Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
United States of America
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
water temp sensor Q : Resolution

how likely is the water temp sensor my problem?

First time cranking it, it has to crank several times to fire up.
on cold start it idles fine, close to 1000, for warm up.
after it warms up, idle fluctuates between what looks to be 500-550rpm

I've set tps, timing. checked isc, egr, plugs and wires, all vacuum lines - good
Water temp sensor has a crack around it and it wiggles. I don't, however, have code 22.

·
I don't want an MK4!
1,727 Posts
Wish I had an answer. If the sensor has a crack and wiggles, I would consider replacing it.

I apologize, but your mods escape me, though I know you have the ZT2 like myself.

I did add a bit of fuel for the idle on my SAFC after the Lex/550 mod was done, prior to installing the AFPR, to get the idle a bit more steady.

My goal has been to tune in closed loop to get my Vf voltage as close to 2.5 as possible.

Hopefully people with more knowledge than myself will have an answer for you.

Dan

·
United States of America
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dan - I think I am going to go ahead and replace it. AutoZone has it $25. I haven't done the tsrm resistance check on it yet, but being cracked just above the seat and wiggling like it is, I'm thinking like you - go ahead and replace it.
Did the guy that bought your spare ZT2 get his problem fixed?

timmer - the cold start injector is another thing I'm looking at. I haven't done the tsrm check on it yet. My fuel pressure seems good and the cold start injector time switch measures good. And the idle..... is like crap @ 500~550

BTW - no codes, just the continuous flashing 'all good' :dunno:

D
0 Posts
I dont think the cold start injector is the problem, because Im having he same issue and Ive test, removed and cleaned my cold start inj. I dont know what to tell you, Im trying to figure this out too. For the time being, I set the throttle adjustment screw to make the car idle a little higher.

If you figure it out before I do, let me know.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
isnms said:
how likely is the water temp sensor my problem?

First time cranking it, it has to crank several times to fire up.
on cold start it idles fine, close to 1000, for warm up.
after it warms up, idle fluctuates between what looks to be 500-550rpm

I've set tps, timing. checked isc, egr, plugs and wires, all vacuum lines - good
Water temp sensor has a crack around it and it wiggles. I don't, however, have code 22.
i have the exact same problem :(

·
United States of America
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
that's the one. i will replace it
as it listed, prominently, in each of the TCCS centrally controlled EFI, ESA and ISC
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/fi/FI_004.html
and your information that, it could cause problems without throwing a code

it will be a couple of days, i'll post results after.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
isnms said:
that's the one. i will replace it
as it listed, prominently, in each of the TCCS centrally controlled EFI, ESA and ISC
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/fi/FI_004.html
and your information that, it could cause problems without throwing a code

it will be a couple of days, i'll post results after.
please post pics of the location of the coolant temperature sensor. I just bought one from autozone and it doesn't seem to connect to any of the plug at the thermostat housing unit.

Now i'm all confused.

could you post pics of the location of the coolant temp sensor & the new coolant temperature unit itself?

·
United States of America
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
this is the sensor for the gauge

this is the sensor for the computer

edit: better picture posted below

·
Banned
216 Posts
a faulty engine temperature sensor(ecu) makes the ecu think its running to hot, so to compensate it richens up the mix, which fucks up a ton of shit

·
United States of America
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this is a better picture. ecu water temp sensor has the green connector. gauge sensor is below that

D
0 Posts
isnms said:
this is the sensor for the gauge

this is the sensor for the computer

the sensor for the computer goes below the BVSV (pictured) and the gauge sensor goes below that
Thats what I assume too. According to this pic:

http://www.ma70.com/bishop92t/techtips/7mlayout1.jpg

its not the brown connecter on the top and the lower two on the front are for the ac unit, so I think that has to be it.

·
United States of America
1,469 Posts
D
0 Posts
ok, so I replaced mine and it didn't seem to help. Bellow 800 rpm it bounces 50-100 rpms and breaks up alittle. :dunno:

Heres the part number: 89422-12010

If I can find my trm, I will find out how to test it, because at $74 its not cheap.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
ok, so I replaced mine and it didn't seem to help. Bellow 800 rpm it bounces 50-100 rpms and breaks up alittle. :dunno:

Heres the part number: 89422-12010

If I can find my trm, I will find out how to test it, because at $74 its not cheap.

Toyota only quoted $52 dollars.

Autozone price is $26. But the fucker gave me the wrong one. It doesn't even fit my god damn car. I love the high caliber people they hire working for them. They can't even tell their ass from their face.

D
0 Posts
Kroze said:

Autozone price is $26. But the fucker gave me the wrong one. It doesn't even fit my god damn car. I love the high caliber people they hire working for them. They can't even tell their ass from their face.

Yea, according to autozones website, they cant get it. So I never called my local store.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=C001&UserAction=performSearch&Parameters=Auto+Store|~REGULAR+PARTS+LOOK+UP|~COOLANT+TEMPERATURE+SENSOR
I assume its the one listed as engine temp sensor

also to test it, it is: http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/fi/FI_113.html

To test the gauge temp sensor its: http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/be/BE_041.html
on to the next page. In my paper copy tsrm its BE-36

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
so that is the same sensor that controls the cold start injector... my car cranks 3 or 4 time when cold to start, and also has a hard time doing hot starts after about 15min of cooling

·
I don't want an MK4!
1,727 Posts
Kroze said:

They saw you coming man. They said this is the guy that cheaps out on his Supra and then bitches about how unreliable it is.

They just wanted to piss you off and give you more ammo to bitch about the MK3!

Not trying to jack your thread isnms.

Not sure whats up with the guys ZT2. I do want to get it sorted though, since it was brand new and mine/yours doesn't work like that.

Dan

1 - 20 of 45 Posts