·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
285 Posts
xsentrixsupra said:
Don't think i've ever heard of spraying it with water......I've herad of spraying it with nitrous or C02 before though.......
too much effort for very minimal gains.... the pump doesn't pump that much water... get it positioned right and a good nozzle that'll spread decently.. it'll lower the surface temp and the core temp of the stock IC.. but not by much... its something.. but in my opinion, a little too much effort... now, if you can find larger tank of water and a stronger pump... u could mix water, alcohol and ice in there and that'll help a lot more...

·
Registered
285 Posts
...oh yeah.. and timing the sprays correctly will help too..u know... when the temp is trying to rise, moderate to high boost

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,487 Posts
xsentrixsupra said:
Don't think i've ever heard of spraying it with water......I've herad of spraying it with nitrous or C02 before though.......
The WRX STIs are using that. In the trunk there is a tank for water, by buddy uses ice.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TommyR1 said:
...oh yeah.. and timing the sprays correctly will help too..u know... when the temp is trying to rise, moderate to high boost

I don't remember the link but there was an article written by some guy on this forum that basically says for road going real world conditions intercoolers work more like heat sinks than like radiators ie they absorb the spike in temp when you hit high boost and slowly dissipate the heat. so it actually isn't critical when you spray the intercooler as long as you do it _before_ you step hard on the gas to give the intercooler a chance to cool down first.

i read another article somewhere else that said when you spray the intercooler you might cause temp to go up a bit until the water starts to evaporate at which time the intercoolers temp ends up lower, which is the whole point of the exercise, so it seems like it's best to spray the IC well before you are going to go on high boost.

these are all unconfirmed things i found on net - i don't know how accurate they are

·
You Can [Not] Advance
2,871 Posts
LLCoolJ94 said:
The WRX STIs are using that. In the trunk there is a tank for water, by buddy uses ice.
The LanEVO VIII has the same thing

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
Iam spraying my front mount.

http://www.geocities.com/roxys_world2002/zip2.html

And if there is a benefit for spraying a front mount, there will be a benefit to spraying the stock one. On hot days, and in road racing like I do, your intercooler will get heat soaked because the ambient temp isn't low enough to cooler the intercooler at the rate it is being heated.

Lots of racers do this on their intercoolers. Professional and club racers alike.

Matt

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
turbomx5 said:
Iam spraying my front mount.

http://www.geocities.com/roxys_world2002/zip2.html

And if there is a benefit for spraying a front mount, there will be a benefit to spraying the stock one. On hot days, and in road racing like I do, your intercooler will get heat soaked because the ambient temp isn't low enough to cooler the intercooler at the rate it is being heated.

Lots of racers do this on their intercoolers. Professional and club racers alike.

Matt
Matt: how big a water tank do you use?

i'm seriously considering going ahead with this now with a separate pump and water tank in the boot. it will still be useful for when i eventually get a front mount intercooler as i'll just reroute the water spray lines.

does anyone think water hitting one brake and not the other will cause any problems? ie with uneven braking?

if anyone has already set up a water spray for a stock intercooler post your experience with it + or -

1 - 11 of 11 Posts