Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon installation of downpipe and O2 sensor, my mechanic found that the carpet underneath the driver seat was saturated with water and smelled of mildew. I just checked underneath the passenger seat and the same thing is happening there -- saturated carpet below and behind, at foot of rear seats.

It seems as if rain water might be coming down behind the plastic trim adjacent to the rear seat. Could my targa leak water through this route, to pool up where noted? Or maybe I have a leak in the floorboards?

Note that I live in Seattle where it rains constantly, so water could very well be coming in from above or below.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This doesnt have anything to do with rain.

It's your AC Condenser. There is a rubber tube that leads from condenser (above ECU) to the outside, and its probably loose or chacked. Crawl under there and look above the ECU....you cant miss it.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm stumped. I pulled away the passenger side carpet and took the ECU kickplate off, but I see no rubber tubing up above at all.... just electrical wiring.

Are you suggesting that condensation, normally routed through a tube to the outside, is now filling up under both seats? How does the water get to the driver side? Also, I turned the AC on for some time while down there, but saw no evidence of any drip, etc. What am I missing?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have to look up top, behind the glove box. This rubber tube tends to slip off the condenser, and it saturates the passenger foot area carpet over time. AC running for a short while won't generate any condensation.....you need to use it for several hours steady. You remember how your car used to leave water trace behind passenger front rim after being parked in the summer? This is where this rubber tube routes out all the water. I used this same opening on my Supra to sneak Profec B and VPC wires thru the firewall. If you pull the carpet, and look above the ECU upper left corner, you can see the rubber tube go into the firewall. The other side of the same tube should be connected to the AC condenor drain cock. This end probably slipped off, or hose is cracked/damaged.

I am not sure how the water ends up on the drivers side too, and behind seats.....if that is the case your targa top might be leaking.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I believe I've found the problem, and it aint pretty. I ended up gutting the interior tonight of front and back seats, center console, and full carpet because of the amount of water found underneath all 3 seats. My leather back seat even had mold fuzz growing on the topside of it.....

The culprits are the damned air vents which route to the rear wheel/brake areas. Because I drive a lot in wet/rainy conditions, water seems to be traveling off the rear tires forward into the vents which, after enough time has seemed to pool up inside.

Is it right that these slat openings open right up to the car interior ??? Seems ridiculous to me, but it is pretty evident because there is silt & sludge in with the standing water... how else could that get there but off the road surface !

Whats really hard to believe is that no-one else has had this happen to them.... or am I missing a block-plate of sorts ?!?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Have you tried removing the plastic side body panel that forms the opening for the rear brake cooling duct? Water does get behind this panel as it is not sealed to the structure of the car at the duct opening. There should be a drain hole/holes at the bottom of the panel. Perhaps they are clogged and trapping water back there and as the level rises it drains into the car.
Never heard of this before. Let us know what you find out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts