Supra Forums banner

Water temp Question.

2K views 45 replies 14 participants last post by  AlexSmith 
#1 ·
Now that I have an accurate water temp gauge, I know the exact temps. At highway and normal driving it stays at 210, and during hard boosting, it can reach 230 F. Everything is stock on the engine, is this normal opperating temps, or is something wrong?

-Alex

#3 ·
No, this is way beyond normal. 210 is really high, 230 is where you start to break stuff. Mine runs on freeway at 165 and 180 when boosting hard. You should check your coolant, maybe flush it. I would also do a compression test. Hope this helps :)

#5 ·
I am also running on pure water, which should make it cooler. So I see this is a concern now. So what all could it be? I am planning for a coolant flush, I guess a new T stat, and a compression test I guess.

#7 ·
With the pure water... well I am planning on changing that with the flush. I thought that would make it run cooler until I could find the cause of the high temps.

#9 ·
Thanks Ian, I'll get that done ASAP. Any other suggestions as to what the problem could be or what I should replace?

#11 ·
The radiator "looks" fine to me, but I am amatuer. The AC condensor is not active, as the belt is not driving it (it's off). I'll check on the timing, and the second cat was removed.

#13 ·
So wait . . . it hurts your engine to run on 100% water?

I was about to do 25% Coolant 75% Water and WaterWetter

Would this be ok?

#14 ·
I am assuming you mean clogged on the inside, as there are bugs and road debris on the radiator itself. I do not have the engine undertray, but I was told from several people that live in the area that it really does not matter... at least on their cars(Supras). I am assuming that there is a T-stat, the temp stays at 210 and won't go past that unless boosting, so I am assuming that is the temp. T stats are stock items right? Sorry if that was a newb question.

#16 ·
So wait . . . it hurts your engine to run on 100% water?

I was about to do 25% Coolant 75% Water and WaterWetter

Would this be ok?

Should I use distilled water? would that help? please explain

#18 ·
Alex: Undertray makes a HUGE difference at speed on our cars....

210f sounds way too hot 187>194 is the spec.

STU: Yes it'll kill a motor quiclky :(

Distilled is a good start but you MUST run coolant mixed to the directions and then keep some of the same mix for top ups so you don't dilute it.

#21 ·
there is a temp rating for tthe thermostat. you can get different ones that open at different temps. 185, 195, 200...etc.
and yes they are stock items. lol
hes saying are there leaves and bugs in front of the condenser and also inbetween the condenser and the radiator.
You are always suppose to use coolant and dilute it with distilled water.
i learned from my last motor not to run straight water....when i pulled the head off there was so much pitting...but that could have been caused too because of the bhg. :D
so this time with my new"er" motor i put in a lot of coolant!

#25 ·
So now i'm freaked out that my block will be eaten away by water . . . . what mix should I use?
How much coolant is enough to keep the water from doing damage? I'm doing a flush and replacing coolant, water, and water wetter.

#27 ·
I try to get as close to a 50/50 mix as I can. Pour in 1 gallon coolant, 1 gallon of water. Pour half of second gal. of coolant in the empty bottle, top off both with water. Top off the rad. and reservouir with one, and keep the other tucked behind the drivers seat.

#28 ·
I run distilled water and royal purple water wetter (it's the ONLY one that is rated to actually protect your collant system like normal antifreeze!!)

I'd have to look your car alex to really see, but it's probably a tired radiator (if it's been through a nasty BHG it's clogged to hell)

The engine I hav in my car right now I got with a BHG...it was run on STRAIGHT WATER. It eroded a coolant hole in the head by the headgasket to the point of getting to the fire ring. RUN COOLANT OR ROYAL PURPLE, it WILL save your engine!!!

Blades on the waterpump are fine though it had TONS of barnicles in there...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.