly...but this problems has not YET happened to me. Thanks for any help, its appreciated.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Do you collect water in the spare tire well? The rear tail lenses often leak when old. There is a bulb monitor module attached to the back of the car, under the interior plastic. I'm sure strange things could happen if the module was soaked. So, if you have a puddle in the back there, it's an indication of wet stuff going on near the monitor and bulb assemblies.

·
Registered
75 Posts
As Suprasport said, there is a brake failure warning box in the back behind the trim. When my tailgate and tail lights were leaking my dashlights would go on and off, and that include all of them. The box isnt water tight at all and onlt takes a little bit of water to do somthing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts