Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just lately I've been noticing a squealing noise coming from under the cooling fan. Also I've noticed small puddles of anti-freeze...it only leaks when the car is cool, then stops once it warms (the squealing stops after it runs for 2-3 min)
I'm pretty sure its the water pump, but not 100%, if anyone thinks it may be something else let me know. The car has 56,000 miles on it, is this early for it to be going or what?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Sure sounds like it. Toyota red leaves a nice residue wherever it leaks from, so you should be able to get under the car, but its most likely coming from the water pump. Mine went at 45k, some seem to last longer than others... On the bright side a new one is only $90.

·
Track Junkie
1,577 Posts
Just blow mine at 65k. Had Toyota chaned thermostat, water pump, and timming belt for freaking $720 (I think I got ripped off)...

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
you think :(
AtlSupra said:
Just blow mine at 65k. Had Toyota chaned thermostat, water pump, and timming belt for freaking $720 (I think I got ripped off)...

·
Track Junkie
1,577 Posts
Yes, I think :( b/c I had no experience before this happened. Toyota initially told me the total will be $609 which will only charge the parts price on timming belt, but later when I picked up the car, they said it's gonna be $720 b/c they charged labor for timming belt. The funny part is, the guy said, it will save me more money if they do this way. Yeah right, save me -$120, and they will never see me going there again.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah...I figured timing belt but wasn't sure...my old mk3 supra lasted 125,000 miles before its water pump went.:D Looks like its time to do my timing belt, water pump, and what else should be done while all that shit is out???

Thanks

·
Track Junkie
1,577 Posts
Many suggest aftermarket cams when doing the timming belt. I don't care about the extra 10hp gain, so I didn't bother to change it besides I was too poor to get it changed anyways :D

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had similar thing a few months back. The crank pully had begun to seperate (its comprised of two pieces) and would slip now and then causing this horrible squeaking sound.

I had that fixed and the problem went away.

It has, however, returned in a different form. I have the electric fans and definatly feel that its coming from the water pump. Its good to know I'm not the only one that had this happen to them before.

My car has also been having some cooling problems. I wonder if the two are interrelated... hrmm...

I'll be changing that out as soon as I get home.

Jon
'94 SP60 .70A/R

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, guess its time for me to stop procrastinating and just get this shit done...so, I'm gonna do the water pump, timing belt, and throw on a set of hks cam gears ;) anything else I should change that may be worth the money in order to save a hassle later?

Thanks for the responses.

·
Track Junkie
1,577 Posts
Also have them check your engene sealer. You can do it later at 120k service, if no leak, that's great, but if already leaking, you might want to do it earlier. Price from toyota was $120 to do that.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I'm not bringing it anywhere...I'm doing it myself (and help of a couple supra buddies...Al, Logan ;) ) Hopefully it won't take too long...hopefully a days work w/air tools. *Hopefully* being the key word...I just hope my car lasts until dragday on the 19th...it should...nothing too serious yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts